What base/trim color scheme works best for exterior

Erik

I am trying to discern best exterior color schemes for my house. Would appreciate opinions on what other people would choose if they owned my house. I understand that color schemes are subjective, but hearing other people's ideas are helpful. Some ideas that others have given me is Balanced Beige and Stone Lion, which seem uninspiring to me.

• RedRyder

Decor White will work, for sure.

• Erik

RedRyder: I now looking hard at using Casa Blanca (SW 7571) which is what I see HOA's recommend when using Townhall Tan for the base color. One "tough" question is we are now dealing with is whether to use the trim color (i.e. Casa Blanca) for the garage color. From what I read, it is "acceptable" to use either the trim or the base color for the garage.

There is a little aversion from having the house look "too tan" by carrying that color to the garage as well. But does using the trim color make the house look "too small?" Does using the trim color for the garage take too much focus off the rock and front door. Thoughts?

What's your favorite contemporary neutral color scheme for walls and trim?

The exterior of my house is painted a gray with a definite green undertone. I love it on the outside, but I am not sure I would want my entire interior painted that color. According to BM, Nimbus Gray is "...as dense as the cloud for which it's named, this cool mid-tone blue-gray evokes memories of an early winter walk on a deserted wind-swept beach." A pretty color; see below. Next is Gray Mirage, again a gray with a green undertone, but this one I could see doing the entire interior in. Candace called it, her "can't lose color." is almost white, with a slight blush to it according to Candace. You guests should look good in this color. Last on the list is is a warm pale off-white, that Candace likes to pair with Cloud White, which is one of the top whites seen on Houzz. If I were doing the entire interior, I would chose either Pale Oak or Niveous for a great off-white look. Or, if I didn't want off-white and wanted the walls to have color, Candace's "can't lose" Gray Mirage! I just decided that I am starting a color ideabook, these are great choices. My choice for finish for the walls is matte. It is washable and doesn't reflect light, so the color is truer. Flat for the ceiling (cheaper) and a satin or a gloss for the trim. For colors testing, use large foam core boards. You can move them around the rooms, take them up and downt o view alone and against the other color samples, see them in the day and at night.

Exterior doors color schemes

Pardon me for saying so. I think your having such a hard time with the doors because the trim is too dark. too much contrast. Looks harsh to me. Very stark. Also, the greenery is too much. Got to go. Cannot see your home.

Exterior Colour Scheme for Brick Home: Front Door and Roof Colour?

Thank you decoenthusiaste! Here is a link of the post with the uploaded pictures: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/exterior-colour-scheme-for-brick-home-front-door-and-roof-colour-dsvw-vd~4075791 [(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/exterior-colour-scheme-for-brick-home-front-door-and-roof-colour-dsvw-vd~4075791)

The roof is the major new color you will inject. Find that color first and the rest will follow.
  • RedRyder

Having a white garage is so standard that it will not take away from other key features (like your stone). I’m starting to lean towards that. I realized from your last comment that EVERYTHING one color might be overwhelming. A white or lighter garage will break it up.
    I’ll check out Casa Blanca.

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • RedRyder

Yes, I like Casa Blanca. A lot! Try it on poster board next to TT on one side and Decora white on the other. I may prefer Casa Blanca over all the choices.

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: Another trim color that is recommended by some HOA's to go with Townhall Tan is called Cottage Cream SW 7678 (LRV 72).

• katinparadise

I have Casa Blanca in my master bedroom. It is a nice off white. It can go a little yellow in bright sunlight but it's a really pretty color. It may work well next to your Townhall Tan.

Erik thanked katinparadise
  • RedRyder

Cottage Cream may not provide enough contrast with the TT (?). I like Casa Blanca more.

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: Where do you come down on using the base color for the garage color or using the trim color? This is another tough call that we are discerning.

• RedRyder

Looking at the two photos above, I actually like the lighter garage. If your trim color is not super high contrast, it can work. Or a lighter version of the TT but not the exact same color everywhere. In a previous post, you mentioned a concern with an overly tan looking house. I’m thinking that could be a problem if the garage is the tan as well. (I know people see your garage first, which is common, but your cute house will still be the attention grabber.)

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: So if I choose a lighter garage color, I was just going to use whatever trim color (i.e. Casa Blanca) as the color for the garage? Would this be considered too "super high contrast" in your opinion. Or do you think that choosing a white color like Dover White of Pure White would be the safe color for the garage? I often read that the garage should be the same color as the base color or choose white. Please note that TT is considered a "timeless color" so there is not a lighter or darker shade on the color swatch.

