lisa_mcginn51

Pls help with adivice -how to change color of giant brass chandelier

Lisa McGinn

Hi! I have a center hall colonial decorated in 1990's. I am prepping it to sell. Painting the hallway grey and white has really helped.I cannot afford to change the hunter green marble floor tiles, but maybe I could change the shiny look of the Williamsburgh brass chandelier? I don't want to do a two step process as it's huge and I cannot take it down (there is a scaffold up at the moment for easy access). It's not discolored in any way, so there is some kind of shiny coating on it. Is there anything I could rub on it that would stay? Thank you! :)

BeverlyFLADeziner

I'd leave it. Plenty of people will say they love it.

I had a chandelier, not as big as yours, that I simply spray painted, but I did that before I hung it. Added black shades.

Lisa McGinn thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Jennifer K

If it's cast brass then painting it would devalue it significantly.

Remember, when you're selling, the point is to do it at a profit. You need to value both your money and your time. It is impossible to guess what will really appeal to a buyer. The best you can do is make sure the house in clean and in good repair without anything too personal about it. The goal is to allow the potential buyer to picture their stuff in the space; it is not to decorate the house for them.

Lisa McGinn thanked Jennifer K
  • coops1mom

The gold compliments the green floor. Green/gold is popular again - so I'd leave it.

Lisa McGinn thanked coops1mom
  • njmomma

Leave it as is. Brass looks beautiful with gray walls.

Take the green runner off the staircase.

Lisa McGinn thanked njmomma
  • Jinx

Another vote to leave it —

The buyers might like brass.

If they don’t, and decide to replace it, it’ll be a lot easier to sell or give away in its original condition.

Lisa McGinn thanked Jinx
  • BABS L

I would leave it. That might be exactly what a new buyer would want for their colonial home.

Lisa McGinn thanked BABS L
  • tozmo1

I vote for leave it as is too. I can't imagine anyone saying, "I'd buy that house if it had a different chandelier in the foyer," and if they do, then you have something to negotiate about. And it's pretty as is so there ya go!

Lisa McGinn thanked tozmo1
  • RMC

Please leave it. It's gorgeous and the new owner can sell it if they don't like it.

Lisa McGinn thanked RMC
  • Lisa McGinn

Thank you all very much for your replies and very sound advice. We have decided not to mess with the chandelier, to remove the carpeting and do a mix of stain and paint on the railings.