ozmaldonado

help with colors please

ozmaldonado
3 months ago

We just had carrara marble slabs installed in our shower/tub/counter. I'm struggling with the amount of Gray in it. Should I paint the cabinets white or charcoal? Wall? And what color floor tile? I am adding 2 tall statement mirrors. thank you for any help

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

I would paint the medicine cabinet wall color so it visually disappears. Or replace it with more flush mirrored cabinet.

• Related Discussions

need help with color please

Q

Comments (3)
    I would stick with white like the rest of the house so it looks like it belongs there. Google your question with the linseed oil, and see if you can find any info on youtube or a DIY forum about painting over it.
    ...See More

Need area rug...help with Color please!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi lovefrappe, I'd love to see more pics of your room, the sofa and chair styles, including the geometric pattern fabric of your chairs to get a better idea and perhaps search for more suggestions. I'll search a bit more....but just based on the style(s) it seems you're drawn to (from photos saved in your ideabook) and your colors.....this was the first rug that came to mind. Also, do you have a budget in mind that you don't mind sharing for the new rug? How large of a rug do you need? Looking forward to seeing your space come together! :-)
    ...See More

Converting ranch to Spanish style, help with color please!

Q

Comments (0)
    My husband and I bought an old ranch home and are trying to convert it to a more Spanish style home, i.e. Adding arches and stucco fireplace like you can see. I really need suggestions on interior paint colors and trim. Our contractor suggested Swiss coffee for all the walls and maybe a chocolate brown for the trim. Any other suggestions? Also I'd like to paint the kitchen cabinets, we don't have the budget to re-stain, would you do a white? Or different color? How about the color for the built in bookcases?
    ...See More

Converting ranch to Spanish style, help with color please!

Q

Comments (1)
    You can restrain those cabinets with gel stain yourself, very DIY friendly
    ...See More
  • PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

thank you soo much, I greatly appreciate it.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

What other colors are in your home?

Make sure your tall mirrors don't go above the side wall in height

What lighting have you chosen

I love an octagon shape on the floor

Depending on your home I would do a blue cabinet along the lines of the wall in this photo and I would paint the walls white and maybe even consider a wallpaper.

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

these are the colors in my home

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

What color is bedding in adjoining room? I see nice whites in these photos so I would try nice white in bathroom.

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

ignore the tub the contractor temporarily put in my room. lol.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

Humm. So might need to do a color that blends your beiges/browns (warm tones) with cool colors in bathroom. Perhaps a pretty silver blue tone. Need some samples.

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I'm gonna be honest once it was installed, as beautiful as it is, I almost cried because I felt it was in the cool tones and didn't match with the rest of the house :-( and I'm struggling with pulling it together.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

Oh we can get you there. No worries. Given me a bit of time. We can get there.

• Ashley Lee
    3 months ago

I actually love the contrast of cool carrera marble with warmer wood tones. Don't cry, I think you will end up with something super chic and fitting in with the rest of your home!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

OK, one option (not sure what your overall thinking is) would be to use a color on the walls in SW Rainwashed. A very pretty green/blue spa like color. Then in the bedroom change your comforter or duvet to a combo with this color and a pillow or two in the color. You could paint your vanity cabinet a taupe color. Do you own the tall mirrors? If so, we could use a gold wash on the black frames to warm up the frames. Could use Rub n Buff in antique gold too. Then add towels in the pretty spa blue/green color along with fluffy whites. It would be beautiful. Does something like this appeal to you? We can explore other options.

• Ashley Lee
    3 months ago

just some examples of the wood and marble look :)

Cambridge Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Powder Bath · More Info

Cedar Lake International Style · More Info

San Francisco Remodel · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

With just a few bedding adjustments you can have this ensuite resort ready in no time!!

• Buzz Solo
    3 months ago

Listen to Flo, Flo knows.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Yes, Flo is right. You can add blue tones that pull the bedroom and bathroom together. Don’t get upset about the grey in the marble. It’s more neutral than you think. Flo will help you. (The

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

I was going to say: (The tub in the bedroom must be adding to your stress! Hard to decorate around that...)

