3katz4me

I kind of like this house

3katz4me

This is not usually my style but I find I quite like this. I usually like something more warm and cozy. I like the wood, windows and clean lines and the fact it’s different from every other real estate listing I’ve perused. I could live here if it had a decent tub in the master bath in addition to the shower (though I don’t care for the black tile).

House for sale

• ded_tired

I kind of like it, too! It has a very Frank Lloyd Wright, Arts and Crafts style. Love all the light. I really love how far away the neighbors are. Not the house itself, but ost of the funishings are fairly stylish and fit the house. However, the music room and master bedroom revert to a “cute country” look. I agree about the black tile.

In general i do not like a house that has garage doors that face the street, however these are attractive. It’s really a lovely home and would easily cost twice as much if it were near me.

• pudgeder

Clean lines and all, it's quite lovely.

Considering all the light in the house, I wonder why they went with black tile?

My house finally feels like a home--thank you!

Lamps are nice and shapes in base reflect cabinet detail which is nice. Put lamps about 10” in from ends of cabinet. It is ok if shades overlap mirror a tad. Get cords hidden behind and down back of cabinet. Cute pumpkins. Might add more to match scale of table. Just finishing details. Very nice and you have done a beautiful job.

furniture like funeral home in beach condo how to update

Please don't paint it. There is wood, even near the beach. Just work with the fabrics, recover to shades of blues and sand, and place some dark navy or seaweed and sand, color rugs. That stuff was so expensive, it would be sinful to paint it. It was meant to be heirloom by the purchasers. Everyone needs a place to store books, dishes, family photos. Your curio cabinets will store many things, including shells and sea glass treasures. Give your self some time, it heals many things. Either he will become less attached to it, or you will find the memories in it that he knows very important, if that is his feelings for it? Maybe you won't have the beach house forever. Maybe you will 'grow into' such fine furniture. It's just a shame that one generation bought homes full of expensive craftsmen oriented furniture....and the 2nd generation just has fits over open shelves on what was upper kitchen walls and IKEA cloth baskets on laminate coated sawdust shelving in the bedrooms/playrooms/offices..? LOL Who would have thought, just 25 years could make such a difference?? Hope you get some additional nice interior ideas to help this blend.

How can the front of the house look more like the front? See photos

Yes I definitely want to relocate the door and stairs to the front center and remove that flat roof because it is sagging anyways. i Like the bump out vestibule because it is a nice space before entering the main room but I don’t know what to do with the sides in front of the windows. Would it look weird to have the bumpout and have a porch on both sides and in front of the bumpout?

What kind of home is this?

I hear ya. My kid calls it Voldemort's house (charming, right?)
  • Yayagal

I would love that.

• bpath

Oh, I could readily live there. I might remove the trim on the columns and stub walls, but other than those u like the theme of Ls. Warm, but not dark. And I like the nook in the master, one of us could get up to read in the middle of the night, without waking the other and without having to go to the living room.

I love the open space around, but it's not isolated in the middle of nowhere with no services. And DH could finally get a plane! He'd certainly enjoy plane-spotting from the yard.

• DLM2000-GW

Love it - could totally live with it as is.

• Feathers11

It doesn't compete with its natural setting--I love that.

eta I don't care for the prominence of the garage, either. I don't like when visually the garage outweighs the house. But I think this is one of those houses where the front of the house is the "back" and the back of the house is the "front." In that case, I love the "front."

• Jinx

I like it a lot ... especially that it has the feel of a genuine 50’s - 60’s home that has been updated while keeping the character. They really did a great job with it. It has such a cozy and loved aura. Thank you for sharing!

• localeater

It's very nicely done. I concur the black bathroom tiles are an odd choice, maybe they are better IRL. I think the screen room is my favorite room in the house. I thought the kitchen was a tad uninspired, not quite up to the same level as other rooms.

• sushipup1

Very nice, thanks for posting.

A pet peeve, not related to the house itself --- too many pictures, editing needed!

• Lukki Irish

Very nice, I too like the cleanliness of the lines, it’s not fussy. If I had any complaint it would be that the consistency of the finishes throughout makes it boring to the eye, everything is just kind of expected and what makes it stick out is all of the windows.

• bpath

I think I’d move the bed to under the windows, to make it easier to get to the closet. ( That closet is exactly why I don’t like walk-in closets, I don’t like being surrounded on all sides by all that visual clutter. Not to mention I’m a bit claustrophobic.) (I know I’m also in the minority for liking a hipped roof.)

