Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Last "to cheer everyone up" rose photo for now...

jacqueline9CA
3 years ago

So, after all of the things going wrong which I listed in my previous post, yesterday the stock market crashed... I was expecting locusts, but we got that instead. Oh, well.

So, I found another rose photo I like to look at, which is below, and I hope will provide cheer in this season of amazing things. I like it because this area of our garden (which faces and is about 6 feet away from the sidewalk) has remained untouched (except for some watering and feeding of the roses, and taking out some dead wood and some English ivy) since we moved in 31 years ago. So, yes, all of these roses and other plants were there before we moved in, and have just kept on doing what they do ever since. The background plants are an old flowering crab apple tree (up which the roses are growing), and an old Japanese quince (the more reddish orange blooms on the left). The roses have been identified as Dawson's Apple Blossom (rambler with small pink clusters of blooms, what I think is Fortuniana (white), and Eugenie de Beauharnais ( dark magenta 1830 Bourbon). I love how they have all mingled together with each other and the tree and quince. They all bloom once in the Spring, but we now have 3 other plants of EdB which bloom in flushes all summer, once we moved some suckers of the original one into full sun. The one in the pic is the original one, and from where it is and from family history, it and the other two roses were planted (of course the Fortuniana might be rootstock, and thus not planted on purpose) in the 1930s or earlier. Sometimes roses make their own "garden designs", which can come out pretty well!

Jackie

Comments (11)