Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Have you ever used a hospice vet for your pet?

3katz4me
3 years ago

I wondered about hospice for pets a few years ago when one of my cats was dying. I looked into it at the time and found there is such a thing. So now my 20 year old cat is winding down and I am looking into this and wondering if anyone else has experience with it. Since my regular vet, that I normally love, is too busy to see my cat for over two weeks, I decided to look elsewhere. I don't care for the other vets in the practice and I don't care to sit in the car for 3-4 hours waiting to see someone in their after hours urgent care practice. I would also like to focus more on her quality of life and minimize the poking, prodding and pilling. I found a mobile vet (googled) who has a full service practice but is also certified in hospice care. I really liked the sound of everything she had to say on her website. I've submitted info to see her, hopefully this coming week.

Comments (15)

• girlnamedgalez8a
    3 years ago

My DD recently used a service like you describe. She was very pleased with the entire process.

3katz4me thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • maddielee
    3 years ago

If you think your pet needs hospice it might be time to let them go, isn’t it?

Why prolong their life? For you or for them?

It’s not easy, good luck in your decision.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Only you know when the time is right. I get it, been there.

3katz4me thanked maddielee
  • deegw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

When our dog was diagnosed with cancer we went to a cancer vet to find out about our options. The prognosis wasn't good so we just continued with our regular vet and we made a palliative care plan. Our vet office is small and we never had to wait more than a day for a visit for a pain med adjustment. Does your regular vet know that your cat isn't doing well?

3katz4me thanked deegw
  • 3katz4me
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes he knows - she was just there a couple weeks ago. I’m not sure what’s going on but I think they are very busy and not handling it very well.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Our vet was also able to do a pain management/palliative care plan for our black kitty. We were fortunate he could be controlled with gabapentin vs. using opioids. That is super hard because there are lots of regulations in our state for veterinary use of opioids.

Lap of Love, who did our home euthanasia, also does pet hospice. I think it's worth it to give the mobile vet a consultation.

3katz4me thanked gsciencechick
  • Moxie
    3 years ago

Home care is an excellent option when you don't think you'll need services that really need a clinical setting. Most mobile vets do have a relationship with a local animal hospital for things that aren't practical in a home setting. A friend was very happy with her mobile vet. Unfortunately, he's retired.

Doing a quick search of local mobile vets, I see that a vet who worked at a clinic I used to go to now has her own mobile business.

For help giving fluids, I had an excellent pet sitter who had worked at my current animal hospital. Not sure if she goes as far north as you are, but if you want her contact info, message me.

3katz4me thanked Moxie
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

fwiw, our vet office said they are busier now with CV and people working from home. I guess they are taking the time to make their pets appointments, and/or around their pets more so they see things that are wrong with them.

Sorry you are going through this. It is hard. I started using a mobile vet when we moved two years ago. She was wonderful. As (bad) luck would have it, we lost three pets in a year. She did at home euthanasia and if that can be considered wonderful, it was. Less stress for me and our pets. She has gone to work full time at one of our ERs, but said she would come back for that service when I needed for our remaining three. A local vet office bought her mobile unit, but they do not do at home euthanasia.

3katz4me thanked Allison0704
  • socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    3 years ago

We used a mobile vet when our previous dog was older because she got too anxious about car rides and the vet clinic. We even had an ultrasound done at home - the mobile vet had a relationship with a radiology specialty vet. When one morning it was clearly time for the end, the mobile vet was there for us that same afternoon.

3katz4me thanked socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
  • Bestyears
    3 years ago

Our oldest DD is a hospice vet, and loves her work. She explained to me that she provides in home care for all kinds of pets, many for years. For example, for animals who may not be dying, but who need pain management and getting them into the office is a struggle, home care is a great option. She also provides end of life care and is honored to help animals at that stage in their lives.

3katz4me thanked Bestyears
  • Bluebell66
    3 years ago

We have not but do have one standing by for when it's time in the next few months. Our hospice vet does in home euthanizations and provides pain meds if that is necessary, so that is the route we will go instead of going into the regular vet's office. Our vet is scheduling two weeks out right now and isn't taking anything emergent at this time, so that is our preference over the local emergency vet. Although knowing our luck we will need someone at 2am so in that case, we will go to the emergency vet.

3katz4me thanked Bluebell66
  • hcbm
    3 years ago

I used a home visit vet for my last cat. My cat hated the car and going to the vet and as she got older and sicker the Viet treated her at my home once and after a few weeks it was time and she came and euthanized her. She later sent a beautiful sympathy card. She is now caring for several of my friends pets in their homes. I can't recommend home care enough.

3katz4me thanked hcbm
  • Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

3Katz, I don’t have anything to contribute regarding your question, I just want to say that I’m sorry.

3katz4me thanked Lukki Irish
  • Peppapoodle
    3 years ago

We used a mobile vet for in-home euthanasia & it made a heart-breaking experience the best possible outcome. She came at 11p the day we called her. We have continued to use her for some things & our regular vet, whom we love also. Just went through a femur fracture/surgery w our puppy:(. Our regular vet & staff stayed after clinic to do his surgery.

Im sorry about your kitty. I think if you have access to in-home care, especially w an older cat- it’s a fantastic service to keep them comfortable & as stress-free as possible.

3katz4me thanked Peppapoodle
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH