rosecanadian

More rose pictures...join me!

rosecanadian

Hey Everyone,

Here are my latest rose pictures...not many....but I've got some flushes coming up if the weather cooperates:

Luci Di Todi - really bad leaves...but it's new, and I'm hoping for better next year. The red is really RED...this picture doesn't do it justice.

Julia Child

Dolly Parton - cruddy leaves again.

Queen of Elegance....really weak necks...hoping for better next year. Potassium didn't even help.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Mas, your cups in the tub method looks great! It might work for me in the winter here. That method would definitely cook cuttings our summers with 90-100 degree days. I really want to find a method that works here without much fussing and misting. I am also going to try just sticking some cuttings in the ground outside, once our rainy season starts, usually end of November. Did you mention if you use a rooting hormone?

rosecanadian thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

B, I hear you about Westerland's shortcomings. I bought two, and one died it's first winter, but the remaining one has lasted many years with minimal cane loss during winter. The only reason I don't replace her is that I don't need her spot just yet.

Jude is my love-hate relationship rose. Austins generally require more water than other roses, but Jude is ridiculous with his water needs. One reason I keep him is the fragrance. There's nothing else like it that I know of.

Stephanie, the ONLY way I have ever had success rooting cuttings is doing exactly what you're going to do - just sticking them in the ground. Good luck. I know it can work.

rosecanadian thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

What kind of rose bushes are these?

They are overgrown and need to be hard pruned in the late winter, early spring. If possible cut the canes back to about 1 foot from the ground. Leave a few leaves on the plant. If you wait too long, until mid May it won't be helpful. Roses require a lot of attention, especially tea roses. Cutting back will make a more compact plant.

How can I make my Plain Jane garden shed more cute?

Thank you for everyone's comments here. I'm afraid that even after *six years* my shed is still a work in progress. I did manage to plant a bunch of hostas around the shady back side of the shed a few years ago, as well as a peony at the corner, and they don't look too bad. And I had great plans for the front side, with beautiful climbing roses growing up the trellises on either side and flowers in the beds -- but I could never get a rose to survive on the left side of the door for some reason, despite three tries, and then weeds took over. I cleared the two beds last year and meant to plant them up again this year -- but the coronavirus hit and I never managed to do that either. :-( But thank you for reminding me that I still have an opportunity to improve this area of my gardens -- I've become preoccupied with areas that are closer to my house, which are easier to remember. I'll definitely re-plant the beds by the door next spring with snapdragons and petunias, which grow well here, and maybe some dahlias, and add some clematis for the trellises. I hope to be able to post a further update next summer. Thanks again!

Need more ideas!

Try some curtains with tie backs to soften the windows and also lamps to add softer lighting. Also you have a lot of mid-height space so perhaps a mobile. You could add some purples as an alternative to just pink. A day bed is also a good option in a babies room.

rose Identification

He's a well familiar sight in spring in the northern parts of the country. Tender hybrid teas don't survive the winters, but the rootstock does. There are a gazillion pics on Helpmefind that show him.
  • rosecanadian

Mas - so true!! I love your mom's method! I would never have thought of doing that! :)

B cs - my goodness....you think like Straw does!!! And that's a compliment!! :)

Sultry - what a great idea to put lily pads in to help the tadpoles. They are so cute! A little weird...but cute. :)

Flowers - so funny...you refuse to buy her a hot tub. LOL

• B _zone5b

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA - Great to know about Jude. I never really considered rose fragrance to be something other than your typical store bought roses. @strawchicago asked about my Jubilee Celebration scent this summer, and now I can't help but smell every rose that blooms for me. They can be really intense and fresh. Interesting about your Westerlands too, I'm curious to see what survives my winters here. If the canes on mine don't survive, I'll probably replace it with a rose that has more petals and more unique color. I like how tropical it looks....but the color has to catch me in the right mood since it's so bold.

@rosecanadian - Hah thank you! I think I first got hooked on this forum when I was trying to research rose growing last winter/spring and found all of Straw's info so interesting and helpful. There are a lot of plants I just stick in the ground and walk away from, but for the ones with unbeatable flowers, I try to figure out what conditions they'll thrive under so I can get the most out of them. I'm also still new to gardening so it's fun to experiment. I was about to give up on my indoor plants until I started reading more about their conditions and figured out what makes them happy after a lot of experiments.

