Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_finelli

Should I match island to my Slate Blue Viking?

Jessica Finelli
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello,

We are about to begin a kitchen renovation and are using Tedd wood cabinets which uses Sherwin Williams paint colors. We just chose a Viking 48 inch range in “Slate Blue” that is also based on the Sherwin Williams color “In The Navy.” We were originally going to do white perimeter cabinets in “Pure White” and a lighter blue Island but now we are thinking we might want to match our stove color. Please let me know your thoughts, I can’t find any examples online.

Thanks.

Comments (48)

• jck910
    3 years ago

Match it

• Liz Court
    3 years ago

I dont think I would match it exactly. Maybe do a lighter shade on the island so the range is the star.

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The range is kind of hidden from the island unless you are in dining room or standing I guess.

• akrogirl32
    3 years ago

I love your backsplash tile!!!

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love it too - just found it at artistic tile

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    3 years ago

Please rethink the Viking. Massive issues and poor customer service exist with that company. Do a BlueStar instead. And unless the range is in a location that isn’t hidden by the island, there’s little reason to upgrade to a color. The hood in a color can be a feature, as it isn’t hidden.

• megs1030
    3 years ago

I would not match your island to the range. Let the range be the star. Bring in blue accents like that gorgeous tile to tie it all together.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I agree with letting the range get the focus. Zalco has a good point regarding using the same color on different materials.

• PRO
    Greta Interiors
    3 years ago

I am working on a kitchen for a client who has chosen a wonderful colored range (take note! Seeing so many people splurging on these in my area.) We discussed painting the island the same color and then decided it would take away from the impact of the range. We have now added in splashes of the range color as an accent through accessories and its all coming together beautifully.

I would vote "no" on the island as it may pull focus from your fantastic range, which is essentially the crown jewel of your kitchen. When you have a bright color that is your impact point, its typically best to layer neutrals instead of repeating large blocks of that same color. Like everything the rules are made to be broken, so it you want it, go for it. But that is my two farthings.

• K R
    3 years ago

Beautiful! I also vote no, 1 because you’ve already got the fabulous range and 2 because you’re doing interesting tile. What are your counters?

Jessica Finelli thanked K R
  • M Miller
    3 years ago

From your drawing, the hood appears to be the same width as the range. For such a powerful range, your hood needs to be 6" wider than the range, i.e. it needs to be 54" wide. Furthermore, the hood will look better, more balanced and proportional for that kind of hood cabinetry surround to be 6" wider than the range. Also, the two narrow glass upper cabinets flanking the range aren't that useful, and glass fronts close to a range tend to show grease build-up from cooking. If it were me, I'd put the glass fronts on the cabinets on either side of the sink.

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really like the cambria brittanicca - possibly the brittanicca warm but haven’t received the sample yet.

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Anyone have a recommendation on a SW color For the island? Or just same white as the rest of kitchen?

• PRO
    Madcam Enterprises
    3 years ago

I agree with matching, it is hidden anyways when you're not in the kitchen and IMO would just tie in the island to the rest of the space.

I love the colors and style you have chosen though, it looks so wonderful (:

https://homesweethomestore.com

• K R
    3 years ago

Britannica warm is gorgeous in person! Go see it if you can. I would paint the island white like the rest of the kitchen.

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago

Viking has issues. I’m surprised that you are using it. Have you researched the many unhappy posts in the Appliance Forum?

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve spoken to several people who own Vikings and haven’t seen many recent posts about Viking issues. All the recent reviews I can find are positive.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Viking still has issues.

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love to hear some recent issues with Viking - I can’t find the recent negatives.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I think there are issues with just about every brand out there. You can go nuts reading negative reviews. Go with what has features you like best.

• PRO
    Greta Interiors
    3 years ago

I have to gently ask why so many are trying to cast doubt on the OP's choice of appliance brand when she has clearly made it (and some very nice choices to accompany it, BTW.) She did not post a thread asking for an opinion of the brand.

As I said, I am seeing clients splurge on colorful appliances quite often. It does seem to be the newest way to add some interest to a kitchen. Ranges are particularly sought after in bright jewel tones or vintage styles. Viking is quite popular as are some other classics like Lacanche, Wolf, Verona and newer lines like Big Chill. All are considered quality products that would elevate any kitchen above the madding crowd. Any appliance will have reviews that point out subtle differences or things an owner didn't like. None of these brands got their reputations by putting out a poorly made product.

• PRO
    Greta Interiors
    3 years ago

@JuneKnow I make it a policy not to engage in forum debates. Nothing to be gained in that! But no, I am not paid to represent any brand, nor do I steer my clients toward specific lines. With a range at this price point, many people feel lucky to even be able to fit it into their budget. Some clients like the way the range works, others want the appearance to make a statement in the kitchen and won't even use all the features. Different things work for different people.

