ozmaldonado

help with colors please

ozmaldonado

We just had carrara marble slabs installed in our shower/tub/counter. I'm struggling with the amount of Gray in it. Should I paint the cabinets white or charcoal? Wall? And what color floor tile? I am adding 2 tall statement mirrors. thank you for any help

Flo Mangan

I would paint the medicine cabinet wall color so it visually disappears. Or replace it with more flush mirrored cabinet.

need help with color please

I would stick with white like the rest of the house so it looks like it belongs there. Google your question with the linseed oil, and see if you can find any info on youtube or a DIY forum about painting over it.

Need area rug...help with Color please!

Hi lovefrappe, I'd love to see more pics of your room, the sofa and chair styles, including the geometric pattern fabric of your chairs to get a better idea and perhaps search for more suggestions. I'll search a bit more....but just based on the style(s) it seems you're drawn to (from photos saved in your ideabook) and your colors.....this was the first rug that came to mind. Also, do you have a budget in mind that you don't mind sharing for the new rug? How large of a rug do you need? Looking forward to seeing your space come together! :-)

Converting ranch to Spanish style, help with color please!

My husband and I bought an old ranch home and are trying to convert it to a more Spanish style home, i.e. Adding arches and stucco fireplace like you can see. I really need suggestions on interior paint colors and trim. Our contractor suggested Swiss coffee for all the walls and maybe a chocolate brown for the trim. Any other suggestions? Also I'd like to paint the kitchen cabinets, we don't have the budget to re-stain, would you do a white? Or different color? How about the color for the built in bookcases?

You can restrain those cabinets with gel stain yourself, very DIY friendly
    ozmaldonado

thank you soo much, I greatly appreciate it.

Design Interior South

What other colors are in your home?

Make sure your tall mirrors don't go above the side wall in height

What lighting have you chosen

I love an octagon shape on the floor

Depending on your home I would do a blue cabinet along the lines of the wall in this photo and I would paint the walls white and maybe even consider a wallpaper.

ozmaldonado

these are the colors in my home

Flo Mangan

What color is bedding in adjoining room? I see nice whites in these photos so I would try nice white in bathroom.

ozmaldonado

ignore the tub the contractor temporarily put in my room. lol.

Flo Mangan

Humm. So might need to do a color that blends your beiges/browns (warm tones) with cool colors in bathroom. Perhaps a pretty silver blue tone. Need some samples.

ozmaldonado

I'm gonna be honest once it was installed, as beautiful as it is, I almost cried because I felt it was in the cool tones and didn't match with the rest of the house :-( and I'm struggling with pulling it together.

Flo Mangan

Oh we can get you there. No worries. Given me a bit of time. We can get there.

• Ashley Lee

I actually love the contrast of cool carrera marble with warmer wood tones. Don't cry, I think you will end up with something super chic and fitting in with the rest of your home!

Flo Mangan

OK, one option (not sure what your overall thinking is) would be to use a color on the walls in SW Rainwashed. A very pretty green/blue spa like color. Then in the bedroom change your comforter or duvet to a combo with this color and a pillow or two in the color. You could paint your vanity cabinet a taupe color. Do you own the tall mirrors? If so, we could use a gold wash on the black frames to warm up the frames. Could use Rub n Buff in antique gold too. Then add towels in the pretty spa blue/green color along with fluffy whites. It would be beautiful. Does something like this appeal to you? We can explore other options.

• Ashley Lee

just some examples of the wood and marble look :)

Cambridge Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Powder Bath · More Info

Cedar Lake International Style · More Info

San Francisco Remodel · More Info

Flo Mangan

With just a few bedding adjustments you can have this ensuite resort ready in no time!!

• Buzz Solo

Listen to Flo, Flo knows.

• RedRyder

Yes, Flo is right. You can add blue tones that pull the bedroom and bathroom together. Don’t get upset about the grey in the marble. It’s more neutral than you think. Flo will help you. (The

• RedRyder

I was going to say: (The tub in the bedroom must be adding to your stress! Hard to decorate around that...)

