marilyn_sue

What is Your Favorite and Least Favorite Nut?

Marilyn_Sue

I told my daughter I heard cashews are good for you if you are depressed. She said, I'll order you some. I will do anything for a good nut! Ha, ha. What is your favorite nut? I like a lot of different ones. Growing up we had black walnuts and hickory nuts. I have black walnuts now and they are one of my favorites. My least favorite is pistachio. What is your favorite and least favorite? My cashews are to arrive today!

Sue

• Sisters in faith

Wild hickory nuts, pecans, and walnuts. At Christmas time, I always buy big bags of bulk nuts.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Sisters in faith
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I love all nuts and seeds other than black walnuts and Brazil nuts. There's always a supply in the house.

Marilyn_Sue thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What's your favorite room in your home?

My Bedroom- It has an antique sleigh bed, tiny little rocker and chair and bench with caning-all matched. (from a garage sale) I just moved in TWO giant bookcase hutches from Ethan Allen in (which I never used to like) and it made this tiny room look LARGER! I put all my personal books, perfume bottles and favorite things on display, and I sleep like Goldilocks, tucked in with a quilt in this very cozy room. If I have "company", I use a DIFFERENT bedroom, with a queen bed. I prefer the little bed though...........Pics show my archaic tv and wrapping paper under bed-REAL pics, not posed-haha

What is your favorite room in your house?

The bedroom that was my Moms when she was growing up was also my Daughters (she's 32). For the past 10 years this room was for play and nap time for grandchildren (3 boys and 1 girl). Now, 100 years later, a sunny room just to sit. (:

What was your least favorite design trend of 2014?

Minimalism is not really a trend. You could probably trace the roots of minimalism back to ancient Sparta if not earlier. But your other ones...I have to say chevron and espresso finishes are out. Once people on pintrest are done with their cute antler pictures and keep calm posters they will be out as well. But they wont be really out until someone gives me one. That's usually my clue - by the time someone gives me one the trend is deader than an armadillo on a Texas state highway.

What's your favorite smell in your house?

Both of my scents are of the elite class! With these scents people will know your important! One of the best smells your house could ever enjoy would be birch logs burning in your fireplace (needs heated air vents) (only birch wood) it will create a bleach/coffee smell in your house, so very good smelling and will drench everything in your house with this smell for years to come (remember, only birch wood). FYI, Also, birch essential oil doesn't compare to this method so don't get a candle or the oil expecting your house to smell like a bleach/coffee smell; it won't work. Another really great smell that your guests will never forget in your house (which smells amazing if I say so myself) is any food baked with tomato paste, brown sugar, and a touch of cinnamon. Meats: pork chops, meatloaf, etc.. Your guest will never forget the smell upon walking to your front door for a fine dinner! I love smelling doughnuts wafting through the air. The Barbara Streisand rose and Angel Face rose ( AF has a lemony rose sent ) both smell wonderful in a rose bowl. Peonies and Saltwater.
  • sheilajoyce_gw

I don't see much point to Brazil nuts or macadamia nuts. I like all the others, and strongly feel that a light coating of milk chocolate makes them divine. I like almonds raw to eat out of hand, but toast them sliced to season vegetables.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • Annie Deighnaugh

Brazil nuts...yuck. If they're fresh, they're ok, but so many of them seem to go rancid so quickly and nothing is worse than biting into a rancid nut, no matter what variety.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Raye Smith

This southern girl loves pecans - that's pronounced Puh-cah-wans. Any form or fashion, toasted with salted, covered in cinnamon & sugar, covered in milk or dark chocolate, in fudge, chocolate chip cookies, in brownies, in ice cream, in pecan pie... now I'm hungry!

I enjoy most other nuts and eat them daily, good source of protein

Marilyn_Sue thanked Raye Smith
  • Elmer J Fudd

My favorites are dry roasted peanuts (yes, I know, not a nut) and pistachios. Salted always.

I like most nuts except I can't bring myself to eat pecans or anything made with pecans. Pronounced like pee-can in my region.

I know that almonds are big business in the California agricultural hinterland of the Central Valley but I was surprised to learn from Wikipedia that California is responsible for 100% of the US commercial crop and, more surprisingly, 80% of the world's almond production. I don't know if that's accurate or if includes hype from some industry association.

As for pronunciation, in almond growing areas and among those in the business, the pronunciation of this fine product is Am-'en. Not as in amen, but a short A sound, as in I "am". And with a heavy stress on the first syllable said almost nasally.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • moosemac

Favorites are: cashews, pistahios, pecans and walnuts; I love all nuts. Alas our grandson lives with us and has a severe allergy to all nuts so I am relegated to eating seeds.

