gingerrg

I can't solve living room dilemma. Please help!

gingerrg

I live in a small rambler with a long narrow living room. I recently purchased all new furniture (first mistake: all from the same store - and I knew better!!!).

Now I'm having trouble making it fit. But my biggest problem is adding some personality. I have lost all confidence in my own opinion. So, I'm asking for help with:

Ways to add personality and interest

Anything I should get rid of or add (I'd love a bookcase!)

Where to put the TV

General layout

Something for that long wall to the left of the entrance

I want my home to be lovely, comfortable, and clean-looking.

I am not a knick-knacks sort of person but I do want our home to feel like us,, and not look generic like it does now.

I know I have to move artwork around. Haven't tackled that yet

Door to the left is front entry. Door on the right is hallway to bedrooms

We have a living/dining room combo, in an Lshape. Dining room is immediately to the left

• gingerrg

Theresa, I think I like just a single vase better. The length between the left edge of picture frame and end of mantle is only 16". So it really is a small space to fill. Plus given that I'm not all that into accessories (at least historically), it seems simplest. But I will keep an eye out for a trio - you never know!

• Theresa Janssen

perfect, sounds good.

Please help with living room wall dilemma!

Hang a painting to the left of the offset. Hang another painting to the right of the offset. Make sure the paintings compliment each other. Place a bottle of Dry Fly Vodka and two shot glasses on one of the coffee tables. If anyone mentions the offset, give them a shot of vodka. Keep giving them shots until they stop mentioning the offset. It's not a big thing.

Please help with my color dilemma in my living room.

For a quick idea of how the brown will look go to a discount store and buy two king size sheets in a dark color preferably brown but black would work in a pinch. Just be sure they are the same intensity as the new sofa. throw them over the current sofas and you will see what you are dealing with. The reason I suggest this is that I wonder if your room is really as dark as it came out in the photo.

5yrs later and still can't design this living room (help please)

No response? I guess this really is complicated.

Living room design dilemma please help

Thanks for the extra pictures. It's as I suspected: you have a great big room and you've pushed everything to the walls. Unless there's a need to keep the center open so the dogs can roller skate, I suggest we try to close the gap. Pull the sofa totally out of the corner all the way up to the rug. Put the white chair at the corner of the sofa facing the window, and the butterfly chair at the end of the chaise, angled to face the corner between sofa and white chair. Put one dog crate behind the sofa and the other in the corner formed by sofa and chair. Center TV and console between window and wall; try the cat tree in the corner between the windows, or behind the sofa so the cats can climb up and jump down on your head. (Trust me; they'll think it's great fun!)
  • lisalane
    yesterday

Following along!

Idea for vase on mantel. And thought these birds were cute for somewhere so I grabbed them as well.

Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Here is scale sketch for mantel.

Flo Mangan
    yesterday

3-4” votives in light green glass. 4” between top of mantel and bottom of art (each square=1 sq. Ft. ). The “side view” shows why you need flat style vase. 5” mantel depth is driving that size. Vase can be 12-14” tall depending on shape. A narrow neck vase holds stems in place best. The stems can overlap art and look wispy so you “see thru” them.

• gingerrg
    yesterday

lisalane, it's great to hear from you. I love that hammered gold - and the tall one even fits on my mantle. So far, I've only found 2 that I like (I'm going to post them later today).

Thanks, Flo, for the sketch. It is exactly right - I was hoping I was clear enough with my explanations. That should make shopping much easier.

• gingerrg
    17 hours ago

I've been busy online. Here's my favorite ottoman so far (although I'm worried it's too much blue):

It is 18" wide. I think I only need one. The herringbone on sides is just like my sofa, only different color!

So far, I've only ordered (and received) these pillows. I think I desperately need a third color to tie those together. But have no idea what that would be.

Flo Mangan
    16 hours ago

The mix of blues and blue greens are a bit off to me. Need to pick more dark blues and fewer greens to my eye.

