Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meluky

Certificate of Occupancy question

meluky
3 years ago

I did an addition recently, and also remodeled other parts of the house. I just saw on my recent tax assessment that they added the square footage of my addition and increased my tax. However, my permit is still open and I haven't received the CO yet since there are some issues that the inspector failed us on and need to be fixed. My question is, since I am paying tax already, can I move furniture into the room additions and start using them without receiving final CO? There is no incomplete items in these rooms, and they are ready to be used, and passed. The things that failed have nothing to do with these rooms, and we are working these to be fixed. However, it might be another 3 -4 months for the contractor to come back out since they picked up another job once mine finished. What is the actual rule regarding this since I am already paying tax?

Comments (14)

• HU-178658043
    3 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to use the addition.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Absolutely I would be using those rooms.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

In the municipalities in which we work, certificates of occupancy are issued for new construction, but not for remodeling projects.

• JJ
    3 years ago

Yeah we don't have them for remodels

• meluky
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I was also confused why they are saying that I would get a CO. I thought it might have been because I did an addition of 2 new rooms. But since they already started taxing me on the additional square footage, I feel like I should be able to use them.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Tax is assessed while you add value, whether finished or not, as a percentage of completion.

• meluky
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jeffery, thanks for the reply. That might explain why the tax went up since these rooms are finished. Would there be an issue if I were to start using these rooms while the permit is still open? As I mentioned previously, the items I failed for inspection were not related to these rooms.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Certificate of occupancy is the final inspection to make sure everything is safe, all the needed egress meets code compliance, and to make sure the premises are safe to occupy. Since it's your house and you been living there while the addition is being built nobody knows which rooms you occupy or not.

In addition, the items which are not finished and like you said they will be done in a few months, whatever these items are if anyone gets hurt because of that it will all be on you.

• meluky
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@GN, when they do the final inspection they might do a full walkthrough again. In that case if I have already moved furniture/clothing into the rooms, it would be obvious I had been using them. I didn’t want to get fined for using rooms - and that was the reason for my question. However I’ve been paying tax for these spaces, so I guess I could always point to that as my reason for using the spaces.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

So let them walk around, this is not a new construction home, you live in the house I'm sure any functional person can understand that you cannot climb over stacked furniture all over the place in order to get to other places which were not affected by construction.

That said, what was so crucial that you need a few months to correct something in order to pass inspection? The reason I'm asking is that usualy when it comes to the final its more or less a minor issue which was missed and it's a breeze to complete.

• meluky
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@GN, that seems reasonable, I do have furniture stacked in other rooms. As far as the failed item, it is fixable in a couple of days or so, but my contractor took another big job and will be booked for the next few months. It’s a matter of getting him back and in the past he wasn’t too responsive for minor things.

@ Stax, I haven’t asked the township yet - but I can see from my tax records that my tax went up and the square footage of the house went up.

• Stax
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What did the County say when you called?

• Izzy Mn
    3 years ago

Where I live permits expire so final inspection needs to be done by a certain date. Just check it.