Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyrepuppy

Backsplash for Sea Pearl Quartzite, Wall & Cabinet Colors, Also

B H
3 years ago

I'm just beginning my kitchen remodel and am in such a quandry as to, well, everything! Here is a picture of my quartzite in broad daylight, around 12:00 noon. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (45)

• kirbybunny7
    3 years ago

You are going to have to add a lot more information and pictures before anyone can offer advice.

B H thanked kirbybunny7
  • Michelle misses Sophie
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What @kirbybunny7 said.

A photo of a slab outdoors in sunlight is meaningless in terms of choosing other finishes.

You need at least a piece of the actual slab, indoors in the actual space with the natural light you have, along with the cabinet finish, floors, etc. Then you can audition backsplash time with those other elements. Then you have all the finishes in the space they will exist (ideally LARGE samples if not the actual items - not little 2"x2" squares), you make large paint boards that you move around to the different walls at different times of the day to see how they work with the natural light and other finishes you have. A room with north-facing windows will pull drastically different colors than one with east- facing, south-facing, or west-facing windows. The same grey paint could go green, blue, or lavender depending on the exposure. A beige could go yellow, pink, or green again depending on the exposure.

You do not choose these things outdoors. You do not choose them out of context of all the other finishes. You do not choose them based off a picture of just a slab taken outdoors. You choose them in situ in the space and lighting in which they will exist, with as much of their hard finish companions in as large a piece as possible.

Common paint mistakes

• lindacottonwood
    3 years ago

One comment I will add is that you confirm what sealer your fabricator will be using. My guy used a color enhancing sealer and it changed the color of my Sea Pearl Quartzite. A lot.

B H thanked lindacottonwood
  • B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a photo of my current kitchen. I am painting the cabinets, adding a different vent/hood, changing out the countertops to the Sea Pearl Quartzite shown above, adding pendant lighting and painting walls and ceiling. As I said before, I am just starting and have no idea what colors, etc. Any suggestions at all will help! Thank you!

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Linda, thanks for the info...I am having a hydroseal applied. I will ask my installer about this. I certainly don't want my Sea Pearl to change...I am in love with it!

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is another view of my current kitchen.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Have you chosen the paint color for the cabinets? If not, take one door off and put it next to your granite. Bring a deck of colors from BM or SW to select your door color. Backsplash decisions come after the cabinets are painted and the countertop is in. That stone would allow for many different colors. It’s very, very beautiful!!

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you RedRyder...that’s a great idea and helps me a great deal!

• P M
    3 years ago

When I did my kitchen, I started with the backsplash tile! I chose a stone counter to go with it, and then chose a cabinet stain to work with the counter. We all have our own methods.

The luminosity of your counter material is something you want to highlight, so I would suggest translucent glass tile for the backsplash. Pick out those lovely, pearly, cool grays:

These are all Artistic Tile brand, which is what I used in my kitchen (I used their Opera Glass, in a jade color). Very expensive, but oh, so worth it. There are many choices — and price points — for glass tile. Daltile, in contrast, is quite inexpensive, and they have this (for which i would choose a different color grout::

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

P M - You’re absolutely right. If you’re first love is a specific backsplash tile, then all other decisions come from that. The question here was to match her extraordinary granite. Some of your suggestions would work with her stone.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMo before doing anything that lighting all needs to changed to LED in 4000K as for a backsplash I think something really simple in a glass larger format subway type tile in a gray from the counter would be my choice. let that counter be the star.

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, thank you all for your wonderful advice...I’m really getting an education here! The lighting will definitely be changed, as well, Patricia...that LED will really brighten up the place! I truly appreciate you all...

• rebasheba
    3 years ago

Re: sealer, research the fabricator's proposed sealer well and get a sample chunk sealed. Many folks on this forum have had issues with quartzite staining, including with Sea Pearl.

In answer to your question, yes to getting your cabinet color settled first, and I'd look at some handmade ceramic tile (e.g. Encore) -- I think a soft white with just a whisper of color and variation would set off the stone.

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Rebasheba...the Encore ceramic tile is so pretty and available in my area (Austin TX). The Artistic is beautiful as well but not available here. Thank you! I also like your suggestion for color...I will make an appointment to see tile today. The sealant really concerns me. Does it have to be sealed? I’m in love with the quartzite I have and definitely do not want the color to change!

• lindacottonwood
    3 years ago

Just confirm with them what sealer they are using and that it is not a color enhancing one.

You need a sealer. My quartzite other than the fact that the color changed has been holding up well. I love it too.

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Lindacottonwood!

• Kerrey Saunders
    3 years ago

i just installed Sea Pearl and deciding between glossy glass or matte glass backsplash? Any tips? Would it look funny to have matte with the high gloss counter? I was thinking the glossy backsplash might be too much. Any ideas appreciated

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I tried glass with mine but I didn’t like it. I decided on a glossy ceramic tile that I fell in love with and it looks gorgeous just holding one tile up with it. Hopefully it will look great! It’s being installed on Saturday. I will let you know.

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

BH, please share photos of your update. And yes 100% to sealing your quartzite, it will stain otherwise. Sealing mine did not change the color.

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dawn, I will. They didn’t finish the installation today but will finish tomorrow. Please send pix of yours, too...would love to see it!

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

I have tried to upload the photo a couple of times and houzz is being fussy today. Will try again later. However you can click on my photo and go to my idea books and see my renovated kitchen with the quartizite slab.

