pmosier61

Can this bathroom be reconfigured?

Sofia

This is a small bathroom that started out as a powder room. We decided to add a shower since it’s adjacent to Beth the mud room and exercise room.

Now that I’m getting ready to work on cabinets, I noticed that there’s no storage in this room and the shower (3’ x 3’) is on the small side for my 6’ 3” hubs.

I’m wondering whether this room can be reconfigured to (1) add storage (under sink or linen cabinet) and (2) make the shower a little bigger. Strong preference to avoid seeing the toilet from the hallway when the bathroom door is left open.

Ideas?

• suzanne_m

storage and shower in the ADU are easy to solve. I would also change the configuration of its closet. Make it just like the other ones.

• Sofia

We’d like to have a 36-inch opening on the shower (ADA) plus 42” pony wall to keep the water in for a total of 78”. Shower as drawn is only 60”.

Want to update and reconfigure my bathroom!

Our master bathroom needs some serious updating. It has an early 80's feel to it and there is a lot of wasted space. It has two closets, one for clothing and one is a large linen closet that takes up more space than necesary. The prior owners of the house put tile mirrors on the walls and put large mirrors on the closet doors.

Need help with bathroom reconfigurations

There is one existing sink in the hall bath on the original pic... It skipped my mind when I did the layout. There is not enough room to close off the toilet, so two people can use it at the same time, not to mention I doubt you will find two teenagers on this planet who will use the same bathroom at the same time even with the bathroom closed off. You cannot put a pocket door there, is not enough room also... There is about 24" of wall space and the door is 30".

Reconfigure bathroom to fit double vanity

You are not getting what you want in a bath that is only 60"W. Even if you moved the toilet, which is not gonna happen in a condo, it's not really wide enough to have a vanity opposite. That's the thing about a condo. It is small. You have to like small. And you cannot make substantial changes to it because the services have fixed locations. Moving plumbing would impact other tenants. So, plumbing doesn't get substantially moved.

Bathroom Re-Configuration

I would definitely reconfigure that bathroom. Given the generous proportions of the bedrooms you surely have the space to make that bathroom larger and more functional. A couple of things I would suggest: 1. Eliminate the direct access from BR#2. Since #3 is your daughter's room you probably want her to have direct access, and you want hall access and some sort of access from #3 without having to walk through her room. Doing this gets you the wall next to the vanity to better utilize. Move the BR#3 closet from where it is to the wall adjacent to the entry door against the hall. Then steal a 12-24" from BR#3 and give it to the bathroom. Move the vanity out to where the door to BR#2 is; that wall is long enough to get a double vanity in if you so desire. At the very least an oversized vanity with one sink. 4. Move the toilet to the space between the vanity and the tub. 5. Now you have room for some sort of closet/storage opposite the toilet and vanity. Maybe a decorative table or other low furniture piece? It never ceases to amaze me how much space toiletries and bathroom items can occupy. Also, if you stack the toilet and vanity on the same side of the bathroom then flip the tub nozzle to the other side so you can minimize the water and sewer lines having to go every which way.
  • suzanne_m

The full depth of the bathroom is 83.5" - 6" for the thickness of the wall = 77.5". The shower is the same length as the depth of the bathroom. If you really want 78" you can slightly increase the depth of the bathroom.

I drew the new layout but the ideas of part 2 are all lyfia and mama goose. I just made it easier to see the details.

BTW, a curbless shower is really nice. If you do it, make sure that there is a slight slope towards the drain.

I don't know if I will have time to draw the bathroom beside the laundry but if I do, which layout would you like me to draw?

• Sofia

I think we have the bathroom beside the laundry dialed in and can take it from here. If you have any time to spare, I’d love to tackle that ADU bathroom/closet.

• Mrs Pete

I'd consider keeping the bathroom's size "as is" and moving the shower to the back end:

• suzanne_m

I am not sure if it is worth it but I changed the configuration of your master closet. I guesstimate the width of the original hallway (the one that led to the office). If it is right (4'1"), you would gain about 5'0" of closet storage. The guest closet is smaller but I think 7 ft of hanging space is good for a guest bedroom. Of course you could enlarge it a bit but the space you add to the closet reduces the size of the bedroom.

Also, how big is the exercise room? Would you be willing to make it a bit smaller? If so, what would be the smallest size you are willing to go?