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Bliss parfuma

Crimson Glory is loaded with buds. I sure hope that I get to see them all bloom

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • rosecanadian

B cs - so you're like a protege for Straw!! I'm really impressed with how you've taken to experimenting!! I start out thinking...I'm going to do an experiment with this...but I never take notes, and I don't follow through. LOL I'm like multiflora roots...I have to be spoon fed information. LOL

Kristine - Ohhhhh!!!! Your BP bloom is wonderful...soooo worth clicking for a better look. And your CG...that may be the prettiest bloom of it I've ever seen!!! Oh my!!!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Coming in from picking up a prescription yesterday afternoon and I had to drop all of my purchases to get this picture of Frida Kahlo

She is a pretty girl

• B _zone5b

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Beautiful blooms. Bliss Parfuma looks like origami and that color of your crimson is beautiful.

@rosecanadian -I wish I could say I'm half as knowledgeable as Straw! :) I've always liked experimenting with my plants when I have free time. Usually only my indoor plants since a lot of them are strange, hard to grow types. One of my favorites is opening it's flowers today actually. Here is a photo (rainy out so bad light). Third pic is older shot from a year or two ago, where I overexposed the light to show flowers more clearly. Tricky plant but think I've figured him out for now after a lot of experimenting. Added a picture of Claire Austin from yesterday too...starting to like her flowers more now that they're bigger and more globular-

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

The last of my blooms!!

rosecanadian thanked CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
  • B _zone5b

Beautiful @CeresMer Zone 7a NJ ! What is that apricot/tangerine rose in your second photo? All of them are great looking

• Diane Brakefield

Ceres, what a luscious bunch of blooms, and so sad it's the last of your roses. Can you tell us their names? Your post reminds me I have to get out in a couple of hours and cut, cut, cut my beloved rose blooms. Our first frost is tonight, and it continues all week with some really stinky lows. I have some big flushes to decimate and will probably run out of vases. I've been depressed about this for the last two days, especially about cutting the Augusta Luise flush with all those buds going to frost. I have never seen such enormous blooms as on AL and Love Song, another I have to wipe out. This is so painful. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Ceres, the lighting and closeup of your first picture is so lovely. All these soft pink and soft yellows are making me even more anxious for spring so I can plant more of each.

Diane, I feel your pain. All these buds that won't open would have been a bigger flush than the one in spring. I will bring the half opened AL buds in, but the others are too tight to open in a vase.

B, love your Claire Austin, one I would like to grow. Your other plant is interesting, and my brother would love it. He grows unusual things like that.

Kristine, I would have dropped everything too, to get that pic of Frida. Love how roses change so dramatically for fall.

• B _zone5b

Here are some more flowers after a bit of rain.

Cream Veranda, aged flowers still look pretty nice. They have better color this round and kind of look like mini hibiscus flowers as the petals fall

Olivia Austin - I like this rose, will be interesting to see how big she gets. This is the boldest color she's ever been, usually there's more of a white gradient halo on the outer petals.

Imogen - blooming a lot, trying to convince me to keep it. Wish the flowers lasted longer on plant-

Carding Mill - Never stops blooming. David Austin needs to put whatever is in this plant into all his roses. I don't think any of my 3 bushes have been without buds/flowers since May. Might need to plant a whole field of these as some point.

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA - Thanks about Claire Austin - I have 3 and I think they heard me scolding my 2 Imogen's for being slow repeaters and too quick to drop their petals. They're trying to convince me with bigger globular blooms (maybe they saw my google search history for globular roses the other day). Still on the fence with her ;)

Your brother might like that plant if he likes strange ones. It's called Cubiformis. Looks like a little bread loaf most of the year and then shoots out those crazy fuzzy pink flowers. The flowers are really something in person, because the plant itself is so small. The scent is rotting meat though (to attract flies for pollination) which is the one thing I don't love about it. My dogs sure love it though!