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

Very pretty kitchen @annemp

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dawn, your kitchen turned out beautiful...I love it! The Sea Pearl is truly a very special and unique stone. They are still working away in my kitchen today, so I’ll post pix later today or tomorrow.

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Annemp, your kitchen is gorgeous, too! And I really like the window and seating, too!

• AnneP
    3 years ago

Thx—Just sold the house and feeling a bit sad about it — had a lot of light for being in a row house in Old Town Alex, VA.

• User
    3 years ago

Your countertops will be beautiful. Keep the backsplash simple. Nothing busy multi colored

• Barb C
    3 years ago

beautiful kitchens, Dawn & Anne!

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

BH all natural stones are so fun and unique. Ours we found out after install was not a true quartzite, more like a marble...but I still love it. It's one of kind, as yours will be. Excited to see your kitchen.

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dawn, I just took a peek at your bathroom renovation. Is the last pic your bathroom? If it is, what color are your walls and cabinets? It looks so beautiful! I’m having such a hard time finding the perfect color for our living room. Thank you!

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

Renovated Master Bath · More Info

BH, this is my renovated master bath, are you asking about this color, or the before...which is the last photo? There are two colors on the wall in the master bath, one is Gossamer Veil by SW, which you see here with the vanities. The background to the soaking tub is Tin Lizzie, by SW.

Renovated Master Bath · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

BH, are you sure you don't have a marble? it doesn't look like Sea Pearl.

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

However, if you're looking for a great white color; I've used Greek Villa from SW. It's in my living room, master bedroom and hallways. I will post a couple photos of that for you. Btw if anyone sees this and has recommendation for my fireplace below...would love help; lol (or I can start a post for that...) The antique tangka above the fireplace has to be framed but the mantle/fireplace needs some love. (and yes I know the rug is bossy...it's also an antique and it stays)

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth...hmmmm. They told me it was Sea Pearl Quartzite. I did try to cut a piece of it with a knife and could not even make a scratch in it. I think it would have at least scratched the marble? The guy that put the hydro shield on it sprayed a few puddles of alcohol on it to see how porous it was so he would know which treatment to put on it. It only needed the basic treatment because it wasn’t very porous at all. I did notice that mine doesn’t look like others. Maybe it’s a different kind of quartzite? Either way I am happy with it! ;-).
    They ran out of backsplash tile so I had to order more, and it’s not here, yet. Painters are starting tomorrow. Then I’ll install the lighting and put up a pic. Thanks for being so observant!

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dawn, I originally told the painters Greek Villa, but then I read that it might look yellow so I switched to Pure White. I’m really nervous about it...afraid it will be too stark. The Greek Villa looks beautiful in your house...I love it! It’s too late for me to change again, as the painters are coming tomorrow. Aarghhhhh! I can’t believe I have any hair left after all this! 🤪

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Btw Dawn, I also love your “bossy” rug!

• Dawn Martinez
    3 years ago

BH, thanks. So many housers have talked about dark Persian rugs being bossy. I love the color depth of mine, it was a great buy from a man who collected antique rugs - this one was never even on the floor until my house. So it was in great condition.

As for Greek Villa is does NOT look yellow at all; I have it all over my home. In the living room as you can see, the hallway upstairs, the master bedroom and the hallway downstairs and the family room. Not even a hit of yellow. I would make sure you love what they put on the walls. If you want Greek Villa, get it. You will have to live with the walls and the color, and unless they did a custom color for you, there is no reason they can't exchange for Greek Villa. I find it's the perfect white. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

it's beautiful. hydro shield? True quartzite doesn't stain or etch. there is no 'different' kind. either it's quartzite, or it's not. no in-between.

do you have a spare little piece w/no coating on it? you could try dripping some lemon juice on it and see what happens.

or take a sharp corner of the stone and see if it scratches a glass tile.

love to see it installed when it's all done !

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth H...I used a remnant of my “quartzite?” To cut a sample of glass tile I have, and it did cut it. And the hydroshield people tested it with pure alcohol instead of lemon juice and it did not etch or stain. So I guess it isn’t marble...maybe quartzite of a different name besides Sea Pearl??
    I’ve been told that I definitely need to have it sealed so I chose a place called Hydroshield of Austin. I totally love it! Every liquid I have had on the countertops has beaded up and can be wiped up perfectly with a cup towel, no smears! I was told to clean it with a solution of 1/2 denatured alcohol and 1/2 water...spray and wipe...works like a miracle. It’s so shiny I just love it!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

alcohol isn't acidic like lemon juice. And if they're using hydro shield on your slab, then it's marble. they wouldn't need to use it on quartzite.

I wonder if that stuff is the same as what I have on my marble,, azerocare? it's from Anolini in Italy. it does work.

• HU-656653905
    3 years ago

Pic of our sea pearl which has more grey \ green in it. Off white cabinets 4 parts white \ 1 part grey and blue backsplash. good luck

• B H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, you did a great job on your kitchen! I love the contrast of the dark backsplash against the cabinets. It’s very beautiful. Meanwhile, I’m still waiting on my drawer pulls. Also parts of my pendants got lost so I still have 2 holes in the ceiling. Very pretty haha! I will post a pic as soon as everything is done. I also like your Sea Pearl...can’t go wrong with that. 👍🏼

• Barb C
    3 years ago

love the corner pantry!

• Sara R
    2 years ago

B H - any updated pictures?

• JJ Mekai
    last year

@B H, any project completion photos to share?