gardenho_mi_z5

October garden pics 2020

GardenHo_MI_Z5

It’s time for the last hurrah!!

Please share your bloomers and fall colors...

• mxk3

Nice! Love how the reds are playing off each other! My monkshood have finally started blooming but not in full bloom yet; same with willow-leaf sunflower. Don't have a really good show of anything this fall, not yet anyway -- not sure what's going on this year. The "Chocolate" Joe Pye are just starting too, but I don't really like the flowers - I grow for the foliage.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Thanks mxk3. Would love to see the monkshood when they’re ready...be sure to post pics! I used to have some chocolate Joe pye but it eventually fizzled out, I think I moved it one too many times

: /

A Call to all Gardners and Landscape Buffs

Love the picture cyn222 sent in. You definitely need a side walk extend to connect to the other one. Gardening is my favorite hobby also. Other great plants are perenials such as daylilies. They are my favorite. They are drought resistant and grow in just about any soil and they give you blooms and smiles year after year. Some will rebloom throughout the year also. I have several that are reblooming now. They come in lots of pretty colors also and are fragrant. Liriope is another great, great perennial. It's a type of grass that used in border gardening and it has a small purple flower also. Forever roses are nice also. They flower from spring till frost. Evergreen Euonymous plant come in variegated plants (yellow and green leaves and green and white leaves) and are low growing (under 5ft). They will provide lots of nice color all year round. I also have Rosemary plants. They are great as a small fragrant evergreen plant (mine is about 3ft tall. Lovely plant also. You can't go wrong with daylilies for sure! They are the one plant that you can depend on year after year and they have never let me down.. I just bought a few plants at a time, year after year.

Do you decorate your yard for Halloween?

I go all-out for Halloween. Tombstones, spider webs, light-up plastic statues, fog machines, etc. I decorate the inside of my house in early to mid-August and the outside of my house in early September. I take down all of the Halloween decorations on November 1st and immediately start decorating for Christmas.

Displaying objects in small home

Ladma, I am sorry you got that end of hurricane Zeta as snow. And your roses were so pretty last week! Lia, you have been quite busy :) Today the temperatures dipped down into the 50s, so I had to get out my long pants and long sleeve blouses. I even turned the heat on. Boy did it stink up the condo. We finally moved back into the beach condo yesterday,and I am very happy to see my favorite ocean. This morning the dolphin entertained me as I ate my breakfast. It was four weeks in the house. The house is very lovely and a nice place to stay. But I am all about the beach! :)

Want to start a garden? Ask your questions!

I had a garden for years but not the last two, due to low plant production. I believe my soil was the issue. Well now the “garden” is a bunch of weeds... so I do not want to plant there unless I put down some sort of barrier (Im going with a raised bed garden so I can more easily control soil quality). I want everything to be organic and heard landscaping fabric is not. I know some gardeners use food grade plastic but I haven’t found any in small quantities and it seems to cost over $50 - not every budget friendly! My questions are: 1) how deep should my bed be (typically grow peppers, cud’s, zucchini, beans and tomatoes) - easiest build is 10.5 inches but heard I should go with 12”? suggestions on what to put under my bed if building over previous garden? another option I heard of is to place raised bed over existing grass which will break down and be beneficial. Do you agree? Just afraid of getting lots of weeds again! Thanks for your help!
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

Sunset from the other night.....

Cold foggy morning on my commute to work...

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Gorgeous pics GardenHo! I will try to add some tomorrow but they will not be as fabulous as yours!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

peren you are so sweet thank you. But we all know your gardens are Outstanding! Looking forward to seeing your pics!!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)

My monkshood have finally started blooming

I have two clumps of fall blooming monkshood and neither are close to blooming...at least two weeks.

(I find it interesting that monkshood are one of the very first perennials to emerge from the ground in the spring but the last to flower in the Fall).

(Please post your pics)

• mxk3

"I find it interesting that monkshood are one of the very first perennials to emerge from the ground in the spring but the last to flower in the Fall"

Ironic, isn't it. But normally they don't bloom this late for me. I had a lot of dying stems this year too -- maybe because of the dry conditions, but not sure, it's the first time it's happened, the foliage has always been top-notch.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Yes, it is such an early riser to be such a late bloomer. Just beginning to flower here but no show yet.

Anemone 'Pamina' ? is still in a pot just stuck in the ground for 2 yrs. now.

Chrysanthemum 'Mary Stoker' just started to bloom. I so love the color.

Anemone 'Robustissima' still blooming
    It is really hard to take wide shots because so much is dying back.

.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • kali_deere

love love love the reds!! so gorgeous!

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked kali_deere
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

Just lovely Peren! You’ve got so much going on, I love them all!

I think my favorite would have to be the amsonia one...I’m such a sucker for it Lol. I transplanted all of mine recently onto my slope. I sure hope they survive. They take so long to mature, I would hate to lose the ones I have.

Those grasses are really spectacular!... About how tall are they?

What is that white flower? It’s beautiful!

That last pic is gorgeous, definitely frame worthy!

Your anemone does look like Pamina, here’s mine to a Compare. They have finally started to bloom..

Your Rozanne geranium looks happy too, Mine are re-blooms after cutting back hard during the summer. They love the cooler weather and they just seem to glow!

Another lover of the cool weather...The Fairy rose

Vanilla strawberry hydrangea looking a little rough after this hot dry summer

Surprisingly got a decent shot of the moon for the first time with my iPhone

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Kali thank you!

Your gardens look beautiful!! I can’t get over how much they have filled in!!

Your roses are gorgeous. The fairy rose is my only one. I have considered climbing ones for my front porch posts but haven’t mustered up the nerve yet lol.

What are the soft yellow flowers?

Thank you for sharing your gardens!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Very nice Kali!

Thank you GardenHo! It is a good thing I got pics yesterday because there is a lot of frost on the ground this morning. Most will be fine but it won't help the already sad state lol!

I am sure under your care the Amsonia will be just fine. They are pretty tough but yes very slow to maturity.

The grass Molinia 'Karl Foerster' behind the Amsonia is the tallest at about 10'.

Miscanthus 'Strictus' is 8' then with it's plumes it is 9'

Below 'Strictus' is Miscanthus 'Purpurascens'. It is 4-6' tall and the foliage would normally be extremely colorful (red, orange, yellow) but it was so dry this year.

The white flower is a Rose. I have had it a long time and thought the name was 'Swanee' or some variation on that spelling but I can't find a listing for it.

I need to find a spot for 'Pamina' so it can start to put on a show like yours!

Talk about frame worthy, that shot of the moon is fantastic! So moody in that beautifully dark way.

• kali_deere

gardenho- thank you I am so excited about how well they are filling in and maturing. The yellow flowers are actually nasturtium. They've been blooming forever it seems. I have yellow and red and just decided to let them crawl across the ground rather than rig them as climbers. I love the rambling effect it has.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked kali_deere
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

Burning bushes are blazing now...

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Eddie, named by my daughter... is looking pretty lonely.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Lone little delphinium bloom I found this evening :)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

GardenHo, is your daughter an Iron Maiden fan?

Love the way the reds thread through your garden!

:)
    Dee

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

Dee thank you. Funny as I don’t have any red in the gardens until now/fall. I do love it, just never could picture it with my summer bloomers. I really like it in other peoples gardens...I think I must have a mental block when it comes to combining reds : /

I’m not sure about my daughter lol, I’ll have to ask her.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

GardenHo, it's funny because I'm not really a red person - I have very few red-blooming plants. But that's the first thing I noticed in your photos and I love it! I think it is definitely a "fall" color so maybe that's why it looks so good to me now. I'll have to think about getting some red bloomers for fall.

I ask about Iron Maiden because, as a fan myself, I immediately picked up on Eddie's name. This is Eddie lol.

:)
    Dee

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Eddie is a handsome devil lol! My daughter said she just thought he looked like an Eddie, wasn’t aware of iron maiden’s :)

Last night sunset.... So unique in a spooky way, I had to share!

