nomie_florent

Not sure where to put my FLF Fiddle Leaf Fig

Noémie Florent
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

On my Drawer dresser.

In front of the window.

On this tall drawer dresser.

I bought this small FLF but I live in a basement condo with 9feet ceilings so placing the plant next to a window is sort of impossible.

Now I have be moving my plant left to right to find the best place for it and I’m lost.

Help!

See in pictures my only three options.

Comments (22)

• HereforthePlants
    3 years ago

Do you get direct sunlight through the window? Fiddle Leaf Figs do best with bright but indirect light. I'd suggest the windowsill if you don't get direct sunlight, and the top of the tall dresser by the window if you do. You want it to be in the brightest location possible without frying. Good luck!

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! My FLF might of gotten way too much direct sun. I will try the tall dresser. She’s been having brown spotting on edges and I’m a little concerned

• Dave
    3 years ago

Brown spots aren’t due to sun but due to overwatering.

saying ficus don’t like direct sun is just disinformation. All Ficus prefer and will do best with as much sun as you can give them. By the way, sunlight through glass is filtered by glass and not actually direct.

place the plant where you had it in the second photo.

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dave I mesured the moisture with the moisture meter and it was below 4, so definitely dry.

I added one cup of water and one pump of fertilizer. Hopefully it does the trick.

I moved it and took a picture (it’s 7am here so the sun if just starting to come up.

Can you tell me if it looks ok?

• socks
    3 years ago

Could you raise it up on something stable like a few books? It needs to be higher to get maximum light.

When you water, water thoroughly until it comes out the drain hole. Skip the fertilizer for now.

• HereforthePlants
    3 years ago

@Dave, I’m sorry to disagree. Depending on what part of the world Noémie lives in, hot sunlight (even filtered through glass) can most certainly cause leaf burn on a fiddle leaf fig. Of course, this is all dependent on location. Please try to understand we are all here trying to do our best to help.

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok I’ve responded over 20 times and it never sends -_-

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@socks Lets try this one last time.

I put back the plant in front of the window as I was worried that it wouldn’t get enough light where it is (I live in Canada, Ottawa).

My pot does have a draining hole but water never comes out even though the moisture meter shows 10. Could it be due to the rocks I added to the bottom?

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• socks
    3 years ago

I like it better in front of the window but could burn. If it gets hours of direct sun through the window it could be too much so keep an eye on it.

As for watering, the water should drain out the bottom, and I'm not sure why it would not. Although it is often recommended to put rocks in the bottom of a pot, many recommend against it. I suppose it could be your mix that is retaining so much water. Is it the same mix it was in when you got it from the nursery? If you repotted it, what mix did you use?

It's a handsome plant, so good for you for taking care of it. If you ever want to get a second plant for the top of the dresser, a sanseveria (snake plant) tolerates lower light.

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@socks I put down the blinds as the window does get at least 6 hours of light. For the potting mix I have no clue if its the same as the nursery one (note that I did not remove the soil from the nursery pot and re-poted it by adding new soil) I took the Miracle Go - Moisture control potting mix

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• socks
    3 years ago

I think that potting mix is holding too much water. Some people have said they do not like that mix. I've never used it though. If you repot, choose a different mix or brand. Be very careful not to overwater. Many people here do not like the water meters but prefer to use a wooden skewer inserted into the mix for a period of time, if it's damp when pulled out, then don't water yet.

• Dave
    3 years ago

Sunlight through a window will only scorch a leaf if said leaf came out in a very low light environment. Most of these are grown in south Florida under shade cloth.

sun shining through a window will not burn a leaf on a ficus. The only thing you ever need to worry about is heat build up. If you even have the slightest bit of air circulation that won’t be an issue.

mosture meters are notoriously faulty. They don’t even actually measure mosture in the soil.

MG moisture control soil isn’t a good choice. It holds onto moisture far too long. That’s likely the culprit for the browning of the leaves. That, and if you’re not thoroughly flushing the soil with each watering, you can have salt build ups from fertilizer.

these plants grow best outdoor under direct sun. Inside a window with the blinds down won’t yield good long term results.

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dave Thanks for your coment.

The soil I chose was recomended online. Do you have another one to suggest? Wouldn’t repoting affect the plant?

I live in Canada where we have winters so outside is not a solution.

is your recommendation is to leave it in front of the window or on the tall dresser?

I just watered my plant after a week, no water came out the hole. Should I let it completely dry before I water it again?

I don’t want to overwater it. I would normal do 1 cup every week my plant is maybe 9-10 inch .

What do mean by thoroughly flushing the soul with each wathering?

• socks
    3 years ago

Dave means that you run water on the plants potting mix until it comes out of the bottom. We don’t know what pottingare available in your area. If you are willing to re-pot or you might check at your local nursery, not a big box type place.

• Dave
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I wasn’t recommending you place the plant outside in Canada at this point in the year (next summer you should) I was trying to give an example of how much light they like. Give them as much indoor light as you possibly can. Don’t put them away from a window or close the blinds. Anyone who says these plants can’t take sun shining through a window is spreading the same misinformation that confuses everyone.

Moisture control potting mix really is a terrible thing. It’s sad that it’s pushed online becsuse anyone who doesn’t know any better will likely think it’s a good choice. It holds onto water far too long.

your watering methods are a cause for concern too. Watering on a weekly schedule and not as the plant actually needs it is a recipe for disaster and root rot. You need to fully water over the sink so water is draining out of the holes in the pot each time you water. Sadly, the soil you have the plant in won’t allow you to do that.

I’m guessing you didn’t repot the plant but potted up? Repotting removes all soil from in and around roots and places the plant in fresh soil. Potting up places the root mass with soil and roots intact in a larger pot with only fresh soil on the bottom and sides. If the latter is what you did, I’d take it out of the new pot, remove the new soil and simply stick it back in the ordiginsl pot until about next June.

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is what I did. So to save the FLF what would suggest me doing?

As for the soil I was advised to take the one I took. Im a very visual person and I’m wondering if you could help me find the proper soil for it.

All your help is appreciated!

• Dave
    3 years ago

Is that how you potted the plant? Putting it lower and burying the top with extra soil?

if so, that’s not good. Roots need oxogen too. When you bury them lower you’re depriving them. You’re also ensuring things will never dry out. That’s unfortunately one of the worst how-tos I’ve seen. I’m sorry that’s even out there.

• Noémie Florent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No I didnt burry it