Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellaf84

Rectangle or neo-angle corner shower for our small bathroom remodel?!

Mellaf84
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! We are remodelling our bathroom (it is essentially the main and guest bathroom).

Is it a bit small and we are not changing the plumbing around (trying to save $$). Changing everything else.

A rectangular corner shower, max 36 inches by max 42 inches long could fit... but as you see the bathroom is not very big and our vanity will need to be as big as possible given we have a little girl who will grow up and get ready in there. The shower door is also complicated by the fact we’ll have the vanity right beside it.

Is rectangle the way to go? Or a neo-angle shower? I didn’t know if that style looked new or dated... I just love the look of a clean rectangle shower but I’m not sure if it’s the best way to go.

Please help!

Salle de bain Ben · More Info

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Always best to post a to scale floor plan with windows and doorawys marked toilet position IMO is a must to change but add info as to why not. Mark all measurements clearly too

Mellaf84 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Patricia Colwell Consulting, I just took the measurements and will sketch a plan. I don’t have the right paper but will be able to provide all the measurements, doorway and positions of toilet, shower and vanity.

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, I just added a sketch (see updated photos).

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I feel like there is a lot of wasted space in that bathroom!

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    3 years ago

I feel like there is a lot of wasted space in that bathroom!

If you sketch in the 36x42 shower and the vanity, it may not look like so much space.

Mellaf84 thanked Paul NY 5b-6a
  • decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I like this one. The door is a frameless bi-fold that pivots in and out of the shower (Aqua-Fold) You can get at Lowe's I think.

• claire larece
    3 years ago

Double vanity sinks start at 48" if you want something larger your going to have less than a 3 feet shower.

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste, great shower! I guess I would need a third wall? This one seems like a 3 sided enclosure (we only have the « L »).

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@claire larece yes we were going to go with a single sink. But now we are thinking we could perhaps move the shower to the right (where the toilet is) to have a nicer layout. We could move the toilet where the shower is, and have a much bigger vanity.

• claire larece
    3 years ago

yes that is what I was thinking as well. To take a portion of the four feet wall to extend a glass barrier

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Seems you're considering a rectangle, and that too would require you add a wall, wouldn't it?

• acm
    3 years ago

Neo-angles are very unpleasant to use. Get the rectangle, put the door at the rightmost end of the long wall (sliding probably easier to use than swinging), and make the vanity run from wall to shower enclosure -- looks like it might work fine with a 48" vanity, which would feel much roomier than what you have. Looks like you might even be able to put a tall slim linen-type tower at the end of the shower by the toilet!

Kohler Levity Sliding Shower Door, 74"x44.63"-47.63", Matte Nickel · More Info

Nautis Completely Frameless Hinged Shower Door, Frosted Glass, Chrome, 43"x72" · More Info

Mellaf84 thanked acm
  • petula67
    3 years ago

Bong the neo angle. They’re much less fun on the inside than the outside.

Mellaf84 thanked petula67
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste no if we put it in the left corner (where it is right now) we already have the corner walls so we would not need to add one. If we put it on the right we would have to bring the existing wall to the shower and to go into the wardrobe that is behind the toilet to have enough space...

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@acm yes looks like everyone is saying to let the neo-angle... we didn’t know if having a bigger rectangle shower the spot where it is right now would be too much « in your face » when you enter the bathroom? And sliding would work better but there doesn’t seem to be many with a 42‘’ shower. Is the door opens the vanity would probably be in the way?

• acm
    3 years ago

no more "in your face" than currently -- if you have a nice shower with tile that you like, then it's nice to have it be the main view.

note that I linked to a sliding door that's 43.5, but you'd need another wall. I imagine there will be enclosure options, but you might need something custom with a deeper wall and narrower door to clear the vanity.

• acm
    3 years ago

This looks perfect (and even economical):

Aston Moselle 44-48"x33 7/16"x75" Completely Frameless Sliding Shower Enclosure · More Info

Then you can use a tray base and some pleasant/elegant combination of tiles -- maybe an accent niche or a vertical stripe of something fun amid basic field tile.

Jupiter, Florida AFTER Bathroom Renovation · More Info

Sunnyvale Kitchen, Master Bath & Hall Bath · More Info

Shower Niche & Pebble Tile Accent · More Info

Coastal Craftsmen · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i would do a 48" vanity and then a pony wall w/glass for the shower. If you want a wide shower, you can bring it all the way out to the vanity,

If you went w/a 36" wide shower, no pony wall, and just glass, you could prob do a double vanity. or, have the space in between the two for a thin linen tower.

if you want to keep the corner, you could angle it like this one

Mellaf84 thanked Beth H. :
  • acm
    3 years ago

ugh, sorry, that was 48". here are some 43.

Unidoor Plus 43"Wx30 3/8" DFrameless Hinged Shower Enclosure, Brushed Nickel · More Info

Anyway, you may need it made to your needs, with a longer stable wall and a hinge on the outer corner, etc. But it should be possible. A glass co could probably make a sliding enclosure to 43" as well -- the 48" ones can be mounted down to 44, so just need a slight adjustment.

Mellaf84 thanked acm
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @acm! I was really thinking you found a sliding one at 43’’ that would have been perfect! I can’t find any. The problem with the opening door is of course the vanity in the way. I wish I could do custom like you said but it will be too costly... maybe there are some showers with the door opening on the narrow side?!

• acm
    3 years ago

I've seen showers that way, but not premade enclosures that way. would get tight with the toilet in your setup anyway...

Mellaf84 thanked acm
  • Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh okay thanks @acm. We took measurements to see what we could do if we reversed the shower and toilet (which of course is more $), and there would be even less space between the toilet and shower (unless for more $ again we push the wall back where the toilet currently and encroach in our only wardrobe in the master bedroom)... I hope theres another solution!

• Mellaf84
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Beth H. :! Yes I think we will do a 48’‘ vanity. I have a little girl who will eventually get ready there so she will need the space haha. But I still have an issue with my shower; we can’t do custom (budget) and I can’t find a shower with a door that slides that is max 42’’, or with a door that opens on the narrow side. :(