Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astrid_sica

Fantasy brown aka brown fantasy honed leather or polished

Astrid Sica
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi guys, my name is Astrid and I’m knee deep in a kitchen Reno. My cabinets are a simple pebble grey from Kraftsman. We are looking for the right countertop. We like the fantasy brown/brown fantasy . We understand it’s a stronger marble yet considered a quartzite . My question Is should I get the leather/honed or polshed. I understand that the leather/ honed won’t etch as much but my fabricator wanted to sell me a $500 / 25 year sealer warranty that seems pricey. Blogs say I can seal it twice a year myself. What should we do?

Here are my choices.

Comments (27)

• stars26
    3 years ago

post pictures of the kitchen

• Astrid Sica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is my blank canvas, so at the demo stage

• Astrid Sica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Astrid Sica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Astrid Sica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So my cabinets are pebble grey but need To decide if I will go with the fantasy brown leather honed or polished version of countertop

• TMac
    3 years ago

I got polished 8 years ago. Guy swore I would never have to polish again. Well, the polish has worn down and looks more honed now... and I LOVE it. Looks much more natural ... and I've poured wine, lemon, everything on these countertops over the past 8 years and they're forgiving.

• TMac
    3 years ago

To be clear, I have the fantasy brown quartzite as well.

• Astrid Sica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your feedback

• lornaqdkitchendesigner
    3 years ago

I would definitely do the honed or leather finish. It will hide any wear better and I personally think if feels more modern. Talking about "feel", it is also pleasing to the touch. :)

• Lauren
    3 years ago

I have polished Fantasy Brown in my bathroom and I don’t think it has a sealer on it. We’ve had it for almost two years and it looks brand new. I have left my hot iron on it several times and has been fine. Lots of products spilled and still looks great. I think you should do whichever one you like aesthetically.

• new-beginning
    3 years ago

Probably marble; most likely NOT quartzite; best if you do the suggested 'tests' to determine what the stone is. Karinmt is a geologist that has posted tons of info on various stone and what they actually are vs what the salesperson tells you it is. Does it scratch glass, what happens when you drop a bit of lemon juice on it? will wter soak in or bead up? Before you worry about what surface finish to get find out for certain (test) what the stone actually is.

• Astrid Sica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So our fabricator explained this us and did the same tests you mentioned . Fantasy Brown is technically is a marble with quartzite features because of this it is much harder than regular marble and doesn’t etch like regular marble and this fabricator only sell the honed/ leather fantasy brown

• Patricia Rosenberg
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

we have leathered and LOVE it. its so incredibly beautiful get it! We also have polished in our bathroom. Not sure if all polished is like this (but I’ve heard it before) but it has spots that look like water spots so always looks dirty to me. So glad i didn’t get that in my kitchen. I’ll try to put a photo in

• Patricia Rosenberg
    3 years ago

• TMac
    3 years ago

I love your tiled backsplash. I wanted that look when we installed but couldn't find it anywhere (Ontario). Settled with something I've always regretted. Don't settle!

• Lindsay
    3 years ago

Polished! We got polished and even though I was scared to death we had made a huge mistake, it made all the difference. It's beautiful.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

Leathered. All. Day. Long. I have seen FB in all three finishes and the leathered beats out the others by far. It is also a more durable finish, and since FB is technically marble, that would be my choice.

• jkt107
    3 years ago

I have leathered and absolutely adore it. Depending on the composition of your stone, it might etch and that would be far more visible on polished.

• Sara
    3 years ago

I would suggest feeling both-before I settled on soapstone, I thought I wanted a leathered finish until I felt it and I just didn’t love the feeling in person.

• zthar
    3 years ago

I have the fantasy Brown in Satin finish, not sure if it's just a different name (honed and leathered) or an actual finish, I love it.

• Julianne Sherwood
    2 years ago

I know this is an older post, but those of you that have FB, do you still love it? Any issues?

• zthar
    2 years ago

still love it and have had oodles of compliments on it.

• Lindsay
    2 years ago

We have it in polished with SW Thunder Gray on the bottom cabinets and we get tons of compliments on it. I was so scared but once it was installed I fell in love with it. It is beautiful!! So, so happy we went with it.

• Anne Weisbeck
    2 years ago

We have the polished Fantasy Brown. I didn’t like the feel on the leathered. I agonized over it, worried whether it would be durable. It’s been in for about five months and we love it!

• Anne Weisbeck
    2 years ago

Here’s a photo

• Memphis Forrest
    2 years ago

Anne your kitchen is so beautiful!