Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_roberts16

Can anyone help me identify my laminate?

Kelly Roberts
3 years ago

Hello! We recently purchased a house and we are trying to identify the laminate in the kitchen. The seller's husband unfortunately passed away and he was the one with all of the info on the house renos so we're flying solo here! I've compiled an album of images I have, including closeups both with and without flash. We are thinking of adding an island and would like to match the countertop. We're also having a hard time choosing paint colors as I feel like the orange walls and oak cupboards are giving the counter a much more warm-toned look than it will have without it, but I could be wrong. We're hoping to go with medium gray walls and white cupboards (typical, I know) but I want to get the undertones right. Thank you for any thoughts or direction you may have! https://imgur.com/a/4H2eYDQ

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

To be honest I do not think that laminate will work with the white cabinets and gray walls you are planning and I always suggest you live in a space for min. 3 months before doing any renos.As for the island I would need a to scale floor plan to be able to even guess if you can have an island . I think the small amount of counter would be better to design this kitchen with new counters and plan on new floors since those will drive every choice you make.I see real issues with some of the space change all the light bulbs to LEDs in 4000K before anything else.

Kelly Roberts thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions! Unfortunately we are on a budget. This kitchen was redone within the last five years (including new counters and new flooring) so we aren't interested in doing a full on renovation, just painting. We also don't want to wait 3 months because this will be 100x easier to do before we move in as opposed to after, when we have two cats who love to get in the way and will then have to deal with all of our stuff being there. We are also painting the bedrooms and the living room, so we just want to do it all at once. I agree about the counter possibly not working with the white/gray which is why I'm looking for the laminate, so I can see it outside of the current environment and get a better idea of what colors will work.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I wish I could help there but in 5 yrs often laminates are even discontinued even if you found out what it is. I really need to see if an island can be done and then maybe help with a different counter on the island to work with what you have. BTW having cabinets painted is expensive and IMO these decisions need to be made after living in the space for a wahile . Cats can be controlled and kept out of the space for periods of time . If you paint they also can’t be in there.

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The island is going to be an afterthought, something we won't be doing for a while (if we even do it at all), so it's really not what I need info about right now. We are painting the cabinets ourselves, we have done it before. It will not be worth the hassle to wait, the colors in this house are horrible and we want them gone before we move in. The living room has one bright orange wall, a yellow wall, and a green wall. It needs to be gone. I really just need information on the laminate if anyone can find it, even if it is discontinued, just so I can see it being used elsewhere to get better ideas of color and tone.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago
    • You are getting good advice here. I would have advised you to wait a few months also because you have no idea how you will end up using the kitchen.
    • First, the current laminate will not look good with white cabinets. You might want to consider the new peel and stick self-adhesive paper that will provide you with new countertops for pennies until you have the funds to remodel the way you like.
    • Second, Pat is correct and it's very likely this laminate is discontinued.
    • Third, in general is very difficult to match finishes once time has elapsed, and so it's common to consider a contrasting island. Sometimes that makes things more interesting in a room. I'm assuming you are looking for more counter space, so why not take a look at what retailers offer in terms of interesting looking kitchen islands.

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really hope this doesn't sound too direct because I really do appreciate all the advice. I feel like my request is getting lost in the island-focus. All I am looking for is the name of the laminate if anyone can find it as I could not. Even if it is discontinued, I can use the name to search out photographs of it being used. I want to see how others used it to help us choose paint. We are coming from a crappy, teeny tiny, ugly rental, so anything we do is going to be 1000x better than what we have now. We're not picky, we are easily pleased, and this is not our forever home. We are painting before we move in, 100%. I just need to find paint that will work with the laminate and flooring that is already there, as painting is all we want to do.

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@missenigma Oh wow I don't know why I didn't think to contact the more popular laminate companies. I'll do that first! Thank you!!

• missenigma
    3 years ago

One more thing. Here are the pics you had a link to. Many won't bother clicking on a link. It's best to post pictures directly in your posts to make it "easy" for folks and to maximize the responses.

That said, here are your pictures:

Kelly Roberts thanked missenigma
  • missenigma
    3 years ago

Kelly - I thought you might find these before and after photos interesting. Here's a kitchen redo where they worked with the existing hickory cabinets. They did put in new counters but it's amazing what a little color change can do. Congratulations on the new home!

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@missenigma Thank you!! Wow the color change does make a huge difference. Looks like the same orange as our house too...that color is certainly A Choice lol. For laughs, here is the living room... 😬

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Well, I think your cabinets are pretty nice but I don’t really like them with the countertop and floors. I agree that painting them white won’t be such an improvement either. I might want to paint the cabinets black in this case which would be a big commitment considering you may want to change the countertop and flooring in the future! If you want to make it all work now though, that’s were I would go.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lynartist We did think about going dark...we just really wanted to have a bright kitchen. :( I like the countertop and the floor, I just never imagined finding paint that goes with it would be so difficult!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Light paint and good lighting! If you keep the floor and the countertop then paint the cabinets the color the looks best! If you want want a white kitchen then renovate! You don’t need the island top to match! You can have a beautiful kitchen or one that doesn’t really work! Your choice.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Black cabinets, white walls, good lighting. Think about it.

• missenigma
    3 years ago

This link might help you when selecting a cabinet color that would harmonize with your existing flooring and countertop. As you peruse her site, I think you'll find more information to help make the right choice.

https://mariakillam.com/will-white-kitchen-work-with-existing-granite-countertop/

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thought I’d nip back in and show what we went with. I think white cupboards turned out just fine :)

• User
    3 years ago

major improvement! I love how simply painting can make such a huge impact.

I doubt you can find more of that laminate, it seems old enough to no longer be in print anymore. if you really want to keep those counters and add an island, consider butcher block! it will look really great in there, and because it's a completely different material, it shouldn't compete with the laminate. (plus, if you ever want to update your counters in the future, the new ones will look good with the butcher block too.)

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@User Thats a great idea!! Thank you!

• Crystal Jacob
    3 years ago

I love the new wall color! Everything looks great!

• Kelly Roberts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Crystal Jacob Thank you! We used Sherwin Williams Alabaster on the cupboards and Likable Sand on the walls!