BTW, I don't like that the office's door as I drew it is off-centered with the hallway. It should be moved closer to bedroom 2. An other option would be to put double doors centered but it may complicate the placement of the desk etc. in the office.

• suzanne_m

Forget about changing the size of the exercise room. I thought I could come up wit something else but no, nothing better than what has been suggested.

In the ADU, what are the dimensions of :

- the bedroom's closet?

- the laundry room?

- storage room next to the laundry room?

• lyfia

Sofia - sorry to hijack your post a little, but this post is such a good example of how this forum used to be on gardenweb and something I really miss. Just people helping each other out instead of questioning every little thing and being rude about it.

What size is the closet in the bedroom of the ADA? Interior dimensions are fine. Also what is the intended use of the walk in closet that is by the laundry and door in the ADA.

For the ADA bedroom I would consider splitting the window and place the bed on the window wall so there is less to have to walk around the bed to get to the bathroom from one side of the bed. There would also be less of a view of the bed from the main areas of the unit.

suzanne - I really like the last version with the closet adjusted. The 4' hallway is still very generous, but seems more private to get to the bedrooms too. I agree that the second bedroom doesn't need as big of a closet.

• suzanne_m

Here is a slight different configuration of the closet. I put 2 mirrors opposite to each other on the side of the shelves so you can easily see the front and the back when you stand right there:

• Sofia

Love the closet layout! Shelves will be great for shoes and putting mirrors on the sides is a great use of the wall space.
    Here are the dimensions (all interior):
    Bedroom closet: 7’4” x 4’9”
    Laundry room: 9’4” x 7’4”
    Storage closet: 5’8” x 5’0”
    What we use that closet for will depend on what we do with the laundry room. We’ll need to store cleaning supplies, vacuum, paper products, etc. in one of those two spaces. We’ve decided not to to put a utility sink in the ADU laundry, so that will free up some space.
    Lyfia — you are so right about moving the bed to the window wall. Two more benefits I can see is the headboard will face south (feng shui) and it gets the headboard away from the laundry room walls.
    I’m not familiar with gardenweb, but I enjoy how open and collaborative everyone here has been.

• suzanne_m

Is the 'linen' closet facing the entrance for coats?

Having the bed on the window wall will also give you more room when you enter.

• Sofia

The ‘linen’ closet isn’t intended for coats, I wanted some storage for bedding, etc. But I’m not loving that when you walk in the front door, you’re facing bypass closet doors.

• suzanne_m

Don't you need a closet for coats, shoes? What will you do when you have guests?

• Sofia

I was thinking of using the closet next to the laundry room for coats/shoes as well. Sorry, forgot to mention that :/

• suzanne_m

You are eliminating the sink in the laundry room but are you eliminating the counter beside it too (or is it a cabinet)?

• Sofia

Yes, no sink and no counter.

• suzanne_m

I was playing with the bathroom and closet layouts earlier. This is what I have but I need to work on storage and laundry with the other part of the house. I will give it a try. Maybe Lyfia has some ideas :)

• Sofia

What would you think of going to a single sink in the bathroom and having a longer cabinet space instead? Maybe built-in? Something like this...

• suzanne_m

That could work but do you need that much storage in a bathroom?

This is one option for the closet / laundry / storage / linen area. I added a sink but it could be more storage or a just counter top (with baskets below)

I don't know if the entrance closet is too small for you?

I made a mistake on the space in front of the W/D. It should be 4'0" (it could be less if you like having a deeper storage). I think the 11'0" is really 11'0.5. I did not add that extra half in. for the thickness of the wall (4.5 instead of 4 as mentioned earlier).

• Sofia

Just to make sure I’m looking at this right..the closet and laundry room have been merged?

• suzanne_m

The closet for coats is all by itself. It is a reach-in closet. The rest (storage for vacuum, cleaning supplies,i inen and W/D) is all in one room. It has the advantage of saving space for doors, and walls.

• Sofia

Sorry, I meant the original closet and laundry spaces have been combined in this drawing?

• suzanne_m

Yes

• Sofia

Got it! Yes!! This is a much better use of the space. And since you’ve incorporated linen storage into this area, we don’t need it in the bathroom! Genius!!