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 months ago

SO based on your photos , which are dark so hard to see exactly, you have somewhat of a farmhouse industrial vibe going on in main living areas and overall your colors are neutral . I still love the blue but it doesn't look as if you are a lover of it. Have you considered staining your vanity instead of painting it? They have stains now that create the weathered wood look. If not I would do a larger format hexagon with a contrasting detail like this on the floor

I would then weather your existing vanity or paint it black.

again I would reconsider the height of your mirror because I think your mirror is going to go higher than your side wall and that is going to look "off" Some simple metal framed mirrors would work. To keep it in line with the rest of your home do black metal or nickel.

Franco Mirror · More Info

if you want to warm it up do gold

Elegant Decor Eternity 40" x 24" Contemporary Metal Frame Mirror in Brass · More Info

I would still paint your walls white. I would actually pull the oak medicine cabinet and do a more streamlined one there. Simple mirror no frame.

If you use black metal mirrors or nickel I would do nickel hardware on the cabinets.

Lucite on Satin Gold Pull, 128mm Hole Centers, 7", Set of 10 · More Info

If you use gold mirror I would do gold hardware on the cabinets. Bring in some lighting to coordinate. You don't have room for sconces so id do some simple clean lined lighting.

Hard to see but it looks like you may already have a woven blind at the window?

Radiance Cordless Privacy Weave Bamboo Roman Shade, Driftwood 35"x64" · More Info

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

what color stain so you suggest for cabinets? darker to blend with woven shade? and even though the ceiling is 12' in the bathroom you feel the mirrors are too tall?

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

this is how I rectified the problem in the 1st bathroom. still have to add nickle hardware, did (2) round mirrors and decide on wall color.

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

my phone camera takes bad pictures with lighting

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    3 months ago

flo, excellent ideas but im struggling with the blue. I guess im a neutral girl 👧

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

Well, you can take the blues and go other tones but you have to do something in the bathroom perhaps the vanity with staining wood to bring some warmth in. Notice the limed wood in this photo. That can work. All “neutrals” is fine, but you need some contrast to bring depth,warmth and dimension. Think about staining the cabinets or doing a multi layered look on them. Maybe the flooring change will help you too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

Well, you can take the blues and go other tones but you have to do something in the bathroom perhaps the vanity with staining wood to bring some warmth in. Notice the limed wood in this photo. That can work. All “neutrals” is fine, but you need some contrast to bring depth,warmth and dimension. Think about staining the cabinets or doing a multi layered look on them. Maybe the flooring change will help you too. Btw, SW Rainwashed is not blue. It is more of a gray green actually but very pretty irl. But I get you want basically beige. Just select wall color carefully.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 months ago

I picked up on the blue being a no go from your home photos. Thats fine. Not everyone is a blue person. My suggestion is this. You could easily put gray in here because of all the gray thats in the marble. That would be the EXPECTED choice. I say add something else. Black, aged wood, etc. Per my suggestions above bring in a aged brass/gold can warm up the space.

As far as the height of lights and mirror I have put a line up in reference to the height I am referring to.
    Here is a mock up of what I am talking about with some paint colors. Sea salt may be a winner here and this bathroom could really be interesting with white walls and sea salt on the ceiling and a chandelier.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 months ago

I thought about Sea Salt too, but I'm just kind of sick of it. I am not a fan of doing black but that is an option if you keep the tall mirrors?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 months ago

I think the black is a good juxtaposition between the more farm house vibe in the home and the formality of the Carerra marble and would serve as a good neutral. I am talking white on the walls and sea salt on the ceiling which I think is slanted? There are many colors like it that could work that wont go as blue. Could be stunning. and unexpected.

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    29 days ago

update: slowly getting there. just need to update flooring.

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    29 days ago

next, redo tile

• roarah
    28 days ago

It looks great so far. What are you thinking of for the floor?

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I'm a visual person so I plan on getting samples. part of me feels there isn't enough wood tones to warm it up. oh I don't know. lol.

• roarah
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

I like the balance you have now between warm and cool colors. I know they are trending down but three years ago when I added a master bath most of my inspiration pics had wood like tile with marble showers. It might be an option for you.

I ended going a different route because my bath abuts real wood floors but it looks like you have carpeting. Again it is looking lovely!

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    28 days ago

thank you!

• PRO
    Altair
    26 days ago

White cabinets would be my go to..

• PRO
    ozmaldonado
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Altair, you don't feel thats too much white? sterile looking?

• RedRyder
    23 days ago

You could go with wood looking tiles (or vinyl) if you want to add warmth.