Design Interior South

SO based on your photos , which are dark so hard to see exactly, you have somewhat of a farmhouse industrial vibe going on in main living areas and overall your colors are neutral . I still love the blue but it doesn't look as if you are a lover of it. Have you considered staining your vanity instead of painting it? They have stains now that create the weathered wood look. If not I would do a larger format hexagon with a contrasting detail like this on the floor

I would then weather your existing vanity or paint it black.

again I would reconsider the height of your mirror because I think your mirror is going to go higher than your side wall and that is going to look "off" Some simple metal framed mirrors would work. To keep it in line with the rest of your home do black metal or nickel.

Franco Mirror · More Info

if you want to warm it up do gold

Elegant Decor Eternity 40" x 24" Contemporary Metal Frame Mirror in Brass · More Info

I would still paint your walls white. I would actually pull the oak medicine cabinet and do a more streamlined one there. Simple mirror no frame.

If you use black metal mirrors or nickel I would do nickel hardware on the cabinets.

Lucite on Satin Gold Pull, 128mm Hole Centers, 7", Set of 10 · More Info

If you use gold mirror I would do gold hardware on the cabinets. Bring in some lighting to coordinate. You don't have room for sconces so id do some simple clean lined lighting.

Hard to see but it looks like you may already have a woven blind at the window?

Radiance Cordless Privacy Weave Bamboo Roman Shade, Driftwood 35"x64" · More Info

ozmaldonado

what color stain so you suggest for cabinets? darker to blend with woven shade? and even though the ceiling is 12' in the bathroom you feel the mirrors are too tall?

ozmaldonado

this is how I rectified the problem in the 1st bathroom. still have to add nickle hardware, did (2) round mirrors and decide on wall color.

ozmaldonado

my phone camera takes bad pictures with lighting

ozmaldonado

flo, excellent ideas but im struggling with the blue. I guess im a neutral girl 👧

Flo Mangan

Well, you can take the blues and go other tones but you have to do something in the bathroom perhaps the vanity with staining wood to bring some warmth in. Notice the limed wood in this photo. That can work. All “neutrals” is fine, but you need some contrast to bring depth,warmth and dimension. Think about staining the cabinets or doing a multi layered look on them. Maybe the flooring change will help you too.

Flo Mangan

Well, you can take the blues and go other tones but you have to do something in the bathroom perhaps the vanity with staining wood to bring some warmth in. Notice the limed wood in this photo. That can work. All “neutrals” is fine, but you need some contrast to bring depth,warmth and dimension. Think about staining the cabinets or doing a multi layered look on them. Maybe the flooring change will help you too. Btw, SW Rainwashed is not blue. It is more of a gray green actually but very pretty irl. But I get you want basically beige. Just select wall color carefully.

Design Interior South

I picked up on the blue being a no go from your home photos. Thats fine. Not everyone is a blue person. My suggestion is this. You could easily put gray in here because of all the gray thats in the marble. That would be the EXPECTED choice. I say add something else. Black, aged wood, etc. Per my suggestions above bring in a aged brass/gold can warm up the space.

As far as the height of lights and mirror I have put a line up in reference to the height I am referring to.
    Here is a mock up of what I am talking about with some paint colors. Sea salt may be a winner here and this bathroom could really be interesting with white walls and sea salt on the ceiling and a chandelier.

Flo Mangan

I thought about Sea Salt too, but I'm just kind of sick of it. I am not a fan of doing black but that is an option if you keep the tall mirrors?

Design Interior South

I think the black is a good juxtaposition between the more farm house vibe in the home and the formality of the Carerra marble and would serve as a good neutral. I am talking white on the walls and sea salt on the ceiling which I think is slanted? There are many colors like it that could work that wont go as blue. Could be stunning. and unexpected.

ozmaldonado

update: slowly getting there. just need to update flooring.

ozmaldonado

next, redo tile

• roarah

It looks great so far. What are you thinking of for the floor?

ozmaldonado

I'm a visual person so I plan on getting samples. part of me feels there isn't enough wood tones to warm it up. oh I don't know. lol.

• roarah

I like the balance you have now between warm and cool colors. I know they are trending down but three years ago when I added a master bath most of my inspiration pics had wood like tile with marble showers. It might be an option for you.

I ended going a different route because my bath abuts real wood floors but it looks like you have carpeting. Again it is looking lovely!

ozmaldonado

thank you!

Altair

White cabinets would be my go to..

ozmaldonado

Altair, you don't feel thats too much white? sterile looking?

• RedRyder

You could go with wood looking tiles (or vinyl) if you want to add warmth.