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Well, it's happened to me now, too. Long post didn't show up at all. I'll try again, breaking it up. Apologies if it shows up twice.

GardenHo, everything in your gardens look so well put together. Your moon picture just needs a bat flying through it.

peren.all, yours always looks good. What a nice stand of Chelone (Turtlehead). I can't get mine to do much.

kali, thank goodness for the roses that keep on blooming.

Also, glad to hear Amsonia is slow to get established in other's gardens, too.

Here's what's going on over here. My yard is a little bit on the wild side....

A wild black panther enjoying a balmy fall day. ;-)

Leaves falling everywhere

Some hostas fading, others hanging on a little longer

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked sandyslopes z5b n. UT
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Aster Wood's Blue and Geranium Rozanne are so close in color

Iceburg roses still showing up

Scrub Jay looking for a handout ..... peanuts are the most requested

Pretty sky from my backyard

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

Wow everyone's garden looks so nice! Mine is so fried and done! Sandy, lovely roses, and I love the photo with the asters and geraniums.

Love the sunsets too. Every garden looks beautiful when there's a great sunset lol.

:)
    Dee

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Sandy thank you, the leaves are falling fast here too!! I love your little black panther lol. Thank you for sharing your Garden pics...lots of Pretty colors still going on, and what a cool bird Shot.

That sunset is another one that is frame worthy...its beautiful!!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Eddie is no longer lonely.... I got him a puppy!!

He’s ecstatic and just can’t keep his hands off of him☺️

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

Haha! Perfect! I'm sure Eddie is much happier now - look at that grin! If only all puppies were so low-maintenance!

:)
    Dee

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Dee thank you lol. I’d have tons of puppies if that were the case : )

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)

A small clump of Polygonatum "Double stuff":

Monkshood finally starting (the lower stalks are "Bi Colour")

And it looks like it (acer aureum shirasawanum) is in 'bloom' ;):

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Thank you sandyslopes, your panther is one good looking cat! Great color echo with the Geranium & Aster and your Roses are luscious still. Lol "peanuts are the most requested". It does not surprise me at all that you feed the birds. Beautiful sunset! I have a couple of Hosta still looking good too but the rest have gone down hard.

GardenHo so glad Eddie has some company apart from the spiders. Your display is terrific! If it were not rainy and a bit chilly I would check on my Delphinium. I noticed a young one trying to bloom a few days ago. Physostegia 'Vivid' is blooming but I will wait to get a pic. That was a spooky sunset!

rouge amazing what a few hundred miles away looks like. It appears you have had no frost at all! Love P. 'Double Stuff' and wonderful colour on your maple!

Just a couple of pics.

Epimedium v. 'Sulphureum' just starting to get it's fall colour.

Caught the rainbow a little past prime on Saturday.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Rouge beautiful pics! The fall color on your jm is gorgeous! I’m waiting to receive mine. It’s my second one...the first one I killed😫 Yours was my inspiration and I thank you for that : ) Love that double stuff too, it’s a stunner! how tall does it get? Thanks for sharing.

Peren thanks, Eddie is very content now lol. That rainbow shot is amazing...it’s perfect. it’s not very often that you can see the whole thing! I know what you mean about Chilly... its raining here, and cold and damp. I’m not complaining though as I just planted a bunch of shrubs and thankful for it!!

• cecily 7A

Mum Sheffield and aster Raydon's Favorite are feeding the pollinators this week. We're seeing a few monarchs passing through now.
    The monarchs approve of Cambodian Queen mum.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked cecily 7A
  • woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada

We just did some leaf clean-up in the backyard as most of the ash tree's leaves are down now. Many shrubs and smaller trees have not yet turned color or dropped leaves, so those ones will be part of spring clean-up. We do

not remove fallen leaves or pine needles - we just rake them into the nearest bed! I will probably have new hemlock bark mulch put on paths in the spring so some of the paths are not too neatly raked :-) The lawn was cleared just by mowing it with a bag attachment on the mower so there is still stuff on the lawn that is keeping the lawn from looking very green at the moment!

