sabbio

Anderson 400 vs Sanford Hills by Matthew Bros

sabbio

Doing a new construction vacation mountain home in Maine and struggling with my window choice. I have Anderson 400 series at my permanent residence in NY and love them. My builder has suggested Sanford Hill by Matthew Brothers. I will be doing double hung, white exterior and wood interior.

PRO: Honestly I love the design of the tilt wash hinges on the Matthews Bros over the Andersons. Also, Matthews Bros child safety latch prevents the windows from opening all the way. To fully open the window the safety latches have to be "clicked in". When the window is closed again, the safety latch re-engages. An extra step that I would gladly take to assure no accidents happen.

PRO: Sanford Hills brochure says they are high performing, energy efficient and seemingly appropriate for Maine's extreme climate changes. They are a Maine company who has been in business forever.

PRO: The total project quotes show that Matthews Bros are roughly $8000 cheaper than the Andersons.

CON: Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

CON: I don't know anyone who has these windows in their homes to get their review.

Would love to get more PROS/CONS reviews.

• remodelzombie

I don't know about Sanford Hills but I've had Anderson and also Pella Windows. You can't go wrong with either Anderson OR Pella. I absolutely loved them both.

You get some weather in Maine so energy efficiency is important. I had a full house of Pella windows in Lake Tahoe and the energy efficiency was amazing during the cold winters. My Anderson windows were in my home 20 years ago in Sacramento but I did have one Anderson Art Glass in Lake Tahoe and it was also efficient.

I had safety latches on my Pella windows. I don't know about Anderson on the safety latches.

Pros --Anderson/Pella you can choose standard or custom window sizes, several glazing/glass package options and extras like exterior cladding, several grille styles and screen types and many interior/exterior color and hardware options. Pella offers several types of wood materials while Anderson's choices are very limited (I suppose this could be a Con). They can be used for new construction or replacement. Well made products. Very energy efficient. I recently read that Pella has Insynctive window sensors that integrate with smart home security systems and Anderson has Wireless VeriLock security sensors. I wish they would have had that when I bought them. Pella--Option for built-in blinds or shades (Loved this feature!). Both Pell/Anderson have roll-up/down screens which is a nice feature if you want to be able to use the screen in the summer to keep the bugs out but in the winter want to clarify your views. Anderson-- also has an Art Glass series (stained glass that you choose your own custom colors) I used on one of my kitchen windows that brought light into the kitchen without revealing the view of our neighbor. Nice!

Cons-- both are expensive but well worth the luxurious beauty. Except for the limited wood choices, I can't think of any cons for Anderson. Loved the Pella windows with shades inside but one con would be that for some reason, some of the windows I had to unlock and open in order to lower or raise the shades which was inconvenient. Pella was a pain to wash because there were basically two windows with mini blinds inside. I believe Anderson windows have tilt hinges for washing...or at least some of the windows do.

I HIGHLY recommend having a Pella or Anderson installer or you will have a difficult time with the warranty if you should have any issues down the road. This is an informative article which also compares Pella/Andersen to alternative lines at the end of the article. . https://www.roofingcalc.com/pella-vs-andersen-windows-cost/

sabbio thanked remodelzombie
  • millworkman

"CON: Sometimes, you get what you pay for."

No, you always get what you pay for. I would look into Marvin in either the Essentials or the Elevate fiberglass lines as a comparison, depending on the look and interior finish you are going for. If going for an all white interior and exterior you may want to look at Okna, Polaris, Softlite in a vinyl window. Vinyl would be give you without a doubt the better performance numbers. The 400 series is ok, nothing great and anything Pella, run the other way.

• sabbio

Thank you remodelzombie! That article at the bottom was very informative! I hope to see that type of comparison with the Sanford Hills window from Mathews Brothers. Apparently in cold northern climate zones there is a condensation resistance factor to consider. According to some articles I have read, interior water vapor condensing on the glass surface can result in mold growth and sheetrock damage. I can find these values for Sanford Hills but not for Andersens.

• remodelzombie

Yes. Cold and elevation -- they change the air between the duo glass...I can't remember exactly if it was the pressure or what was changed . We were at 7200 ft elevation AND cold. Didn't have any problem with water vapor. I looked at Marvin windows also but I have never had them. Good luck!

• Tiny J

We are restoring a very old home in Maine and were looking at Pella, Marvin and Anderson, needing 25+ windows. Our contractor steered us to Matthews Brothers, he felt pretty strongly that they would be the best bet for our house. We were very impressed with MB and ultimately went with the Sanford window. We haven’t moved in yet, but I have to say, they are absolutely beautiful and I look forward to great performance from them based on the companies excellent reputation.

• debrsmith

We have two Matthews Brothers replacement windows and have been very happy with them. Now looking at replacing the rest of the windows in our 1880 house (In Maine). Matthews Brothers is high on our list. Also looking at Marvin.

RES2

The Andersen 400 is available in two models: the Tilt-Wash and the Woodwright. They have the same vinyl clad wood frame but the former has a painted wood sash with unattractive raised glazing stops and the latter has a composite clad wood sash. They both tilt for washing. Which are you considering?

The building code in Maine requires fall protection devices for windows that are high enough from the ground but have low sills so all manufacturers offer an option for spring clips in the sash that must be depressed in order to open the window more than 4".

I have never used a Mathews window because I have never specified a vinyl window but but I am about to order two hoppers for a basement renovation.

The best affordable Marvin window is the Elevate fiberglass model (formerly called the Integrity). I've used the all fiberglass Essential model in a shower but its not as attractive as the other models..