Marilyn_Sue thanked moosemac
  • chloebud

"I love cashews.....and pistachios, pecans and walnuts. Do not care for almonds (or almond flavored anything), Brazil nuts or macadamias"

Couldn't agree more!

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • chisue

We just discovered a new-to-us cereal at Cosco: Morning Summit. If you love nuts and seeds, you might like this as much as we do. (I always add broken pecans to other cereals; wouldn't have thought of adding pumpkin seeds though!)

Almonds are a very water-dependent crop. A season of "Goliath" was focused on this.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chisue
  • Rusty

Oh Marilyn_Sue, what memories this thread brings up! I haven't ad a GOOD black walnut or hickory nut of any kind, since I left my home state over 50 years ago! We had black walnut trees, and hickory trees, and I remember one butternut tree, on our farm. I remember my mother sitting on a bench under a walnut tree in our back yard, with an iron anvil on another bench in front of her, and a hammer, cracking black walnuts. We always spread the 'green bombs' on the driveway and run over them with the car, to break open the green casings. After they'd been there a while, we could pick up the nuts for shelling. A lot of work involved in the shelling, but oh so worth it! Walmart here has had shelled black walnuts a time or two, but they were exorbitant in price, and I thought they tasted rancid. I'm sure they would still be my favorite if I could get good fresh ones.

Actually, I like almost all nuts for eating out of hand, and some in different applications. Oatmeal cookies need walnuts, but pecans can be a (poor) substitute. Hazelnuts or almonds in dark chocolate. I love Brazil nuts, too. Peanuts are at the very bottom of the list, pistachios are pretty far down, too.

Rusty

Marilyn_Sue thanked Rusty
  • tvq1

I love black walnuts! I never see then in the stores anymore, though. My Grandma had a big black walnut tree at her house, so I grew up eating them. I think black walnuts are one of those things that either you like or you REALLY don't like. My husband hates them ;{

But to answer the original question--by favorite nuts are brazil nuts, least favorite are pecans. ETA: I really don't like peanuts, or peanut butter either.

Marilyn_Sue thanked tvq1
  • Elmer J Fudd

"Almonds are a very water-dependent crop. A season of "Goliath" was focused on this."

Walnuts (also grown here) use much more water than almonds.

Aside from fodder and grain as grown in the Midwest, California is the major food producing state (fruits and vegetables) in the US. Food of all kinds, many of which are grown only here. There's no rain from roughly April to November so all crops grown are irrigated and often with water that has traveled some distance

Marilyn_Sue thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I like all kinds of nuts too - and some of them are people 😉

I think walnuts are my absolute fave for cooking/baking. My aunt in WI has both English and black walnut trees in her yard, but they all go to waste, sadly.

I love coconut & chestnuts too.

I just had a handful of raw macadamias from my tree. They don't have as much flavor as roasted, but IMO, it's lovely to have such an abundance of free food that's pretty costly in the stores.

I avoid the really hard ones like raw almonds now due to dental work.

I believe that some studies showed that eating nuts regularly is beneficial to health.

Marilyn_Sue thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Lars

I've driven past pistachio groves on Hwy 101 but did not stop to buy any. California grows 99% of the pistachios produced in the U.S.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Lars
  • woodrose

Pecans, walnuts (English and black), and cashews . Black walnuts take brownies to a whole new level ! Yum !

Pistachios are my least favorite.

Marilyn_Sue thanked woodrose
  • Elmer J Fudd

lars, most pistachios are grown in the Central Valley, I'm not so sure about along 101, maybe some in the short stretches where wine grapes are grown. They need heat. You see lots from Hwy 5, out in the middle of nowhere.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Alisande

I just saw this listing in Facebook Marketplace. It's ridiculous, but amusing to me in light of our discussion:

Pistachios I had a difficult time with - $2

Approximate a few pistachios that were not properly boiled and heretofore, I am having a difficult time with, filibuster, nevertheless I give up. I am including one that will be easy to open.

I have the feeling English is not his first language. I wonder if "filibuster" was supposed to be "filberts." LOL

Marilyn_Sue thanked Alisande
  • Jinx

Alisande, that’s so funny! 😂

Marilyn_Sue thanked Jinx
  • Cloud Swift

My favorites are pecans and cashews. (@Alisande, Trader Joes has raw cashews as well as roasted ones. I like the raw ones for using in stir fries.) Pistachios high on my list too. I love almond flavor including frangipane and marzipan but the texture of almonds is too hard in some contexts so I'd rather have pecans or walnuts in my muffins or quick bread. Almonds are fine in biscotti.

Least favorite is hazelnut and maybe Brazil. If peanuts count, I'm not a fan of them in most things though I do occasionally like peanut butter. I think my aversion to peanuts is due getting tired of an overused flavor rather than something basically wrong with the flavor so they are fine as long as I don't get them too often.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Cloud Swift
  • maifleur03

Just a comment about brazil nuts they increase the richness in brownies. My mother shaved thin slices from the nuts but grinding to a paste should also work. She just added however many she wanted to a package of brownie mix.

I prefer pistachios but the ones from New Mexico not the ones commonly sold raised in California. They remind me of the flavor that the ones that were imported from Iran during my childhood.

Marilyn_Sue thanked maifleur03

Technically, peanuts are not nuts at all. They are a legume, like peas, beans or lentils. They just happen to grow underground.

Marilyn_Sue thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • krystalmoon2009

I like all nuts except peanuts

Marilyn_Sue thanked krystalmoon2009
  • morz8

I don't eat peanut butter, but love peanuts. All nuts really and even keep pine nuts here for recipes which I think are really seeds. I rarely buy hazelnuts, and find Brazil nuts a little too much work to bother with that cement-like shell but other than that....bring on the nuts. Whether for cooking or snacking.

Marilyn_Sue thanked morz8
  • Angela Id

Love them. Now I need a jar of nuts!

Marilyn_Sue thanked Angela Id
  • hounds_x_two

Favorite(s) Walnut, Pecan, Almond

Least favorite(s) Pine Nut, Pistacio, Brazil

Marilyn_Sue thanked hounds_x_two
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

favorite - cashew

least fav - coconut. If that doesn't count, then almonds.

Marilyn_Sue thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • sephia_wa

I'm addicted to pistachios. I like most nuts. Brazil nuts - blech.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sephia_wa
  • sprtphntc7a

Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, peanuts, spanish nuts, i could eat all the time. also love pumpkin and sunflower seeds

least fav. cashews and pecans.

i have to try and find black walnuts, never had them.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sprtphntc7a
  • dees_1

Favorite nut is my DH. He's a hoot. Least favorite is wing nut. I have the hardest time with them and usually hurt my fingers.

Marilyn_Sue thanked dees_1
  • donna_loomis

I can't think of a nut I DON'T like. Cashews and macadamia nuts are tied for first. I'd say Brazil nuts would be my least favorite. When DH needs dessert and neigh of us has made one, he'll settle for ice cream and bring me a very small bowl of cashews. He knows well.

Marilyn_Sue thanked donna_loomis
  • Elmer J Fudd

An earlier comment reminded me of something. I'd never heard of or had boiled peanuts before. Just a few years ago, on a visit to Birmingham, a local suggested I might enjoy going to a small retro peanut store that's in an old building in the downtown area. So I went.

The containers of boiled peanuts on display caught my eye and I bought some. I sampled them them a few different times and couldn't warm up to them. I wound up tossing the container. I for sure prefer roasted peanuts, and the dry roasted variety, as before, are the way I like them best.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • amicus

I'm exactly the same as Lukki Irish, who said "It’s hard to pick a favorite, I love cashews, pecans, pistashios and macadamia but I don’t care for brazil nuts at all." except, (like functionthenlook) I'd include chestnuts as ones I don't care for either.

Marilyn_Sue thanked amicus
  • Kathsgrdn

Hazelnuts are probably my favorite. I can't think of any I don't like.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Kathsgrdn
  • abbisgram

Favorite: pistachios

Least favorite: ????

agmss15, we did the same as Rusty for the black walnuts. Lay them in the driveway and run over them with the car. I think they have to dry out some before you crack them. If the squirrels don't get them first!

Marilyn_Sue thanked abbisgram
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT

I'm sure I haven't tried every nut there is, but I'd say...

favorite: cashews least liked: Brazil nuts - have a strange taste to me.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sandyslopes z5b n. UT
  • Cherryfizz

My favourite is a filbert. Least favourite are peanuts since I have a sensitivity to them and can't eat them. Not a fan of pecans either, I might have a sensitivity to them too because my skin gets itchy after I eat them. I think my next favourite would be a Brazil nut if they were more available and easier to get out of the shell.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Cherryfizz
  • grapefruit1_ar

My DH considers cracking walnuts to be a sport. We can easily find black walnuts growing along roads throughout the countryside. Most people do not bother with them. I think that they are an acquired taste, that I have never acquired!

Yes, he also drives over them once the outer hull has dried up a bit. They are then picked up while wearing old gloves due to the staining that they cause. It takes weeks for it to wear off your hands.

The final step requires a hammer and a big solid rock. Let the cracking begin. A nut pick will allow you to extract pieces from the shattered shell (he has not perfected the art).