• Erik

RedRyder: In walking around the neighborhood, I feel comfortable choosing the same color for the base and garage when it choosing what appears to be a lighter color. For example, the picture below looks really appealing to me. The neighbor chose a color called "Oakwood" from Kelly Moore. This looks works for me because the garage is not what I would consider to be "too dark" and they have the same rock color scheme that I do as well. Thoughts?

• RedRyder

If that color is close to yours, it does look good.

Erik thanked RedRyder
    Beth H. :

i'm prob late to the party, but I like some of these

gave you a new address plaque, but you'd need some diff garage lights. (and a new door/planters)

garage door is a creamy tan color

I also like the addition of these pavers on your white stones

but would bring in these copper pots and ;bright green foliage to work w/the warmer tones in your stone

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Not late at all Beth. Thank you for your input.

• Erik

Beth H. A foxtail colored front door is being installed (semi-circle glass on top - not pictured) in October.

• Erik

Beth H.: What color is the "creamy tan" for the garage - Softer Tan? Although subjective, do you think a new garage should have a window on the top row or not? I notice that many of the two-story homes in my area have "no window" garage doors whereas single-story homes like mine have "window" garage doors on the top row. Your arrow and handle design on the creamy garage door is exactly what I would choose for a design.

Beth H. :

I like the top windows you have. And the carriage hardware can be ordered for less than $40 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=carriage+hardware+for+garage+doors&i=tools&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I like the looks of this one. w/the windows. and I like the lights like this for your house. since your lights are so high, get a new pair that face downward.

I actually got if for my own garage door.

as for the creamy tan color, not sure. It's just the color of the door in the pic.

you could see if any of these lighter shades match your home.

what did you decide for the stucco? or is it staying as is? If so, I'd do a darker trim around the garage door, and then the lighter color (if you're doing that combo)

you see the 2nd pic w/the two doors? see the darker trim around the lighter garage door? like that.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. : Good idea on buying the lights facing downward. By chance, do have a link to lights on the picture above or have some other brand in mind on AMZ? I would like to get a new address number as well.

Still discerning SW Townhall Tan for the stucco or Oakwood (301) from Kelly Moore. Latte was under consideration. The struggle is whether to paint the garage the same color as base color or not as well. We feel "Townhall Tan" or "Latte" is a little bit on the depressing side to look at each day on the garage. On the other hand, does it look a little "off" by painting the garage the trim color (Pure White/Casa Blanca) when using the base color. This is a conundrum right now, hence the indecision.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • RedRyder

@BethH - do you have a suggestion for the trim with Townhall Tan? Is Decora White too stark? I love the lights you posted. We have mostly discussed paint.

Erik thanked RedRyder
    Beth H. :

you mean like this combo? the OP posted this earlier. this isn't my cup of tea at all, but it does work fine w/the tan.

this other one he posted is ok. but it's a diff style home. I like the stonework on the front.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. Given my home style, are you of the opinion that whatever base color is chosen for the body of the house should be the same color as the garage?

Beth H. :

no. I think I would want some contrast on the door. I posted my photo mock ups. what do you like?

I like this . I like the darker garage door w/the lighter stucco, and the added warm wood accents like the plaque and the front door. and the copper pots

You could go a tad lighter on the garage, or even go a tad darker on the trim color. If you did the light stucco w/Black Fox (or Urbane Bronze) for the fascia trim and the garage door, I'd like that.

New lights AND those wood accents all even out the look.

It's about balance and accenting so that things are complementary.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. From your mockup, the stucco color is not remaining "as is" and we are still discerning the appropriate base color.

Also, please assume that a foxtail colored front door will be installed, which I am guessing will change your garage color recommendation?

Are the colors that you listed in your mock up (i.e. Urban Bronze, Mega Greige, Windsor Greige, Latte, Ivoire, Roman Column, Navajo White) suggestions for what base color would go well with house, garage door colors, or both?

• Erik

Beth H. Also, a neighbor one street over used intellectual gray for the body of the house and urbane bronze for the garage, though they have no stone wall near the porch area as I do.

If we did not prefer too "dark" of a garage door like Urban Bronze, what would you recommend as an alternative garage door color? For example, if Latte or Townhall Tan was chosen as the base color for the house along with the foxtail colored front door, what garage door color would you choose - the trim color like Roman Column?

Beth H. :

I like any of these light/dark combos

If you like Latte, then Roman column or Swiss coffee would be a nice white. It really is just a personal choice. grab some samples and try them out on the house.

maybe you like Urban jungle and Roman Column? or the Studio Taupe?

What about Stone Lion/White tail, and maybe the Bronze color for the garage doors?

or, what about some of these combos?

Softer Tan base, Alabaster trim, and Dapper Tan on the garage doors? (or vice versa)

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. If Urban jungle (base) and Roman Column (trim) are chosen, what would you suggest the color of the garage be painted? And do you believe that the gutter should be considered "trim" (i.e. Roman Column in this hypothetical case)? SW says Roman Column is only used for interior, not exterior.

Beth H. :

I don't know why one color is to be used for interior only. that doesn't even make sense.

but if so, then try Dover White, or Shoji White, or Creamy.

this pic, is basically what Stone Lion/Whitetail would look like. Urban Jungle would be a tad darker, and Roman Column (or something similar) would still resemble this.

On this one, they used a creamy, light tan base, slightly darker garage door, and a dark bronze color for the trim and downspouts. I like this option too

what do you like?

here's the same combo w/the darker door.

slightly diff base color. not so tan, more greige color. I like this one too. I like the darker trim around the roof fascia.

that would be similar to this combo:

You could do these three, using Jogging Path as the base, and bronze for the door. alabaster trim

Personally I like the lighter stucco, and the darker trim color w/ the garage door color somewhere in the middle, or the darker garage door.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
    Beth H. :

I love this one. Looks similar to the trio above. the Shoji White may be off. Could be Eider White

or this one

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. Thank you Beth for the examples. Stone Lion seems to be a very popular color recommendation for my house for some reason. It goes with the house, but it comes across as a "cold" color to us equivalent to a "cement" color. In your Stone Lion/Whitetail example, is Whitetail the color you would choose for the garage color? Also, are you of the opinion that the color of the gutter should be the same color as whatever "trim" color is selected since it is positioned so low?

Beth H. :

you can do the gutter in the same as the trim if you want it to blend. I did mine like that. but I have dark trim, swiss coffee base and wood-look garage doors.

If stone lion seems too cold, then try a similar shade, but w/warmer undertones. What a bout Loggia? It's more taupe.

As I've said, repeatedly, I like a darker garage door. I've given numerous examples and numerous color combos.

go on the SW ColorSnap app, upload a picture of your house, or the part w/the garage door, and play around w/the colors.

Maybe you like a lighter garage door. You seem to keep on trying to pin me down to go for a lighter door!

Until you pick a base color, and a trim color, just keep the garage door separate. you can come back to it. get your main two picked first.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. Currently leaning in the direction of Townhall Tan for the base. One of SW coordinating colors is Dover White and/or Alabaster for the trim. I have also seen pictures where Decor White or Case Blanca is used as trim colors. What is your opinion on the best trim to accompany TT as the base color?

Beth H. :

i'd get samples and try them all out on your house w/the tan color. that's the only way to know for sure. until then, you're just throwing darts. Dover is creamy. alabaster is warm and creamy. don't know about the others. just get samples.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. : Would you still recommend Urban Bronze as the garage color with TT as the body color and a foxtail colored front door? Or maybe a mahogany colored garage door?

Beth H. :

I think you can order a garage door in those bronze colors. (if you're getting a new one)

mahogany is very red. don't know if you want that.

until I can see some color samples, it's hard to say.

I've shown you what I like, and posted the color combos. not sure what else I can say!

I don't like tan. To me, this looks like 1997

so, you'll have to decide if you want a darker, or lighter garage door w/that color.

if you like the tan, get the tan. if you like a tan garage door, then do it the same color. you seem hesitant to go for contrast. but the only way you'll know is to sample it. it's only paint. not a big deal to cover it up if you don't like it!

get some samples of the tan, the whites and the UB or black fox. try them on your house!

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • Erik

Beth H. RedRyder: After driving around the neighborhoods (again), I spoke to a neighbor about the tan body color that he used for his house (see attached picture) that we liked better than Townhall Tan. It is called "Tranquil Tan" HGSW 3163 (LRV 28). The trim used is called "Back To Basics" HGSW 2157 (LRV 63), which complements the Tranquil Tan well. Their roof and rocks are similar colors to ours. We did notice that they used a different color for the gutter. We think the "Back to Basics" trim color also works for the gutter color. Now on to the garage color.

• Erik

Beth H. RedRyder: The neighbor used Mahogany for the garage door color, which seems to "red" for us. We are NOT against contrast. Again, our front door color will be "foxtail." Would "Walnut" or "Dark Brown" color garage work better than Mahogany? See below.

