stupidlazydog

Stuck a couple of H. ilagiorum cuttings in expanded shale a month ago

Behold, new growth...

and a new root!

So exciting :-)

Comments (12)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Is that semi-hydro? I looked it up and I see it has very nice blooms...Are you going to pot it in a mix?

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think it would be considered semi-hydro. I keep about an inch or so of water/dilute plant food in the bottom of the container. I probably will pot it in a mix eventually, haven't really thought that far ahead.

The cuttings are from a plant I bought at Logee's about a year ago. It got badly sunburned this spring when I first put it outside and lost some of it's leaves, so I cut a couple of long stems that, sadly, had only one or two leaves left on them.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Cool! I've had pretty good success rooting hoyas in semi-hydro. But I never thought of using expanded shale. Good to know!

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My son had bought a large bin of it a couple of years ago for growing hydroponically, but hasn't been using it. I don't have any hydroton/leca so decided to try the shale. I also have some Krimson Princess cuttings in grow stones. Haven't seen new growth or visible roots on those yet, but the leaves have plumped back up after getting thin and kind of desiccated. I figure that's a good sign :-)

3 years ago

Expanded shale is actually pretty similar to leca from what I understand. You just fell into success! They can live in there forever really. In a few months, you can give it some Foliage Pro at the recommended recipe for hydroponics.

For some of mine, I use those plastic Talenti Gelato jars. I use my wood burning tool to poke holes around it at a little over an inch from the bottom. That way, I can flush the existing water by flooding water from the top and letting it come out the holes. This carnosa has been living in this jar for about a year now.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Using those Talenti jars is a great idea. I also have some Hoya cuttings in shale in net pots, sitting in water in a plastic box.

H. macrophilla albomarginata, H. pusilla, and H. linearis cuttings were a little limp after their trip through the mail. I thought the added humidity of being in the box would help.

The same with these H. retusa cuttings so put them in sphagnum in a food tray

I've been caught up in a bit of cutting frenzy lately :-)

Original Author
    3 years ago

My Krimson Princess cuttings rooted really well in the grow stones...

3 years ago

Cool! yes I have also had good success rooting hoyas in leca.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, I know, have heard that. I have rooted things in water in the past (like, decades ago, lol) and never had a problem transplanting into soil. I guess time will tell with these. I'll post an update photo in a month or two. Hopefully all will go well :-)

Keep in mind these are planted in a mix of bark, coco chips, coarse perlite (think there's a bit of pumice in there as well) and a small amount of coir, so I don't know that the change is so terribly radical.

• Bill M.
    3 years ago

Stupidlazydog - I have a terrible time getting my retusa to root. I've tried sphagnum with a humidity tent around it and they continually die off. Any other suggestions?

Original Author
    3 years ago

I did have luck rooting retusa in sphagnum in the food tray on a heating mat. They looked so fragile, I was afraid to try them in the shale, but, if you haven't had luck with sphagnum, you could try leca/hydroton or shale.