b_csz5

Anyone growing Victorian Memory/Isabella Skinner or Champagne Arches?

B _zone5b

Matt at High Country recommended them to me, and I'd love to hear how they grow for people in cold zones, they look beautiful.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I am growing Isabella Skinner on an arbor. She grew about 3' her first season, then stopped. This is her second year. I'm not sure why she decided she only wants to be 3' tall. She is next to a bramble of overgrown rugosas that could be depleting the soil, so I am in the process of removing most of those. They've gotten huge and suckered all over the place.

Climbers often need a few years to establish their root system before they get showy above ground. My Isabella has only bloomed a handful of times and I don't have a pic. I'm sure others here have her. I'm not familiar with Champagne Arches.

B _zone5b thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • rosecanadian

Sheila - that IS a lovely color and a really lovely petal conformation!! :)

• B _zone5b

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR That's beautiful Sheila, I like the color a lot. Very tropical and reminds me of a bougainvilleas I grow :) Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to try growing one. I also love your view and those tall cyprus looking trees near your house. What is blanketing your pergola? Looks amazing and so peaceful there

• B _zone5b

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA Thanks for this info. I don't mind waiting a few years with growing. I learned that with my first try at gardening, my first perennial beds looked so bare for the first couple of years, and now is spilling out everywhere, it's great. Thanks again

• oursteelers 8B PNW

After seeing Sheila’s pics I bought two Victorian Memory from HCR, one for my house and one for my son‘s house to put on the arch I gave him for his birthday.

Mine is going on my Rose Tunnel and just went into the ground last week. It did absolutely nothing this summer as it waited for its permanent home. I’m willing to bet it will take a full three years in my alkaline clay before she really does something.

His didn‘t do much until the last couple of weeks and now you can see her starting to settle in. I would be shocked if his didn’t really take off in spring.

B _zone5b thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • B _zone5b

Oursteelers, hopefully they grow well for you. I think Matt mentioned that both of these 2 plants would take a while to start growing a decent size, but then they'd flower a lot and get/stay big. They both look unique which I like, interesting foliage and flowers. Great that they're cold hardy too. I'm going to try and give them a shot at some point. Will be interesting to see how all of yours grow too since Flowers and I are lower zones than you and Sheila.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

B, that pergola has Lady Banks lutea (yellow) and Cooke's Special wisteria on it and is very peaceful. You are right, the VM color does stand out well like bougainvilleas.

B _zone5b thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • B _zone5b

Sheila, that combination on your pergola sounds great, it all looks beautiful and peaceful there. I'll try to remember to check in next season about VM, hope it grows well for you