Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_368903710

Privacy trees or hedges along driveway

Kate
3 years ago

Hello, we are currently in the early stages of designing our home. Our home takes up almost all of our build envelope leaving only 25' from the 2 car garage (29' from the single car garages) to our property line. Our current driveway is 25' wide, which is ideal as I drive a large SUV, but privacy is very important to us as well. We are willing to lose a few feet of driveway if it means we can use that space to plant some privacy trees or hedges. Wondering 1) which trees/hedges would work best for a small space and maximize privacy 2) how much space is needed for the trees/hedges? I've attached our current plans showing where our driveway is currently slated to go. Thank you in advance for your help/advice!

Comments (13)

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Planting zone? State you live in? Pics of neighborhood & house? Need some basic info to even make a suggestion! Visit a nursery & drive around looking at existing situations similar to yours to get ideas & see what you like.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

The type of trees recommended will depend greatly on where you live. Try cypress trees, if they grow well in your area.

If not, you could always put in a low wall with a pergola on top and plant climbing roses, etc.

• worthy
    3 years ago

Be aware that municipalities may regulate the height of hedges and trees lining a driveway.

On one house I moved into, I immediately received an order to reduce the height of the hedge on first ten feet of the 25 ' driveway from 15 to four feet.

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks everyone! And I apologize, we live in Ohio, zone 6. It is a brand new neighborhood. Our lot is private on the East and South sides, but there are no trees between us and our future neighbors on the West side (where the driveway will sit).

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

I think you need that space for your parking so I would build a great looking fence as tall as you can just in that section. Densely plant the rest of the yard with trees

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Unless you know for sure what the neighbor house will look like site wise, you might want to wait until that foundation is in just to be sure of what & where to plant.

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, HALLET & Co.! We are allowed a 6' privacy fence according to the deed restrictions. That would probably be the easiest solution, but I'm struggling with what that would look like - I will search the internet for inspiration photos. KW - You are probably right in that it would be best for us to wait until the foundation next door is in before making any decisions. And since we are early into the design phase, we could move the home a few feet east if needed, but then we would have to reconsider the placement of the pool as we wanted it to be centered with the master bath and have room to place a patio on the east side (without going into the drainage easement that runs along that side). Thanks again for your help!

• anj_p
    3 years ago

the issue is that anything you plant needs to be 100% on your property when it's fully grown. we planted some arborvitae and our landscaper set them 3 feet from the property line so they'd be fully on our property when full grown (assuming a max 6 foot spread). if you extend over, your neighbors will have every right to cut them back to the property line. they may not, but it's still not very neighborly to plant something that will overgrow. so I think you'd need to take too much of your driveway to make it work.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

How good of a driver are you and those that will be parking in the garage?

How large of a vehicle do you plan in parking in the garage?

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My husband and I are pretty good drivers :) but our oldest will be getting his temps in a couple years. We plan to extend the cement driveway so that he can park there. My car is the largest and is approximately 17' long and 6.5' wide. Our garage is 30' deep x 46' wide (dh wanted a deep garage for built ins/storage).

• devonfield
    3 years ago

The hard left into the first bay is going to be very difficult to navigate. Don't leave that space for your son. :-)

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Nothing related to the driveway but will you be ok with a dark kitchen that gets no natural light?

What direction does the backyard face?

• Kate
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Haha, thanks, Devonfield! That bay will be for my dh. I will have the center bay. Our son will park outside, if he's lucky enough to have his own car. :)

Cpartist - Thank you, this has been a concern of ours and the architects. He originally designed a breezeway between the main house and garage for the mud room/laundry/pool bath, but my dh was not happy with the garage size. In order to make him happy, the garage grew and the family foyer/mud room/laundry/bath moved to the back of the house and I lost my window in the kitchen. The back of the home faces Southwest (more south than west). The great room, kitchen, dining all have 12' ceilings. The great room has transoms on the wall with the fireplace and a 12' x 8' slider with 2' transoms above. The dining room has a wall of windows measuring 12' x 10' and a sliding door measuring 9' x 8' with 2' transoms. Our architect has also suggested putting a flat roof on a portion of the garage and adding transoms above our kitchen cabinets (I'm still not sold on this idea, as I'm not sure how much light it will really add and if it's worth the additional cost). I know it won't be the brightest space, but I'm hoping it won't be dark. Thoughts?