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

B, I'll pass along the name of your plant to my brother. He has some beautiful roses but he'd rather grow unusual plants. Some are so slow growing, I wouldn't have the patience for it. That doesn't look like one you'd pick up at your local big box store. You must have a mail order source for specialty plants.

Your Olivia is blushing! So pretty. They're all pretty. Love the deep color on Cream Veranda.

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

@Diane Brakefield the peach one is Pearly gates, she lasts forever in a vase, her first flush was really good but very little after. She might need more food 🤣. On the other vase: lady gardener (love), bolero & Mary Rose, lovely scent but lasts a day on the vase if that.

I grow roses to cut, I love having them in the house!

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

@B _zone5b is pearly gatés! really nice climber, huge roses, specially on the spring flush!

• rosecanadian

Kristine - I can see why you were in such a hurry to take that picture!!! Lovely coloring and shape!! Aren't we so lucky to love roses so much!!!

B cs - what an unusual plant!! At first glance it looks like a rock...then like dinosaur skin...and the flower is so ancient looking! What plant is it? Oh, I just read your answer...and it smells like rotting meat!!! LOL...is that only when it flowers? Man, I love your Cream Veranda!! You really are an ambassador for Carding Mill....lovely!

Ceres - what a lovely group of flowers!!! I'm assuming the ones on the left are Evelyns? Man, beautiful!!! We have enough snow to shovel...so I'm done with pictures. LOL

Diane - it DOES hurt to cut those beautiful buds!! I even talk to them in my head..."sorry this has to hurt...but it's for the best. It'll help you to live through the winter" as I cut off the leaves and lightly cut back some canes. This is the only time of year that I do that. Weird. LOL It would have been wonderful to see another flush of your AL and LS!!! It's going down to -16C/3F overnight tomorrow night. Don may shovel the snow on the weekend after it snows on Friday. It's winter! That's for sure.

Flowers - you have lots of buds that won't open too. So sad, this time of year.

• B _zone5b

Rosecanadian - It does look like a little dinosaur toe or something hah :) The smell is only when it's flowering. It's part of the asclepiad family, so all of their flowers have that smell for flies to pollinate them in the deserts where they grow. I had one variety last summer that grew 15 inch flowers, it was amazing but the smell was too much even outside. I don't think I've ever seen so many flies before. I love Carding Mill! I wish all the roses flowered as much as them. Still a tie between Jubilee Celebration and CM....I like JC flowers better but CM seems to flower the most and can hold his blooms up so far.

• rosecanadian

B - 15 inch flowers!!!! Oh man, I would have loved to have seen the flies trying to find the rotten flesh.

To me, flowers that can hold their heads up are important...so that's why I would choose Carding Mill. :)

• RaeAnna

15 inch flowers 😱

• B _zone5b

@rosecanadian @RaeAnna - they were giant flowers, but not as beautiful as roses. They may have been even more than 15 inches. I'm looking for pictures with my hand but can't find them yet but here is one of the flowers. It's called Stapelia Gigantea. Was in a very wide 30 inch bowl/pot. Giant, starfish flowers covered in fur and little stripes. It took a few years (and too much love from me) for this plant to finally flower. Luckily it had 3 or 4 flowers that summer outside and then the plant finally rotted and died. I don't miss it, but I'm happy I was able to see the flowers after reading about them for so long online. My favorite of this family of plants is Rhytidocaulon (pics 2 and 3). The plant itself looks like a small dead tree without leaves, just branches. Then the dark gray branches are filled with these tiny colorful striped/furry flowers that I love. Because they're so small, the smell isn't noticeable. These plants love when their soil temp is 80F or above.

Sorry to hijack this thread! Back to roses -Below the smelly succulents are my Jubilee Celebration yesterday and Life of the Party starting to open.

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • B _zone5b

Here is Life of the party this morning, blushed overnight.

Also my Cream Veranda is getting big and full. Anyone know what this spotted bug is? I see them on the roses a lot but can’t figure out.

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • RaeAnna

Don’t know but he’s cute lol and your roses are divine. Love how the colours vary on the plant (LOTP)

rosecanadian thanked RaeAnna
  • CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

@B _zone5b pretty sure that bug eats roses. I just can’t remember the name but I saw it somewhere. Not a friendly one 😫

• B _zone5b

Thanks RaeAnna :) LOTP changes a lot which I always like in a plant, keeps things interesting. The flowers seem more cupped on this new cane too.

Ceres - ah ok. I thought that’s probably why there are little holes on the flower petals. I’ll have to wait and see if anything eats him

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

What a perfect rose

Veterans honor

My poor Double Delight

It is in a pretty good location in the summer but now it is noon and it is still in the shade

It is looking mildewy and sad

Good thing that we are going in to winter but I better give her a nice heap of compost

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

B, your yellow spotted bug is a cucumber beetle - not your friend. They look a lot like the yellow lady bugs - red or yellow, they're beneficial. The cucumber beetle has a 'neck' and the lady bug doesn't, so the cucumber beetle has a little longer body.

Your plant that smells like rotting meat reminded me that my parents had a friend who grew an Amorphophallus Titanium (also called corpse plant because it stinks), that blooms every 40 years. My dad got me out of bed to go to their house to witness this thing. I just remember being sleepy and embarrassed I was in my nitie. The flower was huge but not pretty enough to get out of bed for. It must have been a horribly foul smell, because the owners told everyone not to get too close. It had a room all it's own. There were other plants, but this plant was definitely the centerpiece.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Kristine, Do you have climbing version of Crimson Glory? Just wondering what it’s growth habit is like. I have the climbing version that I am planting out in the garden this week.

• MasLovesRoses_z6a

I’ve been seeing more cucumber beetles in a lot of the roses I’ve seen lately even at the plant nursery.

rosecanadian thanked MasLovesRoses_z6a
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Stephanie, I have the bush version but I bet that the climber will be glorious

• rosecanadian

B - utterly cool!!!! I love your last two pictures...especially the 2nd to last one with the green flowers. Are those epiphytes or do they actually belong to the plant? So cool!!! And all of those flies around your gigantica!!! And your JC picture...the sky is so blue and the rose is so pink...looks almost fake with those fabuluous colors!!! Beautiful!! I wish I could smell your beautiful LotP!!

Kristine - what a great shot of your VH!! Beautiful!!! You saw an Amorphophallus Titanium in bloom!!! I've seen one when it was blooming in Edmonton in the Muttart Conservatory. Pretty cool. I couldn't remember the name at all.

• B _zone5b

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA - Thanks for the info on cucumber beetles. I noticed I didn't have many ladybugs this summer, but for some reason this past week there are hundreds all over my windows and house. Hopefully they stick around for next spring/summer to protect the roses.

The corpse plant is one of my dream plants. Flower doesn't look that pretty in person like you said, but I love it because it looks alien and reminds me that plants/flowers aren't only what we're used to seeing. If I saw one in the wild, I think I would actually be nervous. Maybe I've watched Aliens too many times! ;) Corpse flowers make me think of Audrey Junior, the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" that they grow inside a bedroom.

@rosecanadian - That pic of JC had high exposure because I had to sit underneath it to get the actual flowers in view hah. It was a beautiful sunny day the other day after lots of rain though. The sun really makes her flowers glow but I really hope she develops more strong necks/stems.

-The succulent flowers belong to the plant in those pics. I love them so much, they are the "ugliest" looking plants without flowers. My friends actually think they're dead twigs in pots without flowers (or asparagus as some call them). But then they get covered with those amazing little starfish with amazing stripes, colors and fur. Very difficult to grow though, one drop of too much water and they're goners. I grow them in pure grit, no soil ever. The striped varieties are a bit harder to find.

Here's a link for more pictures.

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Carol, that wasn't me who saw the :Corpse " flower in bloom

All I see is dirty diapers and cartoons. Someone save me lol

• B _zone5b

Bathsheba a couple days later after fading

Carding Mill

New Dawn - I like the flowers most at this stage. Once open they lose form quickly

Praying mantis sunning on my Westerland

My new puppy chasing bumblebees

• rosecanadian

Brendan - I googled rhytidocaulon, and they grow in Saudi Arabia! Sounds like they need a lot of minerals. Also sound way too hard to grow. LOL You're doing a great job!! I got the pictures mixed up, and I enlarged the puppy picture and stared and stared trying to find the praying mantis. Then I gave up, and there it was in the picture right above. LOL Your puppy has a bit of the wrinkly Shar Pei face...so sweet!!! I love your Bathsheba...incredible!!!