The OP made some very nice choices and I hope she will be happy with them for many years. I am sure if she needs help doing research she can post some threads in the appropriate place.

• Caroline Hamilton
    3 years ago

I have had a Viking cooktop, double oven and microwave for 6 years now. Daily use and no issues whatsoever. I would purchase again. Good luck w your kitchen - your choices are beautiful!

• skmom
    3 years ago

What a gorgeous color on that range and I love your tile! I just wanted to chime in because 1) I have a Viking range, and 2) we used a BM color that we thought matched our range color really well. On the Viking range, our kitchen gets pretty heavy use as we are a large homeschooling family (lots of meals at home per day) with 5 kids. (Who all lived at home until the last 5 months when our 2 daughters got married and our oldest son left for college all in a 3 month time span, LOL! Yes, I had my kids all close together, 5 in 4.5 years) Anyways, we’ve had our range for about 4 years now. We did have to deal with Viking for a warranty issue when the range was first installed, but it was a minor cosmetic issue, and we had no problems or complaints in dealing with them. I’ve really had no problems with my range, the only thing I had to learn in the beginning was that both of my ovens take longer to preheat than previous ovens I’d had in the past. (I have to give them at least half an hour) On matching the color of the range... we didn’t do a custom color. My range is what Viking calls graphite grey, I went with BM Kendall Charcoal (my hubby designed, built, and painted all of our kitchen cabinetry) and most times of the day or night they look to be a really great match, but there is a time of day some days where they only look like they coordinate. It doesn’t clash or anything, but it’s not a perfect match. I figure mine is far enough away from each other at most angles of being viewed, and also my wood countertop (that my talented hubby also made!) is the main focal point of my kitchen so it’s ok that the greys aren’t exact... also, the grey isn’t a stand out color, it blends pretty well with the stainless steel I have for the rest of my appliances and I love the way the grey looks with the warm wood I have going on. Anyways, I hope that helps and to have another person say they don’t regret buying their Viking, it’s been a nice range!

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone - I am thinking maybe a pale blue island to not match but compliment the range might be easier. Anyone have any good recommendations for pale sherwin william blues with tile and stove?

• HU-932448517
    3 years ago

I would love to see the finished product! I too purchased the 48" Viking range in slate blue along with the slate blue 36" fridge only, the drawer microwave and dishwasher I stuck with stainless. I am having trouble figuring out whether to paint cabinets white (I have three children 6, 11, 13....plus husband) or keep oak bottom cabinets and white wall cabinets. I also have a large island, but not sure if that is going to stay or not.

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ohhh post pics! I ended up deciding on an all white kitchen - with a navy bar and some fun tile. Also did bar stools with navy cushions to tie it all together.

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will
    Post pics when it’s all done - not for a few months!

• HU-932448517
    3 years ago

can't wait! Mine won't be delivered for a few months

• Stephen Gardner
    3 years ago

We're also considering the slate blue range to go with graphite gray cabinets, under the counter and white above the counter. We're also considering the matching hood. Having trouble finding picture of the slate blue range with matching hood.

• Tara
    3 years ago

Pale blue would be pretty. If you're using the gold around the hood and the gold color hardware, maybe a light-ish wood tone would look good as well.

• Sarah Do
    2 years ago

Jessica I am wondering if your range came and if so how you like it? Any updates or photos Of the space?

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love it! Didn’t go for the blue island but did a navy in the bar area

• Kim T.
    2 years ago

@Jessica Finelli Beautiful kitchen! Love the wood accents, mix of blues, and hardware choices. Can you share what the two backsplash tiles are as well as your source for the pendants and lights over the sink?

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! The backsplash is from artistic tile - fan club blue ombré and the other tile is from tile bar. The source for lighting is from visual comfort.

• skmom
    2 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen!!!

• Dawn Scalia
    2 years ago

Does Navy match the slate blue? We’re purchasing the Viking oven and had considered a navy island before deciding on the slate blue oven. Now reconsidering since they’ll be right next to each other.

• Dawn Scalia
    2 years ago

Also, why don’t people put ceiling fans over islands? I really want a ceiling in the kitchen, and the only natural place for a hanging fixture is over the island. I got pushback for not wanting pendant lighting.

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The color of the stove is actually a Sherwin Williams color called “In the Navy” if you want to match.

• Rachel
    2 years ago

This is beautiful! I think the backsplash above the range really highlights this as a centerpiece and I think having color on the island would have taken away from the range. Great job!

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!

• Keshet Starr
    2 years ago

LOVE your kitchen @Jessica Finelli!! Can you share the source for the lighting?

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! Lighting is from Visual Comfort.

• Keshet Starr
    2 years ago

Thank you @Jessica Finelli!

• Desiree Burgnon
    7 months ago

I am doing the double oven to the right with a hood over range love the idea of doing the bar area in slate blue instead of island