I really like the house.

• ded_tired

Sushi, i agree. I kept thinking when are these pictures going to end?

• IdaClaire

It's a beauty.

• Bunny

It's really nice. Wonderful light with all those windows and beautiful wood. I don't mind that there were 50+ photos, plus it tells you how many there are. :) It's just the lag time/circles transition between each one that I found annoying. They were good quality photos, however, so maybe that accounts for the lag time.

• 3katz4me

I thought there were a few too many similar exterior photos. It’s interesting how many people don‘t like front facing garages. It’s so common here that I find the look of a side facing garage a bit odd - kind of a mass of house that needs a garage to break it up. They were more common in our old neighborhood where we had large lots that could accommodate a good size house plus a side driveway within the setbacks.

• Bunny

In my community, virtually all the garages are front-facing. Most street frontages and lot sizes won't accommodate anything else. I don't even notice it. My garage is not only front-facing, it projects out beyond the front of the house. Without that, a big junk of my backyard would be gone.

• jakabedy
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

It’s really nice. I like that they restrained themselves when it came to finishes. My only VERY picky comment: I’d want the grain on the cabinets and drawers to be either all vertical or all horizontal. Having the doors vertical grain and drawers horizontal grain was undoubtedly the most efficient use of material, but they catch the light differently. They missed an opportunity there.

• Sueb20
    yesterday

I’d mostly enjoy telling people that I live on Lake Elmo.,

• mtnrdredux_gw
    yesterday

I love the entry, especially lit up at night. It's all very airy. I like the blonde wood in the MBR vanity.

I find the vistas kind of odd; it seems like the front of other people's homes?

I think the reason I eschew front-facing garages is that it immediately time stamps a house. A front garage is not colonial or Queen Anne or Tuscan or Cape cod; it has to be a fairly "modern" home. I actually like a separate garage, I admit. (form over function here, all the way!)

• Feathers11
    yesterday

Haha! Omg, Sue. :-)

• Bunny
    yesterday

Well, it's a good thing my modest tract house isn't trying to be a colonial, Queen Anne, Tuscan, or Cape Cod. It's got 1991 stamped all over it.

• bpath
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Mtn, this house in Minnesota definitely wants an attached garage, and front-facing means less snow to shovel!

Having grown up in and now living in a mid-century neighborhood, front-facing garages are the norm for me. Not snout garages, mind you, just front-facing. (That said, the house across the street from us is an oddity in the neighborhood, with its rear-facing garage. What bugs me is that the garage window faces our house so we see their headlights for 10 whole seconds when they pull in.)

• 3katz4me
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Here in the land of ice and snow I definitely want my garage attached. Function over form all the way - my FIL died when he fell on the ice between his separate garage and the house. Plus we haul our cats back and forth from the lake and they jump out of the car in the attached garage and run inside the house.

• Bunny
    yesterday

Sweet, I have a snout garage. It's so prominent it's where I put my house number. First responders can't miss it. :)

• gsciencechick
    yesterday

Love the house. Looks like it‘s near but not on a waterfront? The only thing I don’t like is the lot is kind of boring. It’s just this expanse of green grass. I wish there were more trees. But maybe that would block the view of the lake? but overall, pretty nice!

• 3katz4me
    yesterday

Speaking of front facing attached garages, here’s one of mine. This looks completely “normal” to me.

• blfenton
    yesterday

Love the house but do not like the setting. Where are the trees? It's just so open. From a distance it looks like a clubhouse on a golf course.

• Lars
    yesterday

I sort of like it; i.e., I like it more than I dislike it, but it does look like it is on a cow pasture. You could graze quite a few sheep there.

I do not like the kitchen, as I do not like open kitchens. I do not want a view of the refrigerator and stove when I am in the dining room or living room, and I would need more walls for hanging art anyway.

Too many windows, and all with boring views, but then I am used to looking at mountains - or at least at tropical plants or a swimming pool. Maybe if there were some horses on the property the views would be more interesting - or at least more animated.

I do like the black tile in the bathroom, however.

• bpath
    yesterday

I guess I could nitpick a little more. I’d like the foyer to be a bit more enclosed, perhaps a stub wall to the left to separate the dining room a bit. More drawers in the kitchen. I do wonder where the dishes go when unloaded from the dishwasher ( I’m spoiled with all my tabletop storage right by the dishwasher, I don‘t have to move a step, and the cookware is just 4‘ away from the DW)

I’d need to lower the tv in the main living room — is that a small tv up above?— and I’d want some shelves on the wall opposite (with art above).

