Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlexings

Mid century modern clerestory windows

Sarah
3 years ago

Apologies for my ignorance. Why do newer built houses typically lack clerestory windows that seem to "disappear" into the ceiling / roofline? Most windows on newer houses have obvious framing.

Is this something that can still be achieved on new builds?

Comments (14)

• chispa
    3 years ago

You can have whatever you want in your build ... just need time and money to get it done.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

It is a matter of architectural style.

• PRO
    Michael Menn Ltd.
    3 years ago

It's a matter of architectural style and money to pay the right architect/designer.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak and @Michael Menn -

That makes sense; I wasn't sure if it was due to some engineering or energy efficiency code changes that occurred over the decades. By "selecting the right architect / designer" I assume you mean someone experienced or specializing in that type of design?

@millworkman -

Very good to know!

@chipsa -

Isn't that the truth!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Clearstory windows are typically found on modern architectural style houses, and not traditional or historical style houses. Most builder and tract division houses are the latter style, and not modern style house.

The post and beam houses you show in your pictures appear to be mid century modern styles.

Here's a Frank Lloyd Wright house with clearstory windows.

The idea behind clearstory windows is that they allow additional natural light into the house interiors.

They can easily be a part of your house design if your architect is designing in the proper architectural style.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Virgil Carter

That makes sense. I wonder why their popularity waned in 80s contemporary. Our 80s contemporary has clerestories but they're ~5 inches from the ceiling, surrounded by trim. I didn't know if it was a stylist choice only or practical reasons.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Virgil Carter

That makes sense. I wonder why their popularity waned in 80s contemporary. Our 80s contemporary has clerestories but they're ~5 inches from the ceiling, surrounded by trim. I didn't know if it was a stylist choice only or practical reasons.

• BT
    3 years ago

We are thinking about using them in a current build. They may or may not need to be steel windows, depending on an opening and a header design. Structural windows are really expensive or at least we do not know where to look. Most the time people use thermally broken aluminum.

Most double hung and casements limited in height to 72", fixed to 96" anything else $$$. It is easy to draw 84" or even 96" tall casement - finding them for anything reasonable ... different story.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Most "modern" houses uses large areas of fixed glazing and smaller sizes of operable glazing. It all depends on the design aesthetic.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

When we remodeled our previous house in 2002, we used what are essentially 'store-front' windows, and steel beams because we took out all the load bearing interior walls.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@sushipup1

The wall of windows looks lovely. Store-front windows sound ideal. In my humid climate (the south) it's not really practical to ever keep windows open anyway so fixed windows make the most sense in all aspects.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Below are smaller sliding windows that can be opened. This is a split lever so the smaller windows you see in the picture are at floor level above in the kitchen.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@sushipup1

I noticed you incorporated smaller sliders at the bottom of your design; they look great and seem well sized if you're opening the windows for airflow. I also love your low built in bookshelves below the windows.