• Sofia

And I checked the size of the coat closet too. The one you’ve drawn here is 6” wider than the one in our current home. Lived here almost ten years and never once wished for a bigger coat closet. You are really, really good at this Suzanne. You must have a passion for it.

• suzanne_m

Thank you Sofia. True, I love doing this :).

I must say that one thing I like about the layout of the bathroom is that you can have a console table facing the front door. It looks nicer than by-pass doors.

I am not a pro, so you need your architect and GC to verify all this.

I have to eat now but later I will tell you what my friend said about her curbless shower with a pony wall and glass on top.

One more thing: I recommend you put extra insulation in the wall where the toilet is. You need a noise barrier.

Another note: If you are ok with the size of the closet, I would make it 3'4" (2" shorter). The reason is that its left wall will be aligned with the wall where is there the pocket door. You would be able to slide the door the other direction and that pocket door will not need to be so close to the closet's door.

Cregger Company

It may be a little tough since the only other option is possibly an outside wall. Most plumbers will advise against it. I think if you did a curb less shower with a open 90 degree shower door will make it seem less small. Find a pedestal sink or freestanding vanity.

• Sofia

So true! A console table with mirror or art over it will be so much more welcoming. Plus it can be a spot to drop keys, mail, etc.
    I’ll send the changes over to our architect to confirm before passing the dimensions on to the cabinet companies for estimates. That’s what I wanted to double-check first by coming here and I’m so glad I did!
    Fingers crossed that you’re going to tell me how much your friend loves her curbless shower with pony wall and glass — because I now have three of them! 😂
    Enjoy your dinner!!

• Sofia

Hi Melissa, thanks for stopping in and giving a heads up. I just noticed that where our architect drew shower plumbing on an external wall he first added a two foot buffer wall.
    Suzanne, do you think we need to do this? We’ve got shower plumbing on outside walls in the master bath and ADU bath.

• suzanne_m

I don't know. It is possible. I live in Canada where the winter can be tough sometimes. The plumbing in my bathrooms are on internal walls but the plumbing in the kitchen and powder room are on external walls. Kitchen sinks are very often under a window. So I don't know if there is a difference between the plumbing in bathrooms and kitchens.

Cregger Company

The stops for the valves in the kitchen are exposed under the sink, easier to turn off a leak. If the plumber or builder can create an access panel for the exterior wall, then it could work. The main issue is being able to get to the rough-in valves to be able to stop a leak due to valve damage.

• suzanne_m

This is a general view of the two areas in your house. It seems that I am a bit off on the width of the Master Bathroom/Closet but if anything, you have more space than I drew :). (maybe it is caused by the thickness of the wall that you initially did not count).

In the ADU, I added a potential wall between bathroom and the living area (lighter gray wall) just to give more privacy when you go from the bedroom to bathroom but I really don't know if this is necessary.

As for my friend's shower she loves it. I will check her email and come back to you on that.

• suzanne_m

If your architect/GC tell you that you can't have plumbing on the outside wall, you might be able to put the faucet on the North wall in the ADU bathroom. You have room to make your pony wall a bit longer. I think the water will stay inside even if the shower head is on this location.

As for your master bathroom, you can either do the same or add a bumper wall. Hopefully he does not need to make it big because the space he uses for the bumper wall is the space you have less for the cabinet.

• Sofia

Oh, I’m so glad you said that! I saw some showers that had the faucets on the wall facing the shower opening. For the ADU that would be the north wall and for the master it would be the south wall. So we should be okay if we do that.

• Sofia

I can’t wait to hear what your friend said about her showers!

• suzanne_m

This is what my friend was saying about her shower:

We rarely have any water splashing out.... our tile guy put a slight slope for water drain. We wanted the overhead shower but don’t used it unless grandkids visit. I love the controls off to the side and they do not get wet.... so they still look new.

Window is a smart idea in the shower area . And my shampoo shelf did not have to be as high up as it is .... it’s fine cause we are tall( ish) but a smart option is to put another shampoo holder alcove down lower on the pony wall....( think for older , wheel chair or sitting on the bench) ...... other than that we love the bathroom layout. And.... if water ever did spray out.... the rest of the bathroom is tile floor.

We did not opt for a shower seat / ledge but opted for that corner teal stool that when we decide we do need a bench it can be moved in the shower.

