Design dilemma bathroom floor

Shmoo

Sorry I don’t have a photo, trying to get a drawing. I want a purple master bathroom. Found a marble with purple veining. I have glossy black vanities and white quartz counter. Will tie in the purple with glass subway tiles (colors do work together irl) for short backsplash and in the shower with 2 horizontal lines at hip and shoulder height. No niche in the shower. I want the 12” hex floor (about 110 sq ft total), hubs prefers the squares because they’re cheaper. When we’ve seen these in the store, the hex has more color and variation. I’d use plain white marble on the shower walls So basically the only color will come from the floor and the glass tiles.

Too busy? I can do 2” hex or square mosaic on the shower floor (abt 34 sq ft). Shower has only 2 walls that meet in the corner, 2 glass walls obviously have no tile. Bench/knee wall will be the same quartz as the counters. Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Simplfy the concept. No Stripes in this bathroom. Your purple-veined material is the star of the show. It doesn't need something else to compete for attention. Subway tile seems too casual for this upscale bathroom IMO.

• Consider using the 12 x 12 on the floor and walls of the shower along with any seat inside the shower.
    • Use either 2" or 3" hex for the floor of the shower
    • Use the purple veined marble for the countertops as IMO the white quartz may just stand out too much in the space.

Shmoo thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Shmoo

Thanks Beverly. We have vanities across from each other so a pre-made top wasn’t available. We like the marble on either the floor or the wall, not both. I do see your point about the subway tile, what if it was vertical instead or horizontal? Like a tall this stripe of glass next to the shower heads on each wall?

bathroom design dilemmas

they are great ideas, thank you & really appreciate the changes you made to the floor plan -will print it out and show my husband. My only hesitation is that the back room is already quite large and we were thinking of using the lounge as the children's playroom and spare room. We need the front bedroom as and office / work space as I work from home. The smaller bedroom in the back is going to become a butlers pantry / euro laundry so that would only leave us two rooms - fine while my girls share but not if they suddenly decide they don't want to anymore. Also, with the sun tunnel and no external window, concerned about lack of ventilation.......any further thoughts? thanks again!

Design dilemma - two small bathrooms

i dont understand what you are trying to accomplish here....

Bathroom design dilemma

Buying some graph paper and drawing different layouts to discuss with our build team was very helpful for me. I’d recommend doing that if you don’t have a floor plan. We also taped out spaces to get a sense of measurements.

design dilemma for bathroom Reno

I would lose the corner tub but that is another thing I do not like subway tile in showers they have too many grout lines and I much prefer a larger format tile for both floors and shower walls. Look at porcelain tile in 12 x24 size and see if you find something you can use for all those things I do not see the waterproofing in your shower so that needs to be done for sure. Is that whole shower opening going to be glass ?
  • Nancy Walton

I don't think the purple subway tile would be a problem, but you have got to be committed to the color purple for as long as you own the house. I hve a daughter who loves purple, also, and I know she would love your ideas. I agree, though, that the stripes going horizontal don't sound like a good thing. I would run the purple tile vertically up the walls where the shower heads will be, making absolutely sure they are centered on the fixtures, as even a little deviance would show up. I agree with your husband--the square marble is the way to go. The 2" hex in the shower should be enough. The extra grout lines will give you better footing. Good luck!

Beth H. :

I like the Hex marble better than the 12x12.

Your second picture (showing the white tile? didn't load) unsure how you want to use the purple tile

are you using the Wisteria tile from Tilebar?

They also have this shade

and complimentary penny rounds. I love these colors

another option is to incorporate a soft lilac/pink

If all you want is the accent color, I'd use the purple pennies on the shower floor, and take them up vertically through the white wall tiles.

hard to find an exact pic, but on the order of these imagine the penny round shower floor, and then take it up the wall. you can choose where

You could do the stripe on the fixture side

you could even do them on a full wall (no niche,,,but a niche like this would look cool)

12x24 white lilac marble?

• john3582

This might be too much, but I saw this picture and I thought this was absolutely stunning.

Shmoo thanked john3582
  • Shmoo

I love it!

• RedRyder

Make sure to think this through. It can be a marvelous and unique bathroom. It it can also go too “over the top” and appear chaotic. Use the marble as the “star” of the room. On the floor would be striking.

Shmoo thanked RedRyder
  • Shmoo

John3582 you’ve saved my whole project! I found a distributor for that tile and it’s going to be fantastic. Thank you!

• john3582

I hope you love it. Please post pictures. I get a little excited when people choose color.

Shmoo thanked john3582
  • Chisos

following

• felizlady

Definitely use small 2”-3” mosaic tile with sanded grout on the shower floor to avoid any slipping in that soapy wet area. If the bathroom floor is polished marble, you will also need a non-slip-backed washable bathroom rug at the shower door. Safety first.
    I love the tile suggested by BeverlyFLADeziner...not as harsh as the big subway tiles.

Shmoo thanked felizlady
  • Shmoo

Felizlady, we will have 2” hexagon marble mosaic in the shower floor, and LIVE BY slipless rug outside the shower since time began😉. Pretty sure we’ve decided on the 12x24 marble for the floor of the room. Will do large white ceramic or porcelain on the shower Walls and the accent tiles John suggested for 4-6” backsplash, accent and niche in shower.

Couldn’t have figured it out without the kind people here.

Beth H. :

Encore has some amazing tiles and glazes. And they do custom blends.

So the Amethyst and the Eggplant can be combined in many diff shapes

(amethyst/thistle crackle glaze)

this is the 1x8 broken joint in the eggplant

they also have a matte lilac glaze

check w/encore and see if you can get some samples of their purple (amethyst/eggplant) glazes.

maybe they blend them into this herringbone mosaic which could be used as the small backsplash.

(This is called Rain, the color blend)

But done in the purple/lilac color crackle glazes, it would really be pretty.)

amethyst and this Thistle, blended in the above chevron. so pretty.

the one in that picture the other poster mentioned is a blend of those two glazes

2x6 staggered chevron.

• john3582

I actually have an amethyst door knob on my master bath. There is a place in California that makes doorknobs with delicious stone and some beautiful artglass. If I find pictures I'll post

• john3582

I have different door knobs on every door. Definitely not for resale. I love them. After our house fire. We had to completely rebuild. I discovered houzz and lots of stores on the internet. Also in a pissy mood so definitely spent to much. I'm amy glad to me you. I your bathroom will be fantastic.

• john3582

Beth, I had noticed Encore tiles when building our house. Your posts reminded me and that's when I saw the amethyst tile. We've been in our house 4 years now and still don't have a kitchen backsplash. Keep going back and forth. The encore is 100 a square foot at the one tile store that carries it near me. If I ever pull the trigger I figure the tile setter will double that price. Oh well. Thank you for encouraging color. I live in Minnesota and we're heading into winter so grey and white is going to be the only game in town outside for the next 6 months. Thanks Beth and Shmoo. You made my day

Shmoo thanked john3582
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)

I'm going to be very annoyed if you don't post updates on your beautiful, purple bathroom!

Shmoo thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • Shmoo

Thanks Beth, I’m obsessed with encore’s website and hope we can find a distributor in Tampa. That chevron is cool, and I saw a display of all the colors here in Chi and they are simply gorgeous in person.

• Shmoo

Friends, I’ve come back to ask more advice frI’m you all. We are closing in on finalizing details and getting ready to place orders. Unfortunately, the Encore tiles do NOT come in all the shapes and sizes shown in the photos IN THE AMETHYST. And they’re VERY expensive. But I love them. So I’d like your thoughts/input on a few ideas.

First, we will do 12x24 lilac marble on the floor of the entire bathroom. We will have shiny black floating vanities, on one wall at 66”, on the opposite wall at 99” long. Mirrors with led lights on both walls (48 and 72 respectively). Counters will be white Zeus quartz with white rectangular undermount sinks. Shower floor (54x72 ) will have matching 2” marble hexagon tile floor with a 26” seat/knee wall in the white quartz. Shower walls (2 walls only, other 2 are glass) will have white porcelain 12x24 tiles, probably vertically. There will be a niche in both walls close to the corner where they will almost meet.

So what is the issue you ask? It’s the accents. The Encore ceramic amethyst glaze are a hair larger than ~2x4. The wisteria glass that matches the marble gorgeously is also 2x4 but a tad short of the Encore. Would you/should we:

Do 3 horizontal layers of wisteria glass across the white walls, going through the niche for a continuous line?

Do the encore in 2 layers horizontally across the white walls, going through the niche for a continuous line?

In both above cases, there would be white showing in the niche above and below the line of tile.

Do either the encor or glass in the same horiz line but in the niche, fill up the entire niche with the tile (so the tile would appear above and below the line) and no white showing in the niche at all?

Do the encore all the way across, fill the niche with it, and use the glass to frame the niche interior.

And then for backsplash, do glass or encore depending on which we choose for the shower walls so it is all tied together.

OR put the hexagon from the floor in the full niche, with line or no line across. Frame or not the niche with the glass. Then do backsplash with just glass or just Encore?

FYI, the encore ceramic color varies, and the narrow trim around the color is actually an off white. I don’t think it’d be noticeable in the shower but could be next to the counter on the backsplash.

Easy, right? 😉. Thank you in advance for whatever time you spare!

Beth H. :

ok, you're going to have to do a drawing of what you're talking about, and show the tiles (or a pic of it) attached with it. It's way too much imagination to picture what you mean.

and to reiterate, horizontal accent lines usually look more dated than doing an accