Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

6' wide floor to ceiling cabs--how to not look like a monolith?

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I have a nook 74" wide by 38.5" deep that I want to use as a stacking W/D cabinet + broom closet + pull out pantry. I want the W/D doors to be swivel-pocket doors like this.

I want to optimize this space and am hoping I can design this so the 6' long cabinet face doesn't look like a monolith. My thought:

W/D = 36" (need 5" for the doors)

broom closet == 12"

pantry == 24"

Will this look decent? Each of the W/D doors would be 18" wide, than I'd have three doors that are 12" wide. I think this photo (below) looks good. But how will it look with my broom closet in there?

This person has symmetrical cabinets (and brooms elsewhere)

Here are ways that people have broken up their walls. In this first pic, looking at the left end, they used some pull out drawers. I guess I could try that at the bottom of the pantry. (they also mixed it up with wood, which helps here but wouldn't work for my house) Plus I think these elements work well all together, not piecemeal)

I have a 1940 bungalow and most of the floor to ceiling cabinetry I've seen is composed of many different types of drawers and cabinets, like this. I could, in theory, make the pantry side look like one of half of this cabinet--not sure if it's worth it.

Another option is to not have a dedicated broom closet but to make the W/D side larger, and put a partition inside for the brooms and related stuff. But I suspect I'll get sick of opening the W/D closet every time I want to use the broom.

I'm not married to the 2' pantry. If it would be made larger that would be great. But I'm trying to figure out how to make the cabinet doors look proportional and decent.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

I would do a 3' cabinet for the W/D that you keep brooms in and a 3' pantry cabinet.

Also I would plan on having drawers for the lower portion of the pantry cabinet equal to the height of the W/D Doors (assuming 3').

girl_wonder thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

Also Keep in mind the cabinets for W/D will be custom. Not something you can buy from a stock cabinet as it will need to be open tot he floor to support he weight of the machines.

girl_wonder thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Whenever I face a situation like this, I draw it out to scale. Takes the mystery out of it.

girl_wonder thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Pam A
    5 years ago

If you are looking for inspiration photos, try searching for Wardrobe Wall. It is a different purpose, but similar idea of a mass of cabinet panels and drawers that spans several feet wide. That first pic looks good to me, actually.

girl_wonder thanked Pam A
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback.Diana, yes, last night I sketched it out on graph paper. I'd have two doors 18" wide (for the W/D) and then three 12" wide (one for broom closet; the pair for the pantry). I did not love it.

Jan, I think you may be right (again! Does it ever get old? lol). I think I will either do something like the pic above with the white cabinets and the W/D (so a 30" pantry on the right, and the rest for the W/D and stash the broom in there). Or even just split it 3' for W/D and 3' for pantry. I feel like I need all the storage I can get. I had hoped to stash a bunch of stuff in this broom closet, like my tall step stool, ironing board, drying rack etc. But I can get creative.

BTW, I have friends whose cabinet maker did something like this (below). Just a simple pull out between the fridge and their wall. (not inside a dedicate cabinet). It's 2-3" wide and maybe 12 inches long. They only store 1 broom (sideways) and a dustpan. FWIW, their cabinet maker just attached a piece of wood to the regular sliding hardware. The cabinet above their fridge stretches to the wall and this will thing mounts on the bottom of that cabinet. You wouldn't know if it's there, unless you look. Maybe something like this next to my fridge??? Or maybe I'll just be low tech and put a hook on the wall next to the W/D.

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Pocket doors will take up any space to the side of the washer where you might have stored brooms on hooks. The hardware is also very prone to breaking. Especially large cumbersome single piece ones like that that will also be a big challenge to keep from warping.

You may hate bifold doors, but in many ways, they provide better utility. So would multi panel bypass doors. So would a standard single drywall closet, instead of separating it into two sections. It would be a lot cheaper too.

girl_wonder thanked GreenDesigns
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

GreenDesigns, the cabinet makers I spoke to would add a partition between the door mechanism and the W/D, so the side of the cab would be free. Are they prone to breaking? I saw a demo and it looked smooth. The cabinet maker had one on hand that he was currently building. He said they used to build a lot of TV cabinets with those doors, then with the slimmer TVs, that fell out of favor, and now they are back again. If I didn’t use the pocket door my thought was just a pair of 18” doors. I have 46” clearance between this cabinet and anything else. Hmmm.....not using the pocket doors would save me 5”. Hmmmm.....

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

GreenDesigns, you mentioned warping. I plan to have a large door there, no matter what type of hinge I use. Is this an issue for all large doors, that they are likely to warp (?). Or is it more of an issue w/ pocket doors, that even a little imbalance could become a problem? Thanks

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Doors that tall should be 100% MDF. Wood will warp. Any wood cabinet that's over 48" needs to be 2 separate doors. Even in some climates with wide humidity swings, 48" is too tall to not warp.