Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay_schenk

SW White Duck on exterior- what trim?

Kay Schenk
3 years ago

I’ve just about settled on White Duck for our painted exterior brick, and was thinking Iron Ore for window trim. I hate the way they do color cards now, it makes it very difficult to see undertones and if shades like this will go! I don’t want stark white nor stark black, open to suggestions!

Comments (20)

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

I think these are a lovely combination.

White Duck sits at the beginning of the Yellow Hue Family over towards the Yellow-Red Hue Family. Due to this, it may show moments of peachiness to its warmth.

Iron Ore is from the Green-Yellow Hue Family, but it’s so low in inherent colour you might be hard pressed to discern that. Near neutrals from this Hue Family are often perceived as the most neutral. It has a softer look than black-black.

(Just check your windows can take a change to such a dark colour without warping or affecting the warranty. This maybe more of a consideration in places with extreme hot weather.)

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Here are a couple of alternatives too. I would take your roof colour into consideration also, before finalising your choices.

Urbane Bronze is from the same Yellow Hue Family as White Duck and from a similar location within it. It’s just a touch lighter than Iron Ore and has twice the colour content, so it is less neutral than Iron Ore. You will probably find it also reads slightly warmer.

• Kay Schenk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you MaryLee! Great points and suggestions. On to shingles!

• melissv
    3 years ago

White color Metal Roof would you use? Looking at paint home White Duck with Iron ore front door and window trim.

• HU-293229201
    3 years ago

Hi Kay, what trim did you end up using?

Considering White Duck or Shoji for our exterior with urbane trim but trigger shy!

• Kay Schenk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We ended up doing SW white duck facade, BM wrought iron front door and shutters! I love it😍

• HU-293229201
    3 years ago

Wow, that looks gorgeous! Thanks for the photo. It helps! My head is spinning with whites and dark trim colors🤣

• Kay Schenk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks!! I never did find a photo with the two and ended up just painting poster boards and holding them up! I will say, white duck goes well with a variety of colors! Urbane bronze was fab too but a little warm, and bm raccoon fur was really pretty but more blue!

• HU-92371189873
    2 years ago

We choose SW White duck with SW Iron Ore and love it! SW provides samples which helped also keep in mind shutter and roof colors as well. we also didnt want to stark white

• HU-293229201
    2 years ago

Thanks! I was torn between white duck and shoji white. They are both beautiful. I ended up going with shoji white and urbane bronze for pur fascia and . We have some warm brick and fixtures. So, felt the urbane bronze would tie in nicely. We are loving it!

• tcate7
    2 years ago

What sheen did you use on the brick?

• A L0108
    2 years ago

@Kay Schenk - we are also planning to do White Duck on our exterior. Can I ask what you ended up doing for your soffit? Do you stick with the standard white or did you also do that in "white duck"?

• HU-92371189873
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We painted our home SW white duck with Iron Ore trim and fascia. Love how it turned out

• A L0108
    2 years ago

HU-92371189873 - beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

• HU-293229201
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We ended up with Shoji and Urbane Bronze but think the general rule follows. I really had a hard time choosing whether or not to paint the soffits dark or just the fascia. Since we decided to not trim out windows, kept the garage door white, etc., we felt the dark soffits would add dimension. Now I am so glad we did! Think it would have looked a bit flat for me with Shoji soffits, but think dark soffits can look very heavy and clunky depending on other choices you are making and the style of the house. In general you will paint soffits either whole house color (white duck in your case) or whatever trim color you are using. Hope this helps! Sorry didnt have any whole house photos.

• sookmomof4
    2 years ago

@HU-92371189873 I would love to see your finished house. We are trying to figure out colors for our CA. stucco house, and I am thinking of painting only in 2 colors not three and not painting the trim out.

• HU-440885320
    2 years ago

Hi! it looks grogeous. what color trim did you use? im considering white duck body, alabaster trim, and iron ore shutters. But now im womdering if trim should be white duck too? We bought recently and the house is in desperate need of paint. It faces north and gets very cool lghting

• A L0108
    2 years ago

@HU-440885320 - we are building and decided to go with white duck body with white duck trim. I wanted it to flow consistently and not look choppy which is why I’m doing the whites all the same. In my research one pro on here gave a good tip that whites can look so different in different spaces and it’d be so hard to have their undertones match. Safer to have the whites be the same.

• Kay Schenk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We did white duck trim as well- I would def match!