meesh216

what color of stain for my coffee table?

Michele King

I am refinishing my square coffee table and need help choosing a stain! I am working with a cream sectional with espresso legs and a black Asian cabinetry that is being used as my media cabinet
I am trying to stay away from anything with red tones...But looking for your advice! :-)

Flo Mangan

Yes it sure did. Since you are new at staining, when you get stain product, get a couple pieces of raw wood from bin of excess wood cuttings at Lowe’s or HD. you can test on those.

Flo Mangan

Even though it is Ebony (Black) stain, it is not like paint so it lets grain peek through if you don’t put
    A bunch of coats on.

What End Tables Work with my Adler Coffee table?

I have the nickle and white Jonathan Adler coffee table, what end table should I use with it ? I want to put lamps on the end tables can I use square with this coffee table

what color to paint coffee table and console table?

If you are set on gray then I would suggest light gray for the walls and a darker gray for the furniture. However you do have a brown mix carpet and the gray might not look like you want it to with the carpeting. Are you replacing it? If not , I would rethink my wall color. Perhaps more of a greige, where there is more beige than gray. Then you can blend your carpet and beige FP tiles . However, I did paint your walls and lamp base and then added a light teal shade for color:

Help with my living room- what kind of coffee table and side tables?

Your living room rug is lovely. I wouldn't use a rug at all under your dining table. You already have the first rug, and two types of flooring near the dining area, so a rug is going to chop up the floor even further. With your terra cotta tile and gold floors, I think the salmon walls would look better in a medium blue/gray color taken from your rug. I would try to find a glass topped coffee table to give your room some sparkle. I think the rattan lamp is fine, and it looks like you could also use a floor lamp or table lamp on an end table.

What color end table and coffee table?

i would give it a storage chest that can your feet on it and then rest at the base of the bed. an end table that stuff things in when company comes.
    Flo Mangan

One more thing. She put a satin finish poly coat on to protect the finish. This table had beveled glass inserts so yours will be easier because you don’t have all the detail work in the insert areas.

• lynartist

I would do black to Patricia! But OP wants to see the wood grain. I think if staining it black as opposed to laquering it black you will still see some of the grain interest in the wood. I prefer a traditional look with these tables.

• lynartist

...

Flo Mangan

I would do the black/ebony gel stain. Best of both worlds. Just buffing the gel stain gives beautiful look too.

• RedRyder

If you don’t keep it natural, the black gel stain keeps your woods in concert. Too many “colors” won’t help your decor.

• annouk33

Wish you had a picture of the entire room and perhaps a sample pic of the sectional that is on its way. I am craving moving your furniture around but do not know what configuration of space we are working with here. It all depends which way you wish to go in a space. I would opt for some contrast in the colour for your coffee table, but you would have to commit to incorporating other decor that would enhance and complement it. My choices for your table examples are minwax varnishes in provincial or gunstock. The honey tones in these would complement the ochre yellow, golden colour I see in your curtains and contrast with the dark cabinets for your entertainment center. By the way, had you tried butting up the two straightest sides as one of these seem to be leaning a bit. Sometimes if there is a panel with nails at the back, resetting and reinforcing the finishing nails can help a cabinet stay straight (depends how these are made).

Please post addtional pics of the entire space (each wall). Are you willing to find an area rug to anchor your seating area and perhaps move a few things around. Let us know. Your curtains are also very beautiful!

My two cents worth.

Flo Mangan

Little mock up for ideas.

Design Interior South

Beside the cream sectional and the cream carpet and the dark console is anything else we see in the room staying? The cream chair? The gold? and cream drapery panels? Do you want color brought into the space. I would have the table lacquered. They are stunning lacquered. Black would be gorgeous or a deep charcoal color even better. Or if you love color and want to bring it into the room here is your opportunity. It looks like it might be made out of Gum wood. If you choose to stain it you will need to put a stain prep on it to insure it stains somewhat evenly.

• Michele King

Thank you for all the input! As requested attached is a panoramic photo of my space… it’s a bit awkward as you can see everything from one position so my thought is to keep it super clean and simple. Unfortunately the furniture arrangement in the room cannot be configured in any other way. The lamp and side table will not be in this room. The only items staying are the black cabinetry, cream chair and the tall plant.

• lynartist

As much as I love the lacquered tables DIS shows you would have to send it out and have it professionally done. That’s not a diy project. If you are willing to spend some money though, that’s an option.

Beth H. :

staining that black is going to take some work. using a standard black gel paint might not give you the rich black depth. I've stained oak black and used an aniline dye first, then a black gel. You can still see the wood grain.

If you want to stain it darker brown, go for a dark walnut shade. it doesn't have the red tones in it like some of the others

Always used a wood pre-conditioner before staining.

I just redid a mahogany cedar chest and used General Finishes walnut stain. since this wood is already red toned, you still can see the reddish tint. (the top was completely shot, so I did an acrylic pour on it)

this is also the walnut stain

Flo Mangan

I was just going to say same thing. Yes, lacquering is not simple and a dust free environment is needed. So stick to your plan to gel stain it.

Flo Mangan

Opps. Beth’s post sneaked in before mine. I was referring to Lynartist’s input on lacquering. Beth, the poster wants some grain to show though.

Beth H. :

i don't know what's going on w/houzz today w/photos.

I did post a photo showing the oak I did w/the black stain. the grain still shows.

on hers, the grain is so subtle and so smooth, doing a dark black really isn't going to have the same effect. She could prob do the black and get an ashy looking charcoal, but not sure how good that's going to look

If she did an aniline dye first, she'd get better results.

here's the packet of dye. it's easy to use

the wood looks like this after a coat of the dye. then you go over this w/the Ebony Gel stain

Design Interior South

Beth I have had to for the most part post one photo at a time and refresh my screen in between each post or else the photo won't load.

Beth H. :

Pink, I see that. that's what I've been doing. I post my comment, submit, and then come back and edit to load photos.

it's probably why all the new posts are showing up without /attached photos. houzz must be working on the site. again.

• Michele King

Now seeing the full space, what color/stain would look best? Ebony gel stain? I love the bright color ideas but might be too much for my space?

Beth H. :

michele, did you read my first comment that has the Gen. Finishes stain colors? or see the one I did w/the dark walnut? I posted a few examples of what the walnut stain will look like.

I also explained how to do the black with gel and dye on my second comment

Flo Mangan

This is with two applications of the Ebony and touch ups with 3rd touches. It looks beautiful. As I previously stated, on the posters raw wood she has to use wood conditioner first. And I suggested she test on some scrap raw wood. I find this a great product for a beginner person to get good results.

• popchick

Minwax classic black. With 3 coats of minwax satin water based polyurethane. Just did this to my dining room table and it looks fantastic!

• btydrvn

A lot depends on the condition of the wood ..if it is sleek and perfect..flawless...painting black is an option...if there are any imperfections..bumpy or dented spots ....a light color stain and not too shiny clear coat will look better....my take is ..painting it black will look more expected...”ordinary”...after all that work stripping it....and in consideration of your color theme i would keep it light......the two black tables used as a console can be an accent piece...that can be tied in with some black elements like picture frames..metal base lamps...side tables...etc

• btydrvn

Or even an asian theme area rug with a black border?

• Michele King

Ok! I brought the table back in for a picture to give show the option of a lighter wood table. Again, gold sofa is being replaced with a cream sectional,and the side table and lamp will be replaced ( don’t know with what, yet :) )

Beth H. :

I'd do black. either paint it or stain it. that media center is taking control. I'd match it. doing a darker stained wood w/everything else in there would look a little out of place.

get the Gen finishes Black Gel stain and try it on the leg somewhere. see how it looks.

If you feel you want wood, then I'd want to bring in a wood arm chair or side table, so that it ties it together

or you could do a black/with walnut chair

Flo Mangan

Definitely do a black. The white wash won’t do it design wise. Your walls, drapery, carpet and furnishings are all light. The room needs the balance of black for the coffee table. You can add Pillows to blend all tones together once you get your sectional. Don’t know why you picked a sectional for this room? Do you have measurements of sectional?

• Michele King

It’s truly an awkward room and I chose a sectional for a clean look.
    90” x 90”. The living room is also a cut through room to get to a bedroom which makes it challenging to arrange furniture. With the open floor plan it can get too busy ( from my perspective)
    Thank you Flo and Beth for your direct input on the color, I really appreciate it!!

• lynartist

Definitely black.

• Theresa Janssen

vote for black too, but would also consider lacquer if that is a possible option to bring in another shiny texture, it would be stunning IMO. are you open to bringing in other accessories, pillows, art, lighting?

• Michele King

Absolutely open to bring other accessories and pillows, that’s the fun stuff!!
    Thank you for your opinion!

Flo Mangan

I know the lacquer look is authentic to this style, but for the purpose here the stain will be more forgiving. A good lacquering job is very durable but it is subject to scratching. So think about durability. What is width of your room? 90” sectional is very big. Have you stacked up some boxes to see the volume of that sectional in your room?

• Michele King

It’s purchased so no turning back now. I did measure and it appeared to be fit fine. Fingers crossed.
    In the last picture, the tables are pulled out away from the wall so it looks like a smaller space.

• Michele King

I’m sorry, 82 x 82

Flo Mangan

I am quite concerned about the sectional fitting in your room. Have you done a scale drawing?? If not, give me the dimensions and exact width and depth of that sectional. 90” is one measurement but what is depth? What is size of coffee table too? What is width of room and length. I can take into consideration any walk thru space for you. If you have done this I can rest at ease. If not, might help you make better decision. Thanks.

Flo Mangan

Ok. 82 is much better. I love cream, whites and blacks layered together. Great look. I was measuring from window wall. Textured pillows is key.

Flo Mangan

Mood board for you. I just picked sectional to represent the one you are getting. I put some carmel leather for texture in pillows.

• annouk33

The second picture helps, now just need a picture of the entry into the space taken with your back to the curtains out. Is that another little round end table on the other side of the couch and lastly, what is happening in the corner to the right of your curtains when facing them. There is a dip in the wall to the right of the curtains. Is this dip the same width as the one to the left of the curtains creating symmetry or no? Lastly, if you can, please also post a pic of the sectional you have ordered, these all would be helpful.

AB Interior Design & Staging

Would you like a touch of color ? Such as a blue chalk paint mixed with brown wax?
    Here is an example

AB Interior Design & Staging

The picture do not post, but you can have a look at my page, I have a chalk paint buffet with these color in there!

• Michele King

The buffet turned out beautiful!
    I like the idea of a touch of color. I’ve decided to wait until my sectional is delivered which might help me visualize better. Once it’s here, I will post a photo.
    Funny you should post this comment because I have some glassware that is a light blue and the color looks really pretty in my house and was considering it for a moment!

AB Interior Design & Staging

Oh wow !! This is a great coincidence!! I will be posting more chalk paint furniture transformation on my page this month. If you follow my page, I think you will see the pictures as soon as I post:))

AB Interior Design & Staging

And many thanks for the compliment on the buffet:))

AB Interior Design & Staging

Hi Michelle King !
    Here is another chalk paint project I just shared on my page:

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/adjustments-plist-farmhouse-phvw-vp~163162242

AB Interior Design & Staging

Let me know if you see it wirh the link👍

Flo Mangan

Only 1 picture looks like prepped table no chalk paint photo.

AB Interior Design & Staging

The first link is showing a wash with white chalk paint.

This link show a blue chalk paint with a brown wax.

You can follow my page as I will be posting more!

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/mirror-reflection-farmhouse-dining-room-phvw-vp~162746294