Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deepa_duvvuru

Paint looks different on white board and wall

DG DG
3 years ago

Hello,

We are planning to paint our house and got samples from Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams stores and painted them on the wall. I have made multiple trips to the stores for different colors because the color on the walls looks nothing like what I see in the online pics, or the paint swatch. I understand that colors look different based on lighting, etc. but the colors are not close at all. They seem to have a purple tinge/blue tinge.

On my last trip I got white foam boards and I painted the colors on that and they look like the colors are supposed to! I put them next to my wall where I painted the same color and it doesn't look like the same color. I was losing my mind as I have made so many trips to the stores and unhappy with the colors and the solution was to paint it on white foam boards and now I like all the colors that I rejected previously.

I have pics below but it's hard to see the color difference in the pics.

My questions for the more experienced ones:

1. Has anyone else seen this before?

2. When I get my house painted will I get the color that is on the sample wall or that's on the white foam board?

Thank you for your help!

Comments (10)

• Jennifer Svensson
    3 years ago

They might not look all that different. I’m pretty sure the gold currently on the walls are throwing everything off.

DG DG thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • Trem Wills
    3 years ago

You probably should have primed the wall before doing your samples. They don’t look that different to me but the gold on your walls is probably skewing the colours for you

DG DG thanked Trem Wills
  • DG DG
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the quick responses.

The pics are not capturing the difference well between the colors. The walls make it look too purple/blue.

When I paint the whole house, should I prime it first? Or is it not needed?

• Trem Wills
    3 years ago

If you have to do more than one coat then I think it’s more cost efficient to prime everything first.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I would prime the walls, and still do two coats of paint. Walls and ceilings always look better with 2 coats of paint. One coat just doesnt do it.

DG DG thanked cat_ky
  • lucky998877
    3 years ago

2 coats are always needed, always. I would not prime between those colors...the old color will disappear especially if using BM. Hang a white sheet, check your foam board against it morning, noon and evening...go with your gut.

DG DG thanked lucky998877
  • Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

Second coat your samples for a more accurate comparison. I would not prime and then do two finish coats. Either tint the primer and then do one finish coat or just skip the primer and do two coats. If you patch walls, you will need to spot prime all patches.

DG DG thanked Lyndee Lee
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

A common problem. Pictures on the Internet have been professionally lighted and usually give wrong impression. “Sample” pots are usually in a “satin” finish so it gives a different impression of color. Your walls have orange peel texture and that creates shadows that also changes color perceptions. If you have strong existing color on your walls it is best to prime. Some high quality paints advertise paint and primer in one. The newer formulations are better at covering. But each home is different. So, do not paint on your existing walls. Bad for many reasons. Order your favorite colors from Samplize.com. They have a peel off back so you can put on wall and see the look with the texture. Easier and cheaper in the long run plus no paint to dispose of. Try that. In addition, I would choose lighter colors.

DG DG thanked Flo Mangan
  • DG DG
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We did two coats of sample paint and the color is still nowhere close to what it is on the white board.