Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_413696014

Tree identifier and how to get rid of these little plants

Kim
3 years ago

I have a tree in my front yard that I have no idea what it is for starters, but it keeps growing these weed like plants around the base. These little suckers are hard to pull up too. I usually just trim them, but of course they come back because I can’t pull it up with the roots. These little plants were here before we put the mulch down, but they keep coming back. I thought they might be associated with crepe myrtles, but I don’t have any of those planted. The neighbors do, but not me. What kind of tree is this? And are these just weeds?

Comments (6)

• carol23_gw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago
  • Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That might be what the tree is. It definitely blooms white in the spring. in the fall the leaves drop off, but not completely. I’ve only lived here for a year so I haven’t seen the seeds grow or really fall off either. Birds definitely like that tree though.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Callery pears are notorious for producing root suckers. They can also self seed as well. Both are part of the reason they are considered such a nuisance tree.

Removal of the tree would solve the problem. And many would encourage that course of action. If the tree remains, removal of the suckers as soon as they appear will be a regular part of your garden maintenance. Use pruners rather than trying to pull and cut them off as close to their source as possible.....sometimes this will require being below the soil surface.

There is also a product you can buy that is intended just for this purpose. It is called Sucker Stopper and is a synthetic plant growth hormone. It is used extensively in commercial orchards but I have no personal experience with it and have no idea how well it works.

• Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awesome! Thank you for the help. I knew it was some kind of sucker. I didn’t realize this tree caused these to appear. I personally don’t care for the tree and would have preferred a crape myrtle, but we weren’t fortune to have one of those planted in our yard when we bought the house. The majority of the neighborhood has beautiful full grown crape myrtles. I would love to remove the tree and replace it, but at this time it just isn’t worth the hassle. I will just have to continue cutting these suckers and look into this sucker stopper product. The tree literally is a waste when it blooms though. It barely last in the spring one it blooms and when the fall comes it drops a ton of unwanted leaves.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Suckers always come from an existing tree or shrub. Since your tree is established you can remove the bricks and bark, mow the suckers off when you mow the grass. This will become feasible once you have cut any existing, taller and more woody suckers off, made it so that all you have when you start mowing is young soft ones.

You should also be able to just mow through the fallen leaves each autumn, help them break down and melt into the lawn. Which looks like it could use any such soil improvement doing so might confer.

Of course, you don't want to leave mats of fallen leaves sitting on the grass and shading it out. But it would seem well timed, consistent mowing could make short work of the small amount of small leaves dropped by a not very big pear tree.

• Kim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We used to mow over them until we put the bed around the tree. Our intentions were to keep plants there, but the suckers started to take over my plants and weeding that bed became overwhelming for my pregnant self to maintain it. that’s why the one sucker is out of control because I just can’t get down to really cut them.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor