austin_goetz

WANTED: Non Cultivar English Yew (Taxus Baccata)

Austin Goetz
last year

I am from the United States (Pittsburgh, PA) and I cannot for the life of me find some younger non cultivar Taxus Baccata. I found them at UK nurseries but I would prefer to buy some that are in the US. (I am also looking for non cultivar Ilex Aquifolium if you have any leads on that too!)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    last year

I'd post that on Planet Conifer, Dwarf Conifers and Japanese Maples on Facebook. You have to join the groups but there are thousands of members, many of whom are wholesale growers.

Austin Goetz thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • Embothrium
    last year

How well do either of these species do in Pittsburgh? My understanding regarding English holly in particular is that for the most part back East the planting site really needs to be in the coolest areas such as Cape Cod for this particular holly to do well.

• kitasei2
    last year

For those of us who aren’t familiar with this, would you please explain what non-cultivar taxus is snd why you want it? Thanks.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

A non-cultivar is simply the straight species.

tj

last year

If you wanted to visit the PNW, I'd be happy to send you home with as many holly seedlings as you could carry!! Ilex aquifolium is a "weed of concern" here, meaning it is borderline invasive and bird planted seedlings pop up all over any wooded areas. I root 'em out constantly but they are free for the taking.

Not sure how well it would do in Pittsburgh. It prefers a maritime climate - cool summers and mild winters. Generally struggles below zone 7.

Austin Goetz thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • kitasei2
    last year

I see that the species is rarely available in commerce, according to Missouri Botanical Garden. Why not?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

As with many things, lack of demand, I trust.

tj

• Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}
    last year

Wouldn't the seed from a Taxus baccata cultivar produce the straight species? Or is there no guarantee to the outcome?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    last year

No guarantee.

last year

"Wouldn't the seed from a Taxus baccata cultivar produce the straight species? "

It will certainly not produce a duplicate of the mother cultivar! Cultivars of woody plants can only be propagated asexually - cuttings, grafting, layering, etc. - never by seed. While it may not look exactly like the straight species, a seedling grown from the seed of a named cultivar of that plant is botanically considered to be just an example of the species.

• Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}
    last year
    last modified: last year

GG...that's what I'm saying. The OA wants a species Taxus baccata.

I know you can't get a cultivar from seed but possibly a species?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

Sheffield’s sells the seeds so no need for cultivar seeds.

https://sheffields.com/seeds/Taxus/

tj

• Embothrium
    last year

Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata' often produces upright seedlings, Lawson cypress cultivars may generate seedlings of the same general type, Japanese maple seedlings can be similar to the source cultivar, a percentage of seedlings of a purple Norway maple will be purple and so on. But a seedling of any cultivar will never be the same clone.

• Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}
    last year

okay, so there's No guarantee, I get it. :-)

Never thought about Sheffields, good call!