Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llitm

I realize this is a long shot but does anyone have.... (coffemaker)

llitm
3 years ago

this: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/breville-trade-bambino-trade-plus-stainless-steel-espresso-maker/5269376?skuId=66716303

I'm not a coffee drinker and know nothing about coffee. I'm not sure I even know what a "shot" is. I know nothing about grinding coffee or making froth and am not particularly inclined to learn.

But I do like latte's and would love to have one at home each morning. Several years ago we had a machine which accepted pods but the waste bothered me enough that I don't want to get another (I do realize some pods can be recycled but would prefer to eliminate them altogether). I really miss my morning latte's, though!

I'm looking at this machine because I know Breville products to be well engineered and constructed, and they stand behind their products. I like that it heats very quickly (3-5 seconds) and the heating system is purged after each use, So, I'm wondering if anyone might have this machine or other recommendations. TIA!

Comments (16)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

I have the earlier version of the 870 series with steam & a grinder. It's my third machine (first Breville) and I've had it since 2012. It's pretty intuitive to use for a first-timer. Key is to get good quality espresso beans, make sure you clean the machine (the 870 has a light that reminds you to do so) and practice.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/breville-reg-the-barista-express-trade-espresso-machine/3244573?strategy=pdp_cav

llitm thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Fori
    3 years ago

The spouse has the big one, similar to or the same as the one Spanish linked. I wish the small one had been purchased. :)

The big one has been reliable and pretty good, once the learning was done. Most of the learning was about getting the grind right which you won't need to do with the smaller machine.

I don't know if they share the same guts though.

llitm thanked Fori
  • jrb451
    3 years ago

I have the same Breville as 1929Spanish-GW. Love it so much I just ordered my 2nd. It’s used multiple times daily and after 6 years it had lost a bit of pressure in the pump. Finding a good espresso bean is important.

llitm thanked jrb451
  • jmck_nc
    3 years ago

My son has the one in the original posting. He makes it work, but since he is a coffee snob (has his own side gig roasting coffee) he is saving for a higher end machine. I think it is adequate for the regular user though my DIL has some trouble with it (I think she just likes to have my son serve her a latte with a pretty leaf or heart on it;).

llitm thanked jmck_nc
  • Islay Corbel
    3 years ago

It you're not a real coffee lover, it seems a lot of money. You can get machines with the soft pods that are a fraction of the cost, and heat and froth your milk in a pan. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Senseo&ref=nb_sb_noss

llitm thanked Islay Corbel
  • jemdandy
    3 years ago

$500 seems pricey to me for a coffee maker, but I suppose the one you referred to is more than just a percolator. I put some instant coffee in a cup, sweetener, chocolate powder if desired, and some creamer. I add water while mixing, then put it in the microwave at full power for 1 min 15 sec and I have a cup of hot drink. I make a cut of tea the same way. The results tastes fine for me, however, if one is entertaining and several cups are needed, a coffee maker makes sense.

llitm thanked jemdandy
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It does get good reviews although one review on whole latte love says the torque to insert the portafilter is too much. I have that issue with my Gaggia pro classic.

I would buy it.

At the time I was researching similar espresso makers, somewhere I read that the internal water system in the Brevile will corrode and this came about because I bought a used, but new looking, breville espresso maker and it stopped heating water after 2 months. An electrical engineer friend took it apart and told me what the issue was and the corrosion on the heating.

Anyway, while deep researching, (not page one on google lol) I read the Gaggia had a great heating system and was better than the Breville. That was the only reason I bought the Gaggia over a Breville. That and a few other minor things.

Gaggia or Breville this is a good article

llitm thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

When considering the Breville I learned it was supposed to make great "micro foam" for lattes.

Apparently the Gaggia makes wonderful foam for a dry cappuccino, my morning drink of choice.

llitm thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

And regarding beans, they are a personal thing, I've tried many of the top rated ones, the latest being Intelligentsia Black Cat, which I found vile, and keep coming back to Lavazza Super Crema and Starbucks espresso, which I like best of all but I keep exploring!

llitm thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Bumblebeez, I like Illy. It's a secret, of course, embarrassing, practically like admitting to liking Nescafé.

llitm thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • jakkom
    3 years ago

Honestly, if you're going after a latte, I'd just keep it simple:

1) Medaglia D'oro instant espresso powder. No, I'm not kidding. We love really strong, bitter-but-smooth coffee so we do an 8-cup Chemex drip every day or so. Peet's Organic French Roast or Illy Intenso.

But this is my fallback and has been for decades. It makes dynamite mochas, too.

2) A simple battery-operated milk frother. We have a friend who adores steamed milk so I bought her this. She LOVES it.

Aerolatte Milk Foamer, The Original Steam-Free Frother

For less than $25 you can make your latte every morning, and quickly too.

• User
    3 years ago

My daughter and son-in-law bought me this one years ago. I don't like frothy milk in my lattes, so I heat it in a pan on the stove. This works like a charm and makes enough for 4 espressos. Or in my case: one large latte.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Find a roast that you like then find a maker. Espresso is a type of roast not a flavor.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I drink lattes only and I do like the crema that comes from the machine. I actually tried two stove top makers and they did not produce sufficient crema. And I usually don't bother frothing milk, I just heat it in the microwave. But that crema! Yum

• llitm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

BB,I had to google the definition of "crema"....I really am SO ignorant about coffee! ;)

Debby, can you tell me what that machine is called?

Jakkom, the Medagalia instant espresso powder sounds interesting.