Kristine - so funny!!! :)

• B _zone5b

@rosecanadian - I looooove rhytidocaulon. I became a little obsessed colllecting them a couple of years ago hah. I had just never seen a plant like it before. I love imagining a field of them or maybe a "living fence" of them like you can do with willow branches. Would look like small leafless tree branches that get covered in those beautiful striped glowing star flowers in the summer heat.

Hah, my shar pei can't seem to find praying mantis yet either, luckily. Just chases the bees and butterflies like crazy :) She's a sweet girl, seems to like sniffing (and licking) any roses that bloom low to the ground too. Thanks on my Bathsheba...I'm curious how it will winterize and how the flowers will look as the plant matures. Lots of different colors so far, but always pretty.

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland

Hey B I’ve had Bathsheba for a couple years, does just fine over winter 😀

rosecanadian thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • rosecanadian

Brendon - what??? Someone from this forum being obsessed??? LOL Man, you paint a cool picture!!! My one dog is terrified of bees in the grass. I was stung once on my foot (barefoot since my dogs don't eliminate on the grass) and I think he was too...cause sometimes he'll jump up straight in the air and look at the grass nervously.

• B _zone5b

@Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland - Great to hear, I like Bathsheba. Any pics of how yours is looking after a couple of years?

@rosecanadian - Hah my rhytidocaulon obsession has moved onto roses. I'm actually happy to be trying more things outdoors since I was so focused on collecting indoor plants and was intimidated by things like roses. Feeling a little braver to try more in my yard, especially after so much free time this past summer with covid. Also there's less frustration growing outdoors for me. If something doesn't survive, I don't feel as responsible and out it comes.

Sorry about the bees! I'm waiting for the pup to get stung and learn. Can only scold her so much. I watch her eat wasps and wonder how it isn't bothering her. They sting me every summer.

rosecanadian thanked B _zone5b
  • rosecanadian

B - well, it's strange...we have wasps...but only around the roses...they're so busy eating aphids, etc. that they NEVER bother us. I really like them. :) Yeah...how in the world does your pup not get stung when she eats them???

I'm just the opposite of you...I've been gardening outside...and have just started gardening inside...streptocarpus. I have about 14 and just ordered 14 more...addictive personality??? No...not me! :)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

Holy moly

Veterans honor in vase 2 weeks

• haku84_zone9
    yesterday

Blossomtime

rosecanadian thanked haku84_zone9
  • haku84_zone9
    yesterday

Young Lycidas

rosecanadian thanked haku84_zone9
  • haku84_zone9
    yesterday

Yves Piaget

rosecanadian thanked haku84_zone9
  • haku84_zone9
    yesterday

Royal Jubilee

rosecanadian thanked haku84_zone9
  • rosecanadian
    yesterday

Kristine - your VH petals are so smooth and uniformly saturated...really cool effect!!!

Haku - great pictures...my faves are Royal Jubilee and the sumptuous Yves Piaget!!!! Oh my!!!

• MasLovesRoses_z6a
    yesterday

Kristine, what a gorgeous rose! Can’t believe she has lasted that much in the vase. Are you changing the water every day? Adding cut flowers food?

Haiku, beautiful roses!! I can’t pick one I like best! Gorgeous!!

• B _zone5b
    yesterday

@rosecanadian - She is a tough girl, so I feel like she's probably been stung but doesn't mind it somehow. I love the look of the streptocarpus, especially the polka dot kind of patterns on some of them. Beautiful, good luck growing indoors. I love having plants inside to look at and appreciate over winter. The snow arrived this morning....and so it begins.

• haku84_zone9
    yesterday

Thank you Rosecanadian and Masloveroses, its been a rough summer with chili thrips and our record breaking temps. We finally got cool weather and these beauties popped up. Though a surprise work horse through the summer was James Austin Rose, pumped blooms out but they were attacked by the chili thrips.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
    21 minutes ago

@B _zone5b I need a love button for your succulent photos! 🥰😍