Flo Mangan
    16 hours ago

Could you put the geometric in your blue chair so I can see that color combo. I hate to say it, but that ottoman is not going to work. You need simple on that piece. Art and pillows and accessories will do the rest. Sorry. I know you are trying hard. But I wouldn't be fair to you if I didn't point these details out.

• gingerrg
    16 hours ago

Ok, Flo. The colors are slightly off: fringed one is a deep peacock blue which looks so pretty on sofa (but doesn't match anything). Other one is more like bright navy, it is darker blue.

I'm happy to get any color, but am worrying the room is all blue.

What did you think of ottoman?

• gingerrg
    16 hours ago

Here it is, Flo:

Thank you for saving me from all kind of mistakes! I promise I will never get my feelings hurt - it is so obvious you are trying to help, and I appreciate it more than I can say.

• Theresa Janssen
    16 hours ago

wondering if both pillows can work but further away from each other? try geometric on blue chair and keep peacock on sofa and take picture further out so more of the room can be in picture? agree that the pillows you choose all need to work together, i still think 3 different ones, not just 2.

• gingerrg
    16 hours ago

I know you're trying to help, but I don't want that big pillow on my navy chair, Theresa. It may be perfect, but it's not livable (I am in and out of that chair all the time).

I am completely happy to send one or both pillows back. I was just hoping to make progress. Although that peacock pillow is so beautiful, if I can buy 2 other pillows to make it work in my room, I would be ecstatic!

What about this vase? It's off the wall for me (I started by looking for handblown glass) but I do like it. It is 13-1/2 "high, 9-1/2" across the bottom and 3" wide (fits my 5 " mantle).

Also, I ordered the hammered gold vase from WestElm.

• gingerrg
    16 hours ago

Flo Mangan
    16 hours ago

I commented on ottoman above. Sorry it doesn’t work. I am going to look for pillow ideas for you but here are guidelines. Softer tones, less aqua. Different scale of patterned ones. Bbl.

Flo Mangan
    16 hours ago

That’s cool vase! It might work.

• Theresa Janssen
    15 hours ago

I think the vase is worth trying to see how it looks, i like it. wondering if pillows in one of the colors from your new floral arrangement with a couple blues would work?

• gingerrg
    14 hours ago

Thanks, Theresa! I did order that 2nd vase, too, just to see (as you said). I really really like all 4 of those pillows, but 4 is too many. And are you thinking I'll have to return the peacock one? Honestly, please.

Flo Mangan
    14 hours ago

Wait for it....

• gingerrg
    14 hours ago

Okay........ I feel like it might be Christmas morning

Flo Mangan
    14 hours ago

Well I am having more Houzz posting and mock up problems. What I am thinking is using a colorful pillow with the peacock one and then do a small plain ottoman in a carmel leather. Maybe Theresa can mock up for you. I have iOS update and it is causing all kinds of issues.

• Theresa Janssen
    14 hours ago

I agree 4 too many... was just showing options for blue. i wouldn't return anything yet, I personally would get a bunch of different options and see what works, may find the peacock works with a particular blue and say a pink tone. keep options open...

Flo Mangan
    14 hours ago

Here is mock up with multi color pillow and your fav pillow. Add footstool with colorful look and this repeats art colors too. That could work. This pouff is too big but just giving you idea.

• gingerrg
    13 hours ago

Okay, I'll try for that. Should I look for a particular color/shade in a colorful pillow?

Sorry to be so confused. I'm not all that used to being so out of my depth.

• Theresa Janssen
    12 hours ago

you have great taste and to me you know what you want, just needs to be coordinated. if there is something you aren't into, no issues at all. if you love something in particular, great, we can work with it. go bright IMO with colors.tonworknwith the peacock

• gingerrg
    12 hours ago

Thank you, Theresa. I think you have me nailed. That's because I've only ever chosen things I liked and wasn't concerned about co-ordination. But now I am, so don't know how to do it. You're also right in that I'm pretty decisive about what I like - hopefully, that is something that can help us here. :)

Feel free, anyone, to suggest bright pillows (preferably velvet, or something that will look good with velvet). It seems I need more help than I thought!!

Flo Mangan
    12 hours ago

It's not as easy as it looks, so don't be down on yourself. What do you think about multi-colored that would speak to your art and the blue chair? Is that appealing?

• Parker Murphy
    11 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

Hi Ginger- I liked Flos idea of the mixed pillow as the way to integrate some different color. I liked the idea of a leather ottoman - the other one seemed a little boho- but I liked it. I loved its texture but it didn't look like you.

• gingerrg
    11 hours ago

I'm all in for multi-color, Flo. I'll try to post some examples that appealed to me, but they may be all wrong for what you were thinking.

Thanks, Parker. I DID find some some small round leather ottomans - mostly in gray. I think taupe would be more interesting (best match for the rug and better at blending into the background) but haven't seen any. I like gray just fine, though.

• gingerrg
    11 hours ago

I'm really not boho, as Parker said. This is the kind of thing I like

• gingerrg
    10 hours ago

embroidered!

• dsimber
    10 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

Ginger, a gold hammered vase will look great on your mantle. Which style did you order? If you decide on the metal sofa table, I think it would be great to see the gold repeated in a couple more places.

I keep following and want to see this all come together for you. I’ve made a terribly amateur effort to visualize by using “stock” images of glen plaid and herringbone that are similar to yours, though not the right colors. Then I added [blurred] images of your drapery panels and area rug. I’m trying to get a feel for what works with these and the style of your furnishings, but still allows that art over the fireplace to be the star. What do you think of the solids Theresa recommended? Do you still have the salmon/pink pillows shown in your original post? They would speak to your cherry blossom art in the DR without being matchy matchy. It seems like you want more color, though. Brighter?

• gingerrg
    9 hours ago

Oh dsimber, thank you! I ordered the only vase that fit, I think. The tall straight one. Yes, I received the gold frame/glass shelves "bookcase" that's going behind the sofa. It is still in the box though. I really loved Theresa's idea of vibrant velvet pillows. I would still like to do that in some way that makes sense. And I DO still have the pink pillows.

• dsimber
    9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

How about navy and bright pink? (Williams-Sonoma)

edited to add: I like the colors Theresa posted. Was trying to go with colors in that bright floral pillow you posted. Had forgotten about your floral arrangement...and I think bright pink would overpower your art.

• gingerrg
    9 hours ago

Well, who knew pillows could be so complicated?!??!? But I see that they are meant to help tie everything together. I don't know exactly what Flo meant, but I was thinking the one bright colorful pillow will help the velvet colors make sense. (esp. the peacock color). So I'm just hanging in there, trying out different ideas. I think the flowers on the little table will go back. Someone (Flo, I think) said they weren't right for that spot.

• lisalane
    9 hours ago
    last modified: 8 hours ago

Ginger, I too like the idea of the solid velvet pillows that Theresa originally suggested. Two in the blue/green color range and the third in a complementary color of red, raspberry or pink. The third color will provide a hit of energy to the room, I think. What do you want in terms of a coffee table - actual coffee table or ottoman? I think something in a black/dark gray might ground the room a bit but not sure what you are after. Your dining table and chairs are kinda modern so a modern coffee table and maybe modern lamp (that brings in gold and marble from dining table) could be fun in the living room. I also looked back at your original pictures and think the console table that was in your entry is great. What would it look like behind your sofa (although I see you already received glass shelves...). I just always believe in using what you have unless those things really don't work. Just throwing ideas out to further confuse you! You know what you like and that is what counts!

• everdebz
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

I like your 2 embroidered pillows....

if this is 'no' I'll have to say "darn." lol.

Pillows in 21 colors.

