gw_oakley

Guilty pleasures during Isolation...2 books and 2 app games

Oakley

My topic my rules. This is only about books and app games. What books and app games have you read and played that are like guilty pleasures that you'd recommend? The funnier the better. Surely some of you play something other than word games. :)

2 books max

2 games max

• Oakley

Books: Forever Amber I know I've mentioned this book several times but there's a reason. Read the reviews and if you want more history on this once banned book, look it up on Wikipedia. Almost a 1,000 pages and I didn't want it to end.

Lots of true facts and historical characters in the book.

Elizabeth, The Queen Mother I've only read about 100 pages and I give it five stars but there's one problem which will take me forever to get through it. There's so much information I'm constantly looking things up! Not complaining really.

App Games: I play all my games on iPad.

June's Journey This is a hidden objects game and you get to design your own island. Such beautiful graphics. You begin with one beautiful house and everything else you have to buy with points. ADDICTIVE! The outdoor decor is amazing, but you only get one section on the island to decorate at at time until you get a bit further in the game and they open another section. You should look up JJ's images online. FUN.

Wonka's World of Candy Match 3 This is my guilty pleasure game. One of the best M3 games, IMO.

• bbstx

Games:

New York Times Crossword Puzzle (some free things, but subscription to get the daily puzzle)

Words With Friends

ETA: Oh dear, I just saw you were looking for other than word games. I used to play Tetris on DD’s Nintendo, but it doesn’t work well on my iPad.

Books:

The Shooting at Chateau Rock by Martin Walker

• tuesday_2008

I’m hooked on Jigsaw Explorer....I think Olychic mentioned that her grandson liked it😜. Have also played Jigzone for years.

• msmeow

Books: I've been reading James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. I've read books 1 - 13 in record time. Can't put them down!

Apps: I spend FAR too much time on Gummy Drop! I also play a lot of Fairway Solitaire, which is a combination of cards and golf, with a resident gopher named McDivot who pops up randomly. :)

Donna

• czarinalex

Books: Just finished This Tender Land by William Krueger. Highly recommend!

Apps: While my dh watches mindless TV in the evening, I play Home Design Makeover on my tablet. It's equally mindless. You decorate rooms using money you earn playing candy crush type games. But you get to choose between 3 different similar items(ie.. 3 different coffee tables). They also have challenges where you compete to see who gets the most 'coupons'(also earned by playing games). I feel oddly competitive during these challenges. LOL.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

On my android tablet I enjoy Rummy Cubes and Triples, both free from the Google Play Store.

I've just begun listening to Mo Rocca's Mobituraries podcast. He has a book by the same name so I'm counting the podcast as a book.

Thanks for starting this Oakley. I look forward to others' recommendations, especially in the games category.

• Oakley

You're welcome, June! I'm writing down new games right now. Today was the first time I left the house in a month, so you can imagine how much time I spend playing games.

Please please somebody read Forever Amber!! It's an old movie too but it got bad reviews.

ETA: I looked up Mobituaries, and it looks to be good!

• girlnamedgalez8a

Oakley I just purchased Forever Amber for my Kindle. I am looking forward to reading it!

Oakley thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • norar_il

Books: haven't read any lately that I really recommend. Right now I'm starting on How to Start a Fire by Lisa Lutz. She wrote the Spellman series which were quite funny and enjoyable, so I have high hopes for this one.

Games: Clash Royale. I started playing that after my grandson kept begging me to do so. Addicted? I play a few games a day if that makes me addicted. Between that and a word game, I waste way too much time, but I would like to start something new.

• Toby

I love Fishdom. It's a match 3 game but you earn aquariums that you decorate and can compete on teams or individually for boosters. It's got great graphics and no ads.

• Tootsie

I listen to a lot of podcasts, milkstreet, proof, armchair expert, Noble blood, ridiculous history...

• OutsidePlaying

I don’t play app games or any others.

I too recently read Kreuger’s This Tender Land (excellent) and just finished Janet Evanovich’s Twisted Twenty-six, the latest Stephanie Plum adventure. Needed something light.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I play games daily & prefer puzzles, word games & hidden object adventure games. Lately, it's mostly word games and solitaire.

But I don't feel guilty, so does it still count?

I play Wordscraper on FB - a Scrabble clone that allows fantastically high scores, but only works on my desktop, and WordBrain, among other things, on my phone.

And lately, I've been reading everything I can find by Diana Wynne Jones that I haven't already read - mostly YA/Youth. Luckily, she was very prolific! It's total escapism into well crafted fantasy and there's always a happy ending.

I also read 'How I Live Now' in 1 night after watching the movie. I was a bit surprised by how very different from each other the book and the film were, but both are very good.

Something about books & stories for and about young people that provide a feeling of hopefulness...

P.S. If you want a game that's not a word game, try World Of Goo. It's quite unique and really stretches your mind.

• Tina Marie

I have started reading again (bought a Kindle Fire 1st of the year). I recently read Ordinary Grace by William Kreuger. Outside, I used to read Janet Evanovich - I need to look at those, not sure where I left off!

No games or apps. When I retired, I promised myself I would not go down the internet rabbit hole, so I limit my time there. Instagram is enough for me. Enjoying getting projects done around the house and yard. Long drives if we need a change of scenery!

• praha

Books: Victoria the Queen, by Julia Baird. Baird is a very good writer and has a sense of humor about her subject. 11/22/63, by Stephen King. His best book, in my opinion, and not at all creepy or gory in the expected King fashion. I also loved his The Stand, but would read the other one first.

Games: The reasonably challenging crossword puzzle in New York Magazine. Available online, but I have a subscription to the magazine and prefer working it irl.

And Jigsaw Planet's vast selection of beautiful online puzzles. I usually choose a colorful, complex, interesting one and work on it on and off over a day or two.

Sable, aka "praha".

• bbstx

@praha, thanks for the Jigsaw Planet recommendation! As a test of the site, I started with the easiest puzzle. I like it!!!

• Oakley
    yesterday

Girl, let me know if you like it. This is the first time I wanted the protagonist/heroine to get her comeuppance! And that's all I'm saying. You can message me if you finished the book. It's a long one.

Toby, I got very far in Fishdom & then it became too hard and I quit cold turkey. I was sad because it used to be my fave game too. You'd definitely like Wonka's World of Candy, Match 3. Good graphics and a side game of match three. Have you played Gardenscapes? It's by the makers of Fishdom, same good graphics and fun, and it also got too hard for me. :(

Is there a good crossword puzzle app for iPad? I'm having a hard time finding one.

• bbstx
    yesterday

@Oakley, I finally had to break down and subscribe to the NYT crossword puzzle. It is $40/yr, I think.

• pudgeder
    22 hours ago

Games:

Aside from the word games listed above,

Toon Blast and Toy Blast. They're both match games, but a bit different. Both of these are by Peak. I originally downloaded the for the grandson to play while we were waiting to be seated at a restaurant. (back in the day.... ;) )And now I enjoy them too!

I also have Fishdom. It can get hard, but when you get past the "hard" levels, there's usually about 4 or 5 easier ones.

These have NO ads!!! Big plus.

• bbstx
    22 hours ago

Well, I finally figured out how to lighten the background on Jigsaw Planet so I can see the outlines of the pieces. I also discovered that my “piece” limit is about 225. Otherwise I cannot get them spread out enough to see what I’m doing.

• praha
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 12 hours ago

Bbstx - I also play around with the background of the puzzles. Different puzzles require different backgrounds! I love the variety available. My favorite types are rooms with a lot of "stuff" and outdoor village scenes. If I am in need of cheering up I look for Christmas scenes - so many choices!

Sable, aka "praha"