Dark Brown

Walnut

Garage door color that may work better than Mahogany. It happens to be next to tan colored house. :-) Is this Dark Brown? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Beth H. :

either one of those doors will work. maybe the walnut.

Erik thanked Beth H. :
  • RedRyder

Walnut is a nicer color to me but which would look better with the body color? You can decide this after you paint the house. Are you going to change to the color you liked on your neighbor’s house?

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: Yes, I am changing to the color of my neighbor's house. I was already going with a tan color (TT), but this tan looks better in my opinion than TT. My wife liked this look as well, so the journey is over on color scheme. My wife likes the Walnut colored garage door over the Dark Brown garage door, but both colors "work." We are in agreement that the Mahogany is too "red" looking for our taste and a brown or walnut-colored garage door is works better with the color tan. I kind lean towards Dark Brown colored garage door, but as long as it "fits" the color scheme, then that is what matters. Painting the garage a "dark tan" like the same as body color seems "off" and/or using the "trim" color for the garage door seems "off" because there is a lot of trim in the front with the gutter being so low. So choosing a dark brown or walnut-colored colored garage door seems to address this conundrum. :-)

• RedRyder

Agree. A darker color could work, but if you and your wife don’t like that idea, Beth brought up a completely different, yet viable, idea. (She tends to do that! She is very, very helpful.) I like both the walnut and dark brown better than “matching” paint.

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: What are thoughts about "Golden Oak" for the garage door color instead of Walnut. Do you think this color goes better with a tan body color? Also, the front door will be foxtail color? Should the garage door and front door be similar colors?

• RedRyder

I don’t think that color works with any of the house body colors you like. The garage should be one of the options offered in this thread: same color as the body, same color as the trim, a lighter version (up one color on the paint strip) of the body color, a dark walnut or brown that looks like real wood. The above has an orange undertone that clashes with the look you’re seeking.

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: Thank you Red Ryder. While keeping in mind that our front door will be a foxtail colored red, what are your thoughts on the garage colors below (brown and mahogany colored garage doors)? The tan color on the body of the house is what we intend to use. Do you think the brown colored garage pictured below) works with the tan color? Should Mahogany colored garage door be heavily considered because our front door will be foxtail color or do you think it does not matter if the front door color and garage color do not match?

Brown Garage Door

Mahagony Garage Door

• RedRyder

Based on these two photos, the Brown is better. I love Mahogany but any red undertones will look “off” with the house color you chose. A true brown will be best. I think that’s a classy idea for the garage door.

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: We chose the "brown" garage which is actually "Walnut" color.

• Erik

RedRyder: We are still considering Townhall Tan (LRV 42) as the base color with the Walnut color garage. With this combination, I am contemplating whether using the SW recommended coordinating trim color of "Dover White" (LRV 79) is the way to go for the trim to contrast both the base color and Walnut colored garage? Thoughts?

• RedRyder

You would have to try both of them (the tan and white) somewhere on the house in both sunlight a shade to see if that shade of white works. With the walnut garage door, I’d be concerned this too much of a stark contrast. Any chance you can change the garage door first, then paint the house? Is SW recommending those two colors together for outside?

Erik thanked RedRyder
  • Erik

RedRyder: Yes, we are going to install the garage first before painting the house. The garage installation will be in early November. On Friday, we are having the foxtail colored front door installed and the white security door removed. Once these are installed, I will post another updated picture of my house before painting it and get some feedback. :-)

SW lists Dover White (SW 6385 - LRV 83) and Natural Linen (SW 9109 - LRV 66) as coordinating trim colors with Townhall Tan (TT). HOA communities (I do not live in one) who use Townhall Tan as the base color mandate "Aged White" (SW 9180 - LRV 74) as the coordinating trim color for TT. Aged White is one shade darker than Dover White on the same color deck. Decor White has a yellow look to it that did not appeal to me. I do not think I want "yellow" in my trim color. Biscuit SW 6112 is also another trim color that I am looking into.

• RedRyder

Biscuit is a more subtle contrast as it has a more “tan” feel than Dover White or Aged White. In terms of contrast, the highest will be Dover, then Aged, then Biscuit. All of this is a matter of taste. I would get poster board and paint big swatches of TT on it with samples of these three trim choices next to it. That will be the best way to let your eyes decide how it looks in the sunlight. Doing these choices in your house isn’t a great idea. Things look different outside, which is where the decision needs to be made. Go get poster board and brushes!

Erik thanked RedRyder
Sponsored Story
EA Home Design
Pro Spotlight: Bring Fresh Flair to Your Kitchen or Bathroom