We had a small grove of black walnut trees at our first home ( in the country) , and we gave many of them to an elderly farm couple who spent a lot of time extracting the meat to sell at the local farmers’ market. Bags of black walnut pieces are a hot commodity for holiday baking.

Marilyn_Sue thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Marilyn_Sue

My black walnuts are falling. The squirrels are busy. I need to try and get some picked up as I really do like them too. My Cannister of Happiness arrived in the mail yesterday!

Sue

• marilyn_c

Black walnuts can be difficult to find in stores. I find them at Kroger and at a Texas supermarket chain, HEB, around Christmas time. You can also find them on Amazon.

Marilyn_Sue thanked marilyn_c
  • Jinx

I got a can of mixed nuts yesterday, because of this thread. I couldn’t stop thinking about them. Of course, it’s mainly peanuts, even after the label said otherwise. 😢

Marilyn_Sue thanked Jinx
  • bragu_DSM 5

my least favorite nut was the bowl of nuts my grandmother had ... she'd suck the chocolate off and put the nut in the bowl ...

Marilyn_Sue thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • CA Kate z9

Ewwwwwww, bragu!

Pecans are my go-to nut now-a-days, but my favorites (unattainable) were butternuts and hickory nuts. But then, I seem to remember my mother getting after me for eating all the Brazil Nuts out of the bowl.

My absolute least favorite are Hazelnuts/ Filberts. I avoid that flavor as much as I do Chamomile anything.

Marilyn_Sue thanked CA Kate z9
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

There are several hickory trees within a block or two of my house, but I have yet to succeed in getting one to try - the squirrels are on them as soon as they fall, it seems. The outer shells litter the sidewalk and street.

There are companies that will buy backyard black walnuts. I think most people with the trees don't know this (some actually don't know that they are edible.)

I think the only time that I've ever had macadamia was in a macadamia-pineapple cake - that was scrumptious.

Marilyn_Sue thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • diyaj7

I like cashew nut the most. It is abundantly available in Kerala which is a state in India, that's where I live. We have cashew trees at home. The cashew apple are red in colour when ripe and we also eat it and use them in curries. My mouth is watering thinking of it. I will give the photo for those who haven't seen cashew apples

The nut I absolutely hate is walnuts. I have only eaten it twice. I hate the bitter and tangy taste of walnuts and it is not grown where I live but it is available in supermarkets.

Marilyn_Sue thanked diyaj7
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH

I don't care for chestnuts--or didn't when I tried them as a child, and haven't tried them since. All other nuts, I love, especially cashews. The best brownies and fudge are made with black walnuts. Our locally owned feed/farm store buys walnuts every fall--2017 was a bumper crop here for black walnuts, so elder GS and I gathered several bushels. We have walnuts in the driveway to be hulled, but they are so time consuming to crack, I don't know if we'll bother.

I can remember cracking hickory nuts for cookies, when I was a child, using a large needle to extract the meats. It's been years since I had a hickory nut. I have a hazelnut bush beside the (now defunct) pump house, but the worms always seem to beat us to the nuts.

This thread has inspired me to open a fresh bag of mixed nuts. :)

Marilyn_Sue thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • summersrhythm_z6a

I like all nuts, pine nuts would be #1 for me.

Marilyn_Sue thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • kadefol

I love all nuts, but hazelnuts are my favorite, especially if they are chocolate covered. Least would be pistachios, though I’ll eat them if they are around.

Marilyn_Sue thanked kadefol
  • lily316

Not almonds anymore. I broke a tooth off eating a KIND bar with almonds last week.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lily316
  • artemis_ma

My favorite was pistachio. Unfortunately I can no longer eat them, or several other varieties of nuts. Severe gastrointestinal distress.

Ditto pine nuts... can't eat them anymore either. And I liked them on salads (seeds make a good substitute).

My least favorite is hazelnut. They stench bad and taste worse. I have no idea if my gastrointestinal difficulties extend to them and don't find it remotely worth finding out.

I would like to find out if I can still eat chestnuts. They're seasonal around here. I've never remembered to look for them in December. But I liked those.

(I can still eat almonds, which are okay... I like their flavor, but when they are still chunks they just taste like flavorless chunks - they need to be pulverized or extracted. )

Marilyn_Sue thanked artemis_ma
  • Gooster

Late to the thread, but I love Marcona almonds. I also really like pistachios, and there are several farm stands that sell these. I like almonds in general, and even Macadamias (but mostly, in chocolate).

My least favorite are Brazils, just after chestnuts. If I have a jar of mixed nuts I tend myself to avoid the Brazils -- and we end up throwing away the balance. I can't say I am a fan of cashews as a toasted nut, but in salads and dishes they are fine. These three nuts are not much improved by a chocolate coating, which is saying something.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Gooster