Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16245081

digging out grandmas house?

User
3 years ago

I watched an interesting movie on Prime that is entitled, "306 Hollywood".

It is a film made by a couple of siblings as they came to clean out their grandmothers house.

They took an unusual and entertaining approach to it and decided to treat it like some fantasy and fictional archaeological dig.

It is quite creative, interesting and thought provoking. It is not just a simple story of too much junk. Grandma was not a hoarder. She was just grandma and her house was full of the life of the family as they all passed through.

it is also quite a motivating incentive to not leave this type of stuff for your kids to deal with. For most people, grandmas stuff is not going to spark creative genius.. The stuffed drawers and closets were like a dig.

Then, there are the swings still hanging there that they used to play on as kids. All molded, but still there as a remnant of times past. The kids have moved on but they still are there, a bit like Puff the magic dragon. The little boy and girl moved on and left it behind. Poignant, I think, may be the word.

I highly recommend it any who are interested in this business of ridding our homes of excess junk or have some thought for what they leave to their descendants.

It also is a very human story of a life that was lived and people who were loved by one another.

Highly recommended!

Comments (18)

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Thanks, that sounds right up my alley -- nostalgia but also reality.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

Sounds interesting.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

Added to my Watchlist - thanks!

• bpath
    3 years ago

I’m continuing on just such an archaeological dig these days, mostly by myself. I’m going to cue that up today as I go through! Thank you!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

I loved that movie! I saw it a few years ago at the documentary festival.

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

Sounds like my life 3 years ago when my Mom passed. She wasn’t a hoarder but her house was full of goodies, some not so much like the chef boyardee pasta mix with an expiration date of 1977, the year I graduated high school.

• hallngarden
    3 years ago

I just saw the trailer. Wow, can’t wait to watch. Tonight hubs and I will watch together. Thanks for suggesting.

• dedtired
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Must watch that. Maybe it will give me a more positive attitude about the day when I have to clear out my mother’s house. It gives me nightmares ! Thanks for the recommendation.

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

I'm working on my own archaeological dig here. I don't want to leave all of this stuff for my kids to sift thru. Most they won't want and I know they won't want to go thru it all! I don't like going thru it all! ugh.

will have to see if that is available somewhere besides Prime. I cxl'd that months ago.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There are so many things in our homes that our kids are not going to have a clue what to do with it. I hardly have a clue what to do with it. I don't want it to be their problem.

I really enjoyed that documentary and I hope you do too.

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

you make me wish I had prime....

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Give it a search on youtube. There are several references to it and a lot of clips and trailers. There may be some way to see it through youtube. I just did a quick search and did not explore too deeply.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Thanks for the reminder about that film. I started watching many months ago and had forgotten about finishing it.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Dallas, I watched it and loved it. She was, and still is, the cornerstone of the family and a great one at that. Ty.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Just put it on my watchlist. Thank you!

• c t
    3 years ago

On Friday, my SO called and said, "The Smiths are having an estate sale." The Smiths found themselves in a position of needing to move to a smaller home near one of their grown children.

The house was full of half-hearted collections of random stuff: two dozen teapots, Beanie Babies, three sewing machines, 50-year-old children's books and toys that had never been passed on or jettisoned. it was depressing and enlightening.

I got rid of a bunch of things 25 year ago: bagged up things in garbage bags, when I hadn't looked at or for them in a year, put them out with the trash without looking at them. A few years later, we moved, and another batch was gone.

Two summers ago, a 'friend of a friend' needed a place to stay, and ended up at my house. To make room, some things had to be cleared out. The problem: the 'friend' portion (my consort) had moved in with me, and brought almost the entire contents of his 2500 sf house with him. He did find a junk dealer who brought a trailer over for us to fill, but other than that, pretty much refused to participate in any way. That left me to decide what stuff of his got pitched.

He's a fine man in many ways. But as an example: he has six Rubbermaid-type totes of photographs of people he doesn't know. They had belonged to his mother. I can only guess: His mom thought these were important, so he feels he *ought to* feel they're important.

After the estate sale, I took a seventh tote, full of pictures of his kids, his parents, holiday cards, newspaper clippings; threw out the duplicates and cheap frames, and put what was left in one average photo album. No kidding, I didn't even have to buy the album. It was already part of the stuff.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, what a lot of stuff for someone else to have to deal with! What a story!