Even though it’s open concept, the kitchen feels just a bit tucked away, it’s not designed to be the center of attention and activity.

But I love how the house appears designed for the site. It it becomes part of the prairie-scape.

I imagine deer and coyotes keep the view animated!

• 3katz4me
    yesterday

Lars - the site may very well have been a cow pasture in its previous life. Very common here for farmers in urban sprawl areas to sell their land to a developer and then you have the no tree situation.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    yesterday

There's a lot to like in that house...love all the glass...love the deep overhangs and the finished lower level is probably quite energy efficient as is the in-floor heating. I don't normally like blonde wood, but in this case it's very fitting with the house. The furnishings in that music room were out of place though.

But I'd want that house some place else... there's something about all those windows overlooking other people's houses that's disconcerting to me. I guess it's part and parcel of the prairie, but I'm not used to it.

• l pinkmountain
    yesterday

For those of you who think the house looks "warm" best to visit MN in the winter first! All I could think of is, "That would cost a bundle to heat!" That said, I would love a music room and a closed in porch with a fireplace! Also, I love homes with lots of wood and light. Our house is dark due to some design issues, but also due to the main orientation of the windows in the home being towards the tree-shaded north side. That's one downside of a house with a garage in front of half of the house, that half can only have windows on the walls of the rooms facing away from the garage. All the spaces in that house seem very well designed for their uses.

• OutsidePlaying
    yesterday

It’s very nice, but I agree there were way too many photos, especially of the exterior. I thought it was pretty boring in trying to be over-neutral. I loved the screened porch.

• jill302
    22 hours ago

Overall love the house. Like the updated prairie vibe and all the windows. However, I have no love for any of the bathrooms.

• tuesday_2008
    17 hours ago

I agree that there are too many duplicate photos, but I LOVE the photos taken at dusk showcasing how the house looks with all the lights. Good photography! Reminded me of Mtn’s conversation about photos of her home in different seasons, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    15 hours ago

3Katz, your house (which is lovely BTW) has a lot more mass on the right than where the garages are, and more visual interest. The listing almost looks like it's 50% garage. OMG that's terrible about your FIL.

Ive never heard of a snout garage before. When I googled it, this was one design. This looks great to me; again, far more mass and visual interest on the house va garage.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

We went through the battle with our architect about the front facing garage. All the houses with side facing garages I've been to leave me with that "how do I get in" dilemma: What kind of friend am I??? Am I an acquaintance and need to use the front door? Am I a good enough friend to head to the back deck? Or am I a BFF that can just go through the garage? I've been to places with side garages where they don't even have a walkway to the front door.

With our front facing garage, it's very easy...pull in the drive, the front door is right there for everyone to use with a nice wide welcoming walkway. We made sure the entry is the more prominent feature on the facade and the garage is recessed. Not to mention that we love the shorter driveway all winter long...

"Snout house" is a new one on me.

• 3katz4me
    8 hours ago

Annie - our last house was like that - where do I go in?? It was a pretty unusual house and the side garage was quite far back from the front door with no clear route to the front. Even worse there was no back door other than through the garage. And in the winter it was a real mess so pretty much everyone came in through the garage. That was one of many things that made me decide it was time to move on after 23 years.

• bpath
    5 hours ago

Wherever the garage is, what really matters is the driveway and its connection to the front door, if the driveway can swing across the front of the house, near the front door, problem solved. Or at least have a section to pull off and park neared the front door.

• Jinx
    5 hours ago

Courtyard style garage here and our last house, and I love it. It works very well for how we live. I especially like that I can be working in the garage, and have easy access to/see the front door area, but am not facing out into the street. And I like how it gives more driveway space. At both homes with this style, I’ve planted things around it that make it feel lush and lovely. I do wish our driveway was a decorative surface, though, instead of just concrete. I’d love pavers, aggregate, etc.

• Arapaho-Rd
    5 hours ago

The lines, minimal design gives such a clean feel to the home. I've never seen so many windows and my first thought is how do you keep them sparkling, spot free like they look in the photos.

• ladypat1
    2 hours ago

Love that house. It has what iI like in my own home, All one level, lots of windows, and tray ceilings to make it seem bigger.

• B F
    16 minutes ago

I love it! if it were mine, I'd amp up the midcentury for sure.

I wouldn't love the location though. I need to be able to walk to everything.