shirley_douds

A Full And Honest Review Of My 48" Hestan Range

Shirley Douds

A Full And Honest Review Of My Heston 48" Range. Part One

This will be a multi-part review because I am very detail oriented. I believe no detail is too small when you are spending this kind of money. I couldn't find any information about it so I took a chance and bought one. I hope this will be helpful to some people.

As far as looks are concerned it is already established that this beast is drop-dead, drool-worthy gorgeous. It comes in all stainless or a few very pretty colors, mine is deep red called "Tin Roof" and I love it. I like color and personality in my kitchen. This is our forever home so I don't care about resale vanilla. Our next home will be the nursing home. We are baby boomers so this is IT for us. Ha ha!

My range has just been installed and unfortunately my custom hood was crushed during shipment. It will take 6-8 weeks to make another one so I am currently limited on what I can do with my range due to the hood's electric wires dangling out of the wall above it. I won't be wok cooking, frying, or griddle cooking till the ventilation is installed. If you have this powerful of a range top you will need good ventilation. I have (will have) a remote roof-mounted 1,400 cfm fan, 10" duct work, a make up air system, and a hood width 3" wider than the range on each side (54" hood). Please do your homework on ventilation, there are plenty of threads about that on Houzz. Don't believe everything the sales people tell you. Be your own brain.

It is torture having this range here and not being able to use it fully. I have played with it a bit because I just can't keep my hands off it. The installer told me to heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes and then wipe it out with a damp cloth. Supposedly to prevent any "metal taste" in my food. So I did that and there was nothing to wipe out. The damp cloth was spotless. It took about 15 minutes to preheat the oven to 450. It might be less than 15 min because I had to leave the kitchen and when I returned they were already 450 F and it was just barely 15 min on my timer. For comparison the Blue Star electric wall oven I was seriously considering took 20 minutes to reach 350 degrees in the showroom.

The cooling fan that all these new electric ovens have these days was reasonably quiet. I don't mean the convection fan inside the oven. The cooling fans are separate and are needed to cool the electronics that get fried from the high heat, especially in the self-cleaning mode. I was able to have a normal conversation standing right in front of it. My husband described the fan noise as "kind of soft" and "not bad compared to the GE profile we had." For you factoids like myself, it was 62 decibels, described as equal to a quiet street. Across the island it read 55 db. (Used a free phone app from Apple) My old Roomba vacuum is too loud for comfort at 72 DB. I don't like extra noise which is why I considered the Blue Star 48" all gas--no fans needed! This fan ran for over 1 hr 15 min after the oven was turned off. Not great but a necessity with the electronics in these new fancy ovens. At least I knew what I was getting into because I called Heston and they told me honestly that the fan will run "till the oven cools." I have read about the big new Thermadors being unbearably loud, and Blue Star as being quite loud. My GE profile was horrible. I would leave the door open and let all the heat out at once so the fan would go off. Not good for the electronics but I knew I was getting rid of it so I didn't care. I don't think the noise will bother me because our breakfast nook is not really close to it and the dining room is completely separate. It turned off at about 200 F. The handles remained cool. I got brave and held my hand against the glass door on both ovens. No problem. The small oven door was very warm but not burning. The large oven was barely warm. It seems to be more insulated. Only the large oven has self clean so maybe that is why. I feel confident that pets and small children would be safe with these temperatures. Today I baked an eggplant parmigiana in the small oven and it was yummy!

What I don't like so far: There is a place on the big oven handle that feels quite rough. I think it should have been buffed out. The small oven handle has something loose in there that tinkles when I open and shut the oven door. The big oven racks glide out nicely but are so rough that they catch on my microfiber cloth like crazy and I don't think this is normal. I will contact Heston and give them a chance to respond. I hear they are very responsive to customers. Will let you know. Part two to follow soon.