Hailey Gingham Throw, 50"x60" · More Info

Velvet 2 Piece Lumbar Pillow Shell Set, Withered Rose, 2 Piece, 14"x26" · More Info

• everdebz
    6 hours ago

or---

CYAN DESIGN 09375-1 Pillow Cover - 18 x 18 · More Info

• everdebz
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

Humor me... ? idk what pillow will go on... too hot a pink?

Ikat Linen Pillow, 18"x12" · More Info

Surya Rokel Rok-001 Bohemian, Global Woven Pillow, Lumbar 13"x19" Cover Only · More Info

• everdebz
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

Interesting pale, gardenia..

Velvet 2 Piece Lumbar Pillow Shell Set, Gardenia, 2 Piece, 14"x26" · More Info

Horticulture HTC-001 Pillow Cover, Pale Pink, 14"x22", Pillow Cover Only · More Info

Horticulture HTC-001 Pillow Cover, Lilac, 18"x18", Pillow Cover Only · More Info

• everdebz
    6 hours ago

but geo. 4 squares --

Safavieh Gorgon Tiles Pillow, Set of 2, 18"x18" · More Info

• everdebz
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

Y'all, I can delete 'em all -- but this is especially nice...

Van Gogh Sunflower Waves Decorative Pillow Cover Hand Embroidered Wool 18x18" · More Info

Suzani Floral Bloom Apricot Decorative Pillow Cover Hand Embroidered Wool 18x18" · More Info

• everdebz
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

If you were to keep clicking at the "leads" they post across the bottom of this [or other] page, you'd see several like this, pretty... ?

Suzani Daisy Elements Soft Turquoise Accent Pillow Cover Handmade Wool 18x18" · More Info

Floral Garden Turquoise Ivory Pillow Cover Decorative Handmade Wool 18x18" · More Info

• everdebz
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 5 hours ago

Is this peacock blue at the right , at all?

Pillow Decor - Van Gogh Poppies 19 x 19 Throw Pillow · More Info

Rugsville Ethnic Kantha Paisley Ikat Green Pillow Cover 16"x16" · More Info

• gingerrg
    36 minutes ago

lisalane, You are not confusing at all. You bring up many good points. I've pretty much decided I don't want a coffee table. (But could be convinced). I love your dark gray stool - simple and a bit modern. Thanks for bringing in my dining table. It's the first thing I bought after leaving my very traditional dining room - table for 18, china cabinet and all. I was thinking straight and simple, no fuss. I liked the lean toward modern, but I'm not really comfortable with lots of modern. That said, I think you are right to try to incorporate more so that it makes sense. I really like the lamp too. Where would i two? Instead of my light green glass one that I like? A second lamp isn't too many, but I don't rally have tables. The entryway console table went into my husband's office. The glass shelving unit I just bought is more useful: it'll be mostly bookcase.

Oh - a pillow shopper! Thank you, everdebz. I do have2 pink velvet lumbar pillows, almost that exact color. (I put them away for a while). Maybe I can use them! My favorites from above are the embroidered garden pillow (although I don't think I', supposed to add turqoise) and the poppy pillow. Beautiful!! I could easily go in that "art" direction, if that will work.

• RedRyder
    31 minutes ago

Not any help regarding pillows. Just here to see how everyone helps you. (It’s not my area of expertise either.)

• gingerrg
    18 minutes ago

Oh RedRyder, I'm always happy to meet a fellow decorator a little out of her depth! Please stay tuned - you may have ideas for mantle or little brown table in window or ottoman or top shelves of new bookcase behind the sofa. (as soon as I can open and assemble it). Thanks for coming.

• Theresa Janssen
    14 minutes ago

not sure if this helps...used your existing pink pillow

• Parker Murphy
    8 minutes ago

Good Morning Ginger. I really like the pillow in the top left post. Maybe it will pick up your peacock? Are you going to assemble your bookcase/sofa table today????? Please???

• Parker Murphy
    2 minutes ago

I found this William Morris pillow - I could see it with your gold accents and warm wood end table. You could pop with reddish tone in pillow- actually it may too rusty. :(

Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting gallery. 270 locations nationwide!