Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luba41

Help! trying to grow roses in SW Florida zone 9. Not having much luck.

luba41
3 years ago

Have been down here for 7 years. Have tried Louis Phillipe, Belindas Dream, Crepescule, and several David Austin’s and many , many more . I love roses but the only two left alive are Belindas Dream and Reinne de Violette. I had so many roses in my Md. Garden and am so depressed I can’t seem to grow them here. I have babied them, moved them around , amended soil and nothing seems to work.

Comments (18)

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

Any pathology reports to post?

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

And to be clear: the unhyphenated Louis Phillips, the Gallica?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

luba, look up rosepetals online nursery. It is in Florida and they have great roses, which I have ordered. Noisettes originated in the South. Tea roses are lovely. Chinas are great. You could call and get some recommendations. Florida is very special and totally different from Maryland for sure. We have some Florida rose growers who will pitch in shortly I am sure. Sherry is such a good writer and from Florida, although she stopped posting. I wonder if you can look for her posts in the search feature. You need the right roses for your location.

• Ken Wilkinson
    3 years ago

-I grew roses in Central and S.E. FL. for 40+ years. The big thing is amended soil and watering. Also roses that are grafted onto Fortuniana root stock. Due east of you is a Nursery called Coolroses. They know exactly what you need to do and sell roses that will grow well in FL.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    3 years ago

Is nematodes an issue where you are? I dont know anything about Florida but am in Houston with similar weather. Every year I lose a few Rose's over the summer.

If nematodes are not an issue, try raised beds or areas where they get good morning sun and a bit of respite in the afternoon (I dont have such spots in my yard). Do you spray? choosing Rose's that are more disease tolerant is the only way to go in humid climates.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My parents are in south Florida and they are having the same issue you have. I would definitely try the Teas and roses grafted on Fort. I have gifted my parents all sort of Austins grafted in dr. H and own root Kordes and they just do not perform well. K&M roses in Mississippi has a wonderful selection of Fort grafted roses that you could try. There may be other places that do that in Florida that I don’t know. Good luck and don’t give up!

• ValRose PNW Wa 8a
    3 years ago

You have picked at least two varieties, Crepuscule and Louis Phillipe, that are excellent choices for Florida.

Much of Florida soil is mainly sand, it doesn't hold water, is resistant to wetting, low in nutrients and high in nematodes. If your soil does not have earthworms, this might be the root of your problems. Florida sands can be improved by adding a thick layer of soil high in organics and then topping with mulch. Organics quickly burn out of Florida soils that are not covered with a layer of mulch. Organics in the soil help increase soil wetting and water holding capacity. Soil organic promote beneficial fungus that feed on nematodes.

If you could provide more information about your garden such as soil type, sun exposure, if you are near the beach, will help to determine what is causing your rose growing difficulties .

luba41 thanked ValRose PNW Wa 8a
  • luba41
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I live in Punta Gorda on a canal on Charlotte Harbor. One side of the house gets morning sun, the other side gets afternoon sun and the back gets afternoon sun.

i have added compost and earthworm castings over the years before I put the roses in and I do have earthworms when I dig in the beds I have worked.

i have attended seminars on growing roses in Florida and I have tried roses on the Fortuniana graft and have lost them quicker than the own root roses. I do prefer the old garden roses. And I try to stick with organic food and amendments.

I have ordered from Angel Gardens and Rose Petals nursery in Florida. But the only ones still surviving are originally from the Antique Rose Emporium.

even my Louis Phillipe which i have seen around here I just had to cut back and move,

had some kind of fuzzy grey growing on the big branches and was starting to die off.

thank you all for the feedback

• luba41
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And my Louis is a China and was doing really well for years. And I do think my Crepescule is getting thrips.

• luba41
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And I am not giving up. I absolutely love Roses

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    3 years ago

Well, I know its different for different people, but I cant keep any of the grafted roses alive...or even some own root from a nursery that is highly regarded in these forums and she actually ships really nice size own root roses and they all die. My plants from ARE and Heirloom do well, or reasonably well since it is hard growing roses in a hot and humid climate. I lose roses every summer.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I love Antique Rose Emporium too. Best of luck, Luba. It sounds like you are doing so many things right.

• luba41
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Does anyone know if any of the David Austin’s will do well down here? I would really love a yellow or apricot rose. Tried Lady of Shallot and she did not last a year.

• ValRose PNW Wa 8a
    3 years ago

When Louis Phillippe declines, it is usually a root problem. Louis seems prone to root rot diseases, this is usually due to poor drainage but can be spread by nearby, or previously removed, infected plants. Another reason for decline can be Roundup, many lawn services use it instead of pulling weeds.

I was a commercial landscaper for years in Florida and we used "own root" roses in many landscape with virtually no loss. We did not use chemicals to maintain our landscapes. Our "goto" rose varieties were Mrs. BR Cant , Louis Phillipe, Rosette Delizy.

We planted plants high in the ground. The top of plant's roots would be 2" above soil level. We then covered the bed with 3" of mulch so the root would be covered with 1" of mulch. High planting helps with soil borne disease and is recommended by IFAS . This link is a good guide for Florida planting instructions: http://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/media/Install-Your-Trees-and-Shrubs-Properly.pdf

Any chance that you are getting salt water in the roots zone due to salt water intrusion? We had this problem with a property that we landscaped in Cedar Key. Planting on berms solved the problem.

https://www.wuft.org/specials/water/saltwater-intrusion/

luba41 thanked ValRose PNW Wa 8a
  • sharon2079
    3 years ago

I have had some luck with David Austins.... both on fortuniana root stock and own root.....

Do you have a picture of the gray fuzzy stuff on the lower branches.... that might help people identify what is wrong with your roses.

Also, do you mulch your roses..... If so what do you mulch with.... When I first planted my roses I used red mulch from Home Depot... it WAS TERRIBLE. As it broke down it repelled the water and caused a white fungus or mold in the ground..... I then changed to the brown mulch .... same thing.... When watered the water would not penetrate below an inch or two. The ground under that was super dry, but with that grey mold in it... the best mulch here is pine bark, pine needles, shredded leaves....

luba41 thanked sharon2079
  • luba41
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did not take pictures, should have and have already cut him way back and moved him.

he was in shade a good part of the day . Am hoping that may be the problem and he comes back. I Never use dyed mulch. Am using florimulch from trees here in Florida.

will check with our pest control on the roundup. Don’t know what they use. But I don’t have them spray in the flower beds.

• luba41
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We don’t do a weed control on the lawn.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz