Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hallngarden

Shoutout to Glenda

hallngarden
3 years ago

We started our Labor Day party today with Miss Glenda ‘s chocolate cake recipe. We have an outdoor kitchen and both grands made a cake. They have made this recipe since wee babes. They took several neighbors slices and my phone is ringing off the hook for recipe from Miss Glenda. So simple and so delicious. You have made our grands very popular in neighborhood.

Comments (10)

• glenda_al
    3 years ago

Thanks. Put a smile on my face, today. Sure needed it.

hallngarden thanked glenda_al
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

I guess I NEED it now. LOL Sounds great.

hallngarden thanked Judy Good
  • glenda_al
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Put this one on your "to make" list. Made this, and DIL cannot stop raving over it. Used to make long time ago, and now it's regaining its popularity with the virus.

this is NOT the one hallngarden makes, I'm just sharing this one with her in case she wants to try it.
    Depression Cake

• 1½ cups All-purpose flour
    • ¼ cup Cocoa powder
    • 1 cup Granulated sugar
    • 1 tsp Baking soda
    • ½ tsp Salt
    • 1 tbsp White vinegar
    • 1 tsp Vanilla extract
    • 5 tbsp Vegetable oil
    • 1 cup Water
    1. In a square cake pan (Dimensions: 8x8- Ungreased), add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk everything together.
    2. Use your finger to make 2 small holes and 1 large hole in this dry flour mixture.
    3. Pour vinegar and vanilla extract in the small holes.
    4. Pour oil in the large hole.
    5. Pour water over everything.
    6. Mix everything together until just combined. Don't worry if you have some lumps. Just don't over-mix or else you will end up with a rubbery cake.
    7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until an toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

Thank you!

hallngarden thanked Judy Good
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

Thank you Glenda! I saved the recipe too ;0)

hallngarden thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • glenda_al
    3 years ago

This is the one hallngarden makes:Chocolate sour cream cake

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons baking cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sour cream
    1 egg
    Instructions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
    2.In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour batter into baking dish.
    3.Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into squares.

Top with whipped cream, frosting of choice, or dust with confectionate sugar.

• georgysmom2
    3 years ago

We called it Crazy Cake. :-)))

hallngarden thanked georgysmom2
  • lisa_fla
    3 years ago

I have a recipe for Wacky Chocolate Cake that is made in a 13 x 9. Now I’m tempted to make it! I haven’t had it in quite some time.

hallngarden thanked lisa_fla
  • sjerin
    3 years ago

Chocolate cake is my most favorite food on Earth. However, I don't dare make one as dh doesn't like it and I'd have waaay too much staring me in the face. No room in the freezer and I'd feel funny giving a partial cake to a neighbor. It sounds wonderful, Glenda.

hallngarden thanked sjerin
Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional