rosecanadian

Autumn Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian

https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/chad-jeremy/a-summer-song

They say that all good things must end some day
Autumn leaves must fall
But don't you know that it hurts me so
To say goodbye to you [our beautiful roses]
Wish you didn't have to go
No, no, no, no

And when the rain
Beats against my windowpane
I'll think of summer days again
And dream of you [our beautiful roses]

Emma Haftl

Parade Day finally having its second flush

Maria Callas

So, let's talk. :)

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

Happy bday Diane! 🥳🥳

rosecanadian thanked CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
  • Diane Brakefield

Thank you so much, Sheila. It was another great day today, even with the snow. Boy, were the cats confused because it had been 73 just a couple of days ago.

Summers, I'll bet you don't remember this, but when I turned 70, you told me it was the new 50. You are far more optimistic than I, but thank you so much. I do feel 57 or even 50 for that matter.

Jim, now you're stealing our good weather. That's what you get for electing a Scranton boy. Go Pennsylvania.

Chris and Stephanie, those beauties Desdemona and Madame Joseph Schwartz look almost alike. Am I seeing things? Love them. I am not familiar at all with Madame S.

Deborah, your roses are so lovely, and your friends so lucky to receive the beautiful bouquets. Your first photo of Distant Drums is exquisite. Now I'm wanting summer back.

Carol, once again we have the same weather (except for those awful winds; what happened to the Chinooks?). We never get snow this time of year, but a friend from Calgary has sent me a belated bday present. Snow and lots of it. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield

What is Your Favorite Autumn Accent?

I went with fall pillows and throws as these quickly add a huge warn enhancement to furniture especially if furniture has cool colours. I also change potpourri and the like in jars to Autumn colours.

How are Houzzers feeling about non design threads on Houzz?

I think when threads go off topic it's fine. After all we got together because we are interested it renovation and creative design. Getting rid of clutter. And upgrading dowdy kitchens and horrid bathrooms. Nice to tell people and get advice and opinions. If a little family history creeps in, who cares? often it's related to the topic.

POLL: What's your favorite season?

Yep...fall is the absolute best IMHO. The crisp, cool snap of the air; just cool enough for a light sweater or jacket. The smell of the bonfire and people having cookouts (love those s'mores!).....the explosion of colors when the leaves finally become the colors they were intended to be (they are only green due to the chlorophyll in them).....the crunch of the leaves under your feet after they've fallen from the trees....the rousing of the band playing at the local football game. All of these things make for a very special season. And yes, I must admit that I do hate to see the summer end....those lazy days when you can just slip on a pair of sandals and head outside without having to bundle up first, yet there's just something about fall that truly makes me come alive! It's funny how we all have our favorite season. Do you ever wonder why? I mean....why do some of us prefer the coolness of fall and others love the heat of the summer? Hmmm.....interesting!

As the season of consumption ends, and the purge season begins....

Hey Jan, sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations with snow/power outages/ice!! Maybe you should move down to sunny southern New York? You know, the Hamptons, where it's always summer? ;) Seriously, though, I was so happy that the weather people were wrong about the blizzard on Tuesday. Yes, it's cold and there's snow on the ground but we thankfully didn't lose power. After the Sandy storm in 2012, Long Island has VERY bad memories! I remember not being able to drive anywhere for all the downed trees blocking the roads, and the utility trucks from all over the country helping to bring the power back. I hope you get through this awful March winter and that spring comes in time for Easter.
  • Diane Brakefield

RaeAnna, thank you so much. And have a happy Divali. We have a lot of people here in Boise who celebrate that festival. You must tell us about your special foods and customs.

Ceres thank you, and that emoji is so cute. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian

Sara Ann - Yes, that's right! Once this COVID is taken down, you can meet at any time...you don't have to wait until next Thanksgiving. Your s-i-law sounds delightful!!! How wonderful that she joined your family! :) Her mother is 97!! And she is a darling like her daughter...and she's Czechoslovakian!!! That's where my grandparents and aunts/uncles came from. But my mom was born here. Anyone who helps/makes a difference with our kids...gets major points!!! Yes, singing is very meaningful to the human psyche as is any type of music. I hope your granddaughter's relationship is a good one. :)

Stephanie - love that sport!!! The 2nd picture has some lovely pink in the centre...extra special!!! And, the lemon fragrance sounds wonderful!! I need that fragrance in my rose portfolio.

Chris - the outer petals have such a velvety look...beautiful!!!

Deborah - yeah, blood pressure is tricky. Of course, the best would be losing weight...sigh.

I'm a little leery about taking herbal medication. My sister's doctor took her off of our kidney medication...and put her on a cherry bark derivative....she almost died of kidney failure (we have kidney disease). They actually told her husband that she was dying. I told them to put her back on her allopurinol...she recovered (we have a really weird, rare genetic disease). And, I hate tea....LOL. But thanks for thinking of me. What I am going to do is eat more beets. I have discovered that I love them!!! Steam them then cut very finely and add balsamic vinegar and olive oil. That's supposed to help too. Man, that is a GORGEOUS and STUNNING bouquet!!!

Jim - gorgeous weather!!! Lucky you!! We're hunkered down inside because of the snow/wind....wind gusts of up to 87kph/54mph with below freezing temps....blech.

Diane - okay, I HAVE to know...what kind of chocolate did you get? Priorities!! Diane - you got more snow than we did (you're welcome LOL)...we don't have much. But, yes...lots of wind!!! Chinooks are winds...they can be quite strong!

RaeAnn - yes...what yummies will you be eating? I just googled and Festival of Lights is an Indian celebration of light over darkness/good over evil/knowledge over wisdom. That's something to celebrate!!

• titian1 10b Sydney

Diane, very HAPPY, though belated, birthday wishes. Mmmmm, handmade chocolates. What's your favourite centre?

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Happy Birthday Nanadoll... Happy Birthday!

Yes blech on your crazy weather Carol... Soon or later winter will be upon us also...

oldie but goodie:

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
  • RaeAnna

Yep! You’re right. That’s exactly what Divali is about 🙂 this year it’s November 14th, it’s not the same day every year. Sometimes it’s celebrated on a different date in India, than where I live. Where I’m from, there’s a mix of people from all over the world. Major groups Afro and Indo, then some a combination of both. I’m East Indian descent, but I live in the West Indies - making me a West Indian LOL funny. Our cuisine consists of a mix really. Our food differs from the food in India, because of course, we’re a different region entirely and we have an added Caribbean twist. We fast around this time and therefore all the food we cook for Divali, is vegetarian! I will post some photos. One of the things we make is something similar to rice pudding, but with spices and nuts. Others are made of split pea with diff spices and sweetened, others from different forms of milk, and by products of milk. Overall, basically to make you need new pants soon haha it’s hard to stop once they’re in the house. We have temples where I am from, we have churches and many others. I’ve been to church around Christmas and even this year randomly. I used to go to the temple with my mom when I was younger but life, work etc made all that change. We aren’t very strict. Actually we aren’t very strict at all, we are overall more caribbean than anything. When I travel, people are always confused lol

rosecanadian thanked RaeAnna
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

RaeAnna, which island are you on and have you been affected by this terrible hurricane season?

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Diane -- I am waiting to hear which chocolates -- both who made them and what your favorites are!

Carol -- my Dad's mother is 100% Bohemian - family all came over in late 1800s and settled near Chicago. Trying to do that genealogy is difficult, since I don't speak Czech! Every year I made Almond Crescents -- my Dad's favorite cookies (and now my husband's at Christmas, too) from my Grandmother's recipe. And from time to time I make the Hauska and the Kinedletky & Zelli. Not sure I spelled that correctly....

RaeAnna - so interesting to hear about your multiple cultural roots and traditions! I imagine people all over India are celebrating the new VP-Elect. Will they have photos of her in their homes, do you think? Like JFK and Barack Obama in Irish homes? ;-)

Weather wise we are not getting the rain from the storm that's hit the pacific coast and moved inland. But we are getting a ton of WIND. And cold. I know our cold is relative, but I"m freezing right now!

Jim - thanks for your oldie photos - hope there is a new garden in your near future!

rosecanadian thanked Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
  • RaeAnna

I live in Trinidad and Tobago 🇹🇹, we had stormy weather everyday and some days extreme heat over 100F with thunder. It was confusing, and annoying - I love rain but this, I can tell you was highly irritating. I lost 34 roses due to the constant flooding. It’s settled now, we jokingly say for decades in my country “God is a Trini” - I dislike the word Trini, but for no particular reason. I don’t know if people from India would have photos of KH in their homes to be honest. I don’t strongly identify with India, as I have never been. Her mother was directly from India so perhaps she may, more than I do. I saw online that persons from India were saying not the nicest things, but, I think everywhere, there’s someone who is mean. I am overall proud of her for everything she’s accomplished whether she had something in common with me or not!

rosecanadian thanked RaeAnna
  • summersrhythm_z6a

RaeAnna, there are a few Caribbean medical schools that get a lot of US students. One of the doctors at a local Urgent Care that DD volunteered was graduated from there. :-) We are by the Great Lakes in NY, more than a thousand miles away.

rosecanadian thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • summersrhythm_z6a

Czechoslovakians love fur fashion! They display the best street winter fashion in the world. :-)

rosecanadian thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • rosecanadian

Jim - I always thought it was endearing how you put hens and chicks into trucks, etc. :)

RaeAnna - thanks for the glimpse into your traditions! :)

Deborah - those cookies sound like they'd be delicious!! Would you mind sharing the recipe? :) :) Czech cookies...how cool!! What are Hauska and the Kinedletky & Zelli?