The main water on the floor from the back wall gathers to about 42”...... our shower head points so it is not purposely pointing outward for excess splashing . The rest of the shower floor.... just gets random water splatters..... but it does not get the carpet that we step out into .

I think it is all about slope and drain placement.

The location where my friend put her drain is right where she stands but I recommend that you put it closer to the wall, it is more comfortable for your feet. Also if you put your shower head on the side wall, I would not put it 21" from the back wall. I would try to put it closer to that wall so there would be less risk of water splashing out. All that being said, I would really like comments from other Houzzers about their experience with their walkin shower.

BTW, she loves her heated floor in the bathroom.

Note: On the layout of bedroom 2, I forgot to center the bed on the wall (it is still in its original location). As you can see one side of the bed is wider than the other one. This shows how much space you gain by having a closet instead of an office.

• Sofia

This is really good feedback. I’m learning there are all kinds of things to think about with this type of shower — shower head, faucet, and drain placement, niche, bench, etc.
    I found these ideas on Houzz for niches that would accommodate both standing and seated shower users. This looks like it might be the way to go.

• suzanne_m

I was having fun redoing the floor plan.

Also, I am not 100% but I would be tempted to put the head shower on the 42" wall to get the water going towards the big wall (with slope and drain).

• Sofia

It looks so much better! I don’t know about putting the shower head on the 42” wall though. That’s a pony wall...

• suzanne_m

That's true ... I forgot :/

• suzanne_m

Having fun again:

• suzanne_m

I think if I were you I would start a discussion asking houzzers about their experience with their walk-in shower. You can ask the dimensions and the length of their pony wall and where the faucet is. I am just a bit afraid about having the water spray towards the pony wall with the entrance just beside it.

You could also go to stores that design bathrooms and ask for recommendations.

You have a possibility to elongate the pony wall to 48" in each shower (maybe even more in the ADU and the bathroom beside the exercise room):

- Master bathroom: you can make your linen cabinet 6" narrower (imo, 18" for a bathroom cabinet is fine) and make your shower 6'10.5" long

- Bathroom in the ADU: I believe your wall in the kitchen is 9'3.5" total, you can easily make a shower 7'6" long.

- Bathroom beside the exercise room: it is already 7'6" long.

Sofia thanked suzanne_m
  • kimberkc

Yes. Suzanne is right. I would want to know if the water will be all over the floor after a shower.
    And, just a little something from experience ... we had a house with a walk in shower, with no shower door, about 15 years ago, that was really cool. No glass to clean. But, it was really cold. It doesn’t hold the heat, without a door. I would never do that again. We are building right now, and I discussed this with our builder, and he told me that he discourages that. That almost always he’s called back to add glass door to shower because it’s cold.

Sofia thanked kimberkc
  • bkbriley

We have a totally curb less walk in shower with a boy wall and glass above the partial boy wall and love the design/ layout. We worked with a design person on this site. If allowed, I’m happy to give her name. I think the trick is placement of the shower head/ slope of the floor and drain. In winter it can be more cold but we have heated flooring as well as an overhead fan/ clear heat light Source to off set that . We also have heated towel bars . Entrance to the bathroom is a barn style sliding type door which is great in saving space . The ease cleaning , being able to just walk in the shower.... it is great!

• Sofia

We love these doorless showers too, but admittedly our only experience with them has been in Mexico, where being too cold wasn’t an issue.
    A couple folks now have mentioned placement of the shower head. I’m wondering where both the shower head and handle would best be placed?

• bkbriley

We have 3... overhead, traditional wall and hand held options For water. Our water handles (Hot cold) are on the pony wall..... and still look brand new because the are not getting splattered on when we shower .

• bkbriley

And yes.... mexico is where we got the idea! We are in California.... so cold is not extreme.

• Sofia

More questions! Is the wall shower head on the back wall? Do you ever find yourself bumping into the handles on the pony wall while taking a shower? How wide is your shower?

• bkbriley

And get a bidet.... hands down. !

• bkbriley

36” wid e shower .... ADA compliant. And we have never bumped the faucet controller being on the side . It is 39” on center , measuring from the back wall . The shower head and the hand held combo are mounted in the back wall. The overhead shower rain is on the ceiling and about 18.5” from the back wall

Sofia thanked bkbriley