I need help deciding on floor and wall tile for master bathroom

Mary

We’ve selected Calacatta Oro marble for our counter and need help deciding on the bathroom floor and shower/bath walls.

Will these porcelain tiles look good in the same room as our marble counters?

First pic is the counter material.

The second pic is of the bathroom floor and shower wall tiles.

• eld6161

No. While many here will tell you not to mix marble with a look alike porcelain, not isn’t my reason.

I think it will be too busy. Personally, I would stRt by choosing the shower tiles, shower floor and bathroom floor first. If you want to go busy on the floor and walls, you need to tone down the counter.

It’s hard for me to discern the actual color ps in that sample. Gray, taupe, and off white?

• Mary

Thank you. The marble has gray/green and gold veining with off white background. The porcelain tiles have the same. We’ve already selected the marble slabs for the counters so need to decide on the others. Would it look okay to use this tile on either the floor or shower walls and then do a solid color for the other?

The counters are on the opposite side of the room from the shower and bath area.

• eld6161

We went through the process and are almost finished. I found it difficult to piece meal different components that would look good. We even thought about marble. We visited so many tile stores.

I was lucky to see a tile I liked in a kitchen/showroom. We were there looking at cabinetry.

The tile had matching pieces for shower floor and floor. We chose to do polished on the shower walls, matte mosaic on the floor and matte floor tiles.

When we were getting a sample of this tile at a tile store, we happened to mention we were looking for cabinetry. Two doors down was a custom showroom and he had all the samples of quartz.

We had the sample tile and it matched nicely with Silestone Lagoon.

Silestone Lagoon

Just had the door installed! The bench seat and the threshold are in the Lagoon

Closeup of floor.

in real life, the shadowing is more pronounced.

• eld6161

To answer your question, in my opinion, I would go quieter on the floor.

Can you post a picture of your floor layout?

The gray/green might be a bit hard, so I would go off white on the floor.

How about those tiles on the walls and see if they have a coordinating shower floor tile in matte finish?

I would use a plain porcelain tile in a color from the counter and in 12 x24 and the same in the shower walls and a smaller version for the shower floor. IMO the fewer patterens in a small space the better.

• Mary

Thank you so much. Not sure if it will change your recommendation. The room is ~12’x13’.

Debbi Washburn

Does that tile come larger? We sell stuff that's similar and the pattern softens a bit the larger the tile.

In this picture , the floors are 12 x 24 tile, the walls are 3 x 12 and there is also a mosaic tile. These are all the same tile but the pattern intensity change with the size

• Cheryl Smith

I really love the countertop you chose but I wouldn't choose the wall, floor tile. As an accent maybe but i think it just to busy and will detract from your great countertop. Solid gray or linen would be my choice.. a glass on the shore walls would look nice

• btydrvn

Shower floor is usually better/safer in a smaller mosaic tile....less slippery and an opportunity to add a little contrast and detail to all the big tile spaces

• Mary

Thanks all for your advice and comments. Here’s another set of tiles we were considering. Possibly for bathroom floor or shower walls. I agree that it may be too busy if we have a similar pattern on the counter, floor and walls.

This pic has the marble counter sample we’ve selected along with a possible marble shower floor tile (herringbone) plus floor/walls tiles that are a bit different than the ones in the original post. These two don’t seem quite as busy as the tiles in my original post. One of these is polished and one is matte. Please let me know your thoughts.

• eld6161

While lovely, I was afraid of marble for the shower floor. It feels slippery To me and though they say it is fine with the grout lines. There are ways to rough it up but I didn’t want to do that to a new product!

When I asked here, some admitted yes it was a bit slippery. No thank you. I’m in my 60’s.

I would do the large tiles on the shower walls and see if there is a a matte coordinating smaller tile for the shower floor.

I would then find an off white for the floor, again in matte.

If you put that tile on the floor, I would keep the shower plain.

This is all so personal. We have friend that put in busy tile on the floor and walls. They like it. Do you like busy?

I had lots of inspiration pictures. I think you need to google a bit.

• Mary

To help you to see the area, the pony wall is going to be removed. The shower will then have glass to the floor. The pony wall between the shower and tub will be gone. The tub will be replaced with a free standing tub and the wall around the shower and tub area will be tiled up about 7.5 feet.

• Mary

Here’s the vanity side of the room.

• Mary

Eld6161 I agree about slippery floors in the shower. I see you posted a photo with smaller floor tiles. How are you liking them? Do you find those to be slippery at all?

• eld6161

We are still under construction, so haven’t used the shower yet. But I have used showers with similar tiles.

You have a nice size bathroom.

I think I stand by using the busy tile on the floor and then keeping the shower area simple.

Are you keeping the same layout for the vanity?

• Mary

Yes, we’re keeping the same vanity layout. Thinking about painting it a darker color —something that will tie in with one of the darker colors in the marble counters.

Looks like I’ll be making another trip to the tile store, haha.

I had chosen a lovely solid tile for the wall in the shower and bath area but it only comes in 6x6. That seems like too much grout for a wet area.

• eld6161

Not necessarily. But if you are going big on the floor, I would go big on the walls.

Lots if subway tiled showers.

How about asking for boards with coordinating tiles?