Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsevernak

Has anyone used a manufacturer of panelized homes such as Wausau homes

Dee S
3 years ago

My husband and I are wondering if we would save money purchasing a home through panelized home builder instead of a traditional stick built home. I keep reading that it could save from 10-20% on the framing costs but I can't find concrete numbers. Has anyone else gone through this same process?

Comments (2)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

There is no way to give "concrete" numbers without taking the steps to price everything out. Typically the savings in dollars are minimal. The savings typically is in the time to to assemble the home. The panels are also made in a climate controlled factory/shop which is more controllable in terms of quality.

• rwiegand
    3 years ago

We did a large addition using panelized construction from Davis Frame in NH. We're extremely happy with the outcome and the quality of the product. As far as I could tell there was no difference in cost vs stick framed, but the quality was better, the amount of waste was much less (they built the whole thing in CAD from our architect's drawings then did an optimized cut list and their computer controlled saw cut and labeled all the parts. All the waste from a 1200 sf building fit in two 55 gallon drums.) All the bevels and miters were perfect, everything came out near perfectly straight and plumb, air sealing was excellent. The main difference was a saving of about two months on the construction calendar; our crew was able to work on rehabbing the old part of the house while the addition was being assembled in the factory. Watching it go up in two days was fun. Make sure your concrete foundation sub can follow a plan exactly, fudging after the fact is not easy.