This 'before' picture was taken a few days ago:

What it looks like now:

All the pictures were taken from the back porch.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

Woody that looks so nice! Wish I could say the same about my yard LOL.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada

GardenHo - your garden always looks great in the pictures you post!!

• getgoing100_7b_nj

Chrysanthemums (some are still buds, waiting for the first blooms), dahlias, coreopsis, Lobelia and snapdragons are still out on the balcony

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • getgoing100_7b_nj

So are the volunteer tomatoes (three types! my first ever tomato growing, I kinda just let them be). Pentas and Dipladenia are indoors, they will continue bloom non-stop through the winter and back into spring and summer... Also, some volunteer petunias..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Guess I may as well get just under the wire for October with a couple of photos.

Enjoyed looking at everyone's gardens. Some of you have great views of the horizon which I miss since I'm surrounded by trees in a level neighborhood. Lots of you have nice neat gardens that don't seem to have suffered over the hot dry part of the summer. Hopefully that's because you had enough rain this season. We didn't do bad for most of the season but had a spell of dry weather that finally started to impact the garden. We watered but maybe not enough on everything. I do focus on my one sun bed since that dries out faster and I walk past it multiple times a day. Some of the shady borders are further away from the house and some of those look awful on closer inspection and I think I've lost some plants.

But, that's next year's problem. [g]. Right now we are getting enough rain and I managed to keep my full sun bed in decent shape. Although I had to cut back all the roses late in the season because the foliage was not as good as usual this year and I couldn't stand to look at it any more. I have my fingers crossed that it is working out okay.

So, this is the last hurrah in my garden every year. Once the mums bloom that's the end of it.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

PM thanks for sharing...just beautiful! You’ve still got a lot going on!

GG you too! I am amazed at the variety you grow on your balcony!!

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    yesterday

Thanks GH. It's an addiction. :) I have about 120 pots of varying sizes to take care of at last count...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    yesterday

GH - Thank you - I always enjoy photos of your garden. Nice photo of the moon and the spooky sunset. Lots of photos of sky here which I really enjoy. And Peren.all caught a nice photo of a rainbow, which was great too.

GG - I see you are in zone 7b, so it's still not time to pull all the pots off the balcony? Eventually you have to though, right? You've already brought a few in - the Mandavilla and some annuals. I haven't tried wintering over Pentas or Mandavilla. I never buy Mandavilla because of our short season. I love Pentas, I should plant them more often. How sunny is the window you put them in front of to keep them blooming all winter? South facing?

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    8 hours ago

Prairiemoon, it had been relatively warm and I was trying to keep them out as long as possible. I had to bring a majority of them in today with a forecast of near freezing minimums tonight. Only the roses, clematis, rozanne geranium, bulbs, and columbines are out for now. I brought the peony container in because it has a lovely spread of Lobelia just beginning to bloom. I think I will be putting some of the pots out again to let them have the winter chill they love/need - Jasmine polyanthum, snapdragons, chrysanthemums, stocks (mathiola incana) and the peony. It is going to get tricky with the peony and I may have to sacrifice the Lobelia so the peonies can get their winter chill.

The majority of the plants go in a southeast (more east than south) facing window which gets sun in the morning for 4-6 hours and the rest go on east facing windows. I have led grow lights (ordinary strips and bulbs, not shop lights) overhead to run a few hours in the evenings and through out the day for overcast days. Pentas (dwarf) are actually much more floriferous under the conditions than Dipladenia but then I get to keep them as perennials, which is a big plus. My current one is in its third year. I think with led lights making it cheap and easy, one can pretty much grow anything indoors with some effort. My chilli peppers (sowed mid August) are just starting to produce and the sweet peppers are in bud. I find much cheer in winter gardening when it dull and dreary outside.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

GG - Have you posted photos of your balcony when it's full of plants in a previous thread? You have such a variety of plants, would love to see them in the spring and summer.

I am interested in your LED lights. I’m not sure how you set them up? They’re grow bulbs that you put in a lamp? And what is above that is not a shop light?