Summers - I didn't know that! :)

Seil (or anyone who wants to help) - will you check my methods on seed germination on this thread? https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6021078/rose-seeds-question#n=26 Thanks!

• damask_rose_zone9b

Hello everyone! I am so sorry I have not posted in awhile. I hope everyone is doing well : ). It has been a crazy past few weeks. I have been busy with loads of schoolwork and then my cat got sick (thank God he is better now). I probably will not be able to post for awhile, but I wanted to wish those in the US a Happy Early Thanksgiving and those in other countries a wonderful day filled with family, laughter, and love.

P.S. - Happy Birthday Diane! God bless you with joy, happiness, and lots of roses! : )

Have a wonderful evening everyone,

damask_rose : )

rosecanadian thanked damask_rose_zone9b
  • sara_ann-z6bok

Carol, that‘s interesting to hear about your Czech heritage. I‘ve always enjoyed it when Jan tells about their get togethers, they have a good time. Their traditions seem to be very important to them.

QUICKSILVER from earlier in the season

SOEUR EMMANUELLE

Not sure, but I like it! I think it might be Leonardo da Vinci

MME ISAAC PEREIRE

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • rosecanadian

Damask - I'm so glad your cat is better. That can be scary when our pets are sick. Your homework is keeping you busy...that's natural. Post with us when you can. :)

Sara Ann - I love the bright colors of your roses!! I really love your unknown rose!! And, of course, MIP!!! What a rose!!! :) They were all blooming so well! :)

• RaeAnna

Oh my l Sara-Ann, your roses are spectacular. As always, wow 🤩

rosecanadian thanked RaeAnna
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Mist was still hanging in the air when I woke up this morning. The hydrangeas add a lot of fall color to the garden.

rosecanadian thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you Carol and RaeAnna! Since it’s been so many months ago when these pictures were taken, I honestly forgot what that one is!

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • rosecanadian

Chris - cool picture with that mist!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Yes cool pic Chris... :-) W

Wonderful pics Sara Ann!

• Diane Brakefield

I promise to be back later (quite a bit later) and tell the story of my favorite chocolates. But meanwhile, I'll be making a Pecan Pie! First in years. My good gardening friend is coming out tomorrow--she's the only guest I allow under this quarantine. And we're going to pig out! But sadly, the chocolates are all gone. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

oldies but goodies..

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Next time, Diane, take a photo of the chocolates too. We all would appreciate it.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I was looking for a picture of my Dad for Veterans Day and came across this beauty

Do you see why I love Olivia ?

• sara_ann-z6bok

Yes, I can definitely understand, Kristine, it’s gorgeous, so many blooms too!

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • Diane Brakefield

Kristine, your photo is convincing me to throw out my Olivia, the slacker. She's big as all get out and isn't blooming much. That's a stupendous photo of lovely blooms. I wasn't aware that Olivia could bloom like that, and I would love her, too.

Well, I did get back here, but it's so late I think I should talk about chocolates tomorrow. Tonight, I talk about pecan pie. I did make it, and it turned out just fine, and I wish I could share it with any of you that like pecan pie. Tomorrow, we will begin to demolish the thing.

Jim, thanks for the birthday wish, and I loved seeing your truck again. Did you take it with you--I hope you didn't leave the truck behind because it's pretty special. What is that beautiful rose at the top of your three photos? I keep thinking it's Easy Does It, but EDI is darker.

Trish, thanks for the good wishes. I love lots of chocolate centers, and I'll tell my favorite tomorrow. It's not that exciting, really, but there's a little story to go along with the chocolates. How's your garden? Mine is a complete mess. The snow has melted, leaving behind a mass of wet leaves with lots more to come, along with more snow and rain. I can't believe this kind of weather. It's probably as bad at my friend's place, so the mess here won't surprise when she arrives tomorrow.

Chris, I love your atmospheric photo, and I'm amazed to note that it looks a lot like my back yard, though you live near the Atlantic in a totally different climate than I in the desert hills. Very interesting to me.

Damask, I'm glad you checked in with us and that your kitty is better. Hope you had a fun Halloween. Now, hit the books--ha. I'll bet finals are not far away.

Sara Ann, what lovely photos. Soeur Emmanuelle is especially beautiful. I didn't realize it was lavender.

Deborah, I'll tell about chocolates, and you tell us a cookie recipe. I wish I could share a piece of pecan pie.

RaeAnna, it was so interesting to read about your Divali foods and all the different cultural strands that have influenced your life. I went to school with a girl named Trini who got her name because her dad was on Trinidad during the second would war. Why don't you like that nickname--just curious? I have to tell you that one of my doctors is of Indian extraction, and his twin sister is also a doctor in the same specialty--a couple of brilliant overachievers. But so nice.

Back to tomorrow. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian

Diane - sounds like I influenced you a bit on making the pecan pie!! Now I want another one!! Do you think your homemade ones are better than store bought? If you think there's a huge difference...could you share the recipe?? That would be delicious around Christmas time!! I hope you have a really "sweet" visit. :)

Jim- it's so good to see you posting pictures...it's like you're getting a bit of your "JIM-ness" back...your mojo!!! I love the bee picture...amazing shot!! And your GORGEOUS red rose!!! What is it called?

Sheila - LOL!!!

Kristine - holy crap!!! That's unbelievable!!!! Friggin AWESOME!!!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Kristine, your Olivia is beautiful. I have it too but in a somewhat shady spot. It does pretty well though regardless.

Diane, that is interesting. You have an amazing garden.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Diane, thank you. Here is a fully open bloom of SOEUR EMMANUELLE.

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Yes I brought my truck with me Nanadoll...That top rose is EDI just faded a bit when I took pic...

WOW! Kristine...

Here some more oldie but goodies:

LINCOLN:

EDI opening

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

T soon you will have anothet lovely gardemPecan pie, yum, my favorite and yes I wish you could share it too

I made a few batches of glazed walnuts in maple syrup, close to pecan pie but not quite.

Remember me talking about the big neglected house next door ?

The widow lady who has lived there since it was built in the 60s was airlifted to a hospital in Portland about 280 miles away. Seems that she has a brain tumor and may never get to return to her home

One of the other neighbors a wonderful widower has gone to her house everyday to mow, trim, blow leaves.

Her kids are going to have quite a mess with the house. She is a hoarder and I heard that it is pretty horrible inside with nothing ever updated, nothing.

I feel bad for my neighbor missing her home and probably never getting to see it again

I would love to be able to buy it and fix it up but it is going to take a couple hundred thousand to bring it back to a decent house.

There are 5 or 6 dead or mostly dead trees which when removed will give me lots more sun

And her water drains in to my yard so that there are some really wet wet areas. Hopefully all things that new owners can address.

Sara, your Soeur Emmanuel is such a lovely color. You grow such pretty roses and your photography is brilliant!

Jim, always so good to see your past roses. I hope that soon you will have a bigger better garden.

Well Azalea is waking up so time to get with it.

Have a blessed day and thank you to all of Veteran's!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Kristine, sad story about your neighbor lady, and good for the widower who is helping out.

Hoarding seems to be prevalent and a sad commentary on how there are so many people with mental issues who don’t receive the attention they need, perhaps by their own choice many times though. However, it would take a very special person to intervene in such a situation.

Thank you for the sweet compliment, I do appreciate that. You have plenty of gorgeous roses yourself! I’ve certainly enjoyed them.

Jim, gorgeous pictures as usual! Love the color of EDI.

VETERAN’S DAY Rose

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Merlena, dont you just love Veterans Honor rose ? It is brand new for me but blooms like it has been there for years. It lasts forever in a vase

• sara_ann-z6bok

Kristine, I think VH is a gorgeous rose and I would love to try it again, the one I used to have was a weak grower, but did produce some gorgeous blooms. I’m always willing to give a rose a second chance. I’m glad it does good for you. Yours is beautiful!

I was looking at some of my 2020 Rose pictures, and kept coming across bubble gum pink blooms!

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Bubble gum pink is a pretty darn good color.

• rosecanadian

Sara Ann - Great open shot of Soeur Emmanuelle!! What do you think of the fragrance? Timely picture of Veteran's Honor...good choice! And the color is so saturated and lovely!!! So you have Veteran's Honor too...like Kristine. Sure is a beautiful rose! I love bubble gum pink...and your first picture put a huge smile on my fave...love it!!!

Jim - Gorgeous Mr. Lincoln!!! The color is fabulous!! And I love the picture of all of your annuals! :) :)

Kristine - yes, that's awful that this woman has a brain tumor, probably won't go home again and has left her house in such terrible condition! Really difficult all around. Wouldn't it be nice to have enough money to buy her yard, bulldoze her house and have another yard for roses!! Although, you probably don't have time for another yard of roses. :)

• Diane Brakefield

Carol, your post up the thread which you wrote yesterday, just appeared on my computer. !@#$ houzz. Do you think we need to start a second part to the fall thread/late fall thread? You asked about pecan pies--homemade vs. store/restaurant. Homemade wins hand down for the rich filling and non rancid pecans. The last restaurant p pie I had several years ago had rancid pecans, and this place was known for its great pies-ha. We get our pecans bulk, and they are excellent. You can eat a few to check ahead of time on their freshness. An aside: my daughter makes wonderful spicy pecans. I also use plenty of real butter and extra pecans in my pie. The extra help cut the excess sweetness of the pie. My friend and I had a lovely visit, which is special during this pandemic. I sent her home with a big chunk of pie, too. If I can get my act together, I'll post my pie recipe, which is pretty standard, plus those little extras I just mentioned. I should post my daughter's spicy pecan recipe, too.

Moving on from pie to roses: Sara Ann, your open Soeur E bloom is even lovelier than the bud. What a gorgeous rose. I want it. And what is the so pretty Bubble Gum Pink rose?

Kristine, I was saddened by your your neighbor's story, but happy that you may get some extra sun when those old trees come down. I would love that myself. In fact, if I were younger and had the extra spending money, I'd love to be your neighbor. What an opportunity to start a new rose garden in the world's best climate for roses!

I promise to come back later to tell the exciting story of chocolates. Maybe only sorta, kinda, tiny bit exciting. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • RaeAnna

Hi everyone, on the topic of desserts, as I promised / here are some photos of the desserts for Divali my aunt and I made yesterday. It took us 9 hours 😳. So many steps.

rosecanadian thanked RaeAnna
  • summersrhythm_z6a

They look yummy and pretty! :-)

rosecanadian thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • titian1 10b Sydney

RaeAnna, those Gulab Jamun are making my mouth water!

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • sara_ann-z6bok

Those do look delicious, RaeAnna!

Thank you for the compliments. SE has a pleasant fragrance, I think it’s a lovely rose. Those bubblegum pink blooms are from several varieties. I think the first one is a very pink Tiffany. The others are Gene Boerner, Kathleen Harrop, Aloha and Belinda’s Dream. That was what made me notice them, all those varieties in that shade of pink, all blooming close to the same time.

I was kind of wondering the same thing about someone starting a new fall thread.

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Carol maybe start a new Fall thread.. Then start a Winter thread Dec 21... :-)

You have done a wonderful job Carol... :-) awesome!

I go look at a house tomorrow... :-) Nice long yard..lol...

• Diane Brakefield

Jim, I love it--so cute and the setting is beautiful. I also like the front porch with the posts that could have roses growing up them, not to mention small roses in the little flower bed in front. I'm already planning your garden! Good luck, and if this is the one you want, may all the stars align so it becomes yours. Nanadoll

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

Carol, we all think you've done a wonderful job on this thread. Please continue. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • summersrhythm_z6a

The house looks nice Jim! Start another rose garden!

rosecanadian thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • rosecanadian

Diane - yes!! If it's not too much bother...I'd love your pecan pie recipe!! I assume it can be frozen for Christmas?

Rae Anna - you made all of those?? They look so perfect!!! and DELICIOUS!!!! And 9 hours of work...egad!!

Titian - you even know what those desserts are called! :)

Jim - yes!!! That yard looks fabulous!! You could really transform it with roses and still have enough room for your Gracie!! Let us know what you think...and inside pictures would be great too...if not too much trouble. I'm so excited for you!!! I love the color of the house...it's adorable!! I really, really hope this house is perfect for you!

Diane - yes, I was only thinking of the back yard...but the front yard is so cute!!! Climbing roses would be amazing!!! And there's a little garden area...which could be widened to include the whole front area...who needs grass in the front??? :)

FALL - ow me to this thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6027285/autumn-seasonal-thread-2

• sara_ann-z6bok

Jim, I’ll be anxious to learn what you think of the house and yard. It does look like it could be very nice, and I know you’re very capable, so no doubt it would be beautiful!

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Going to look at the house here in 10 minutes...The people still occupy the home so no pics for now...

But I'll let everyone know... :-)

• rosecanadian

So, how did it go? Do you love the house? I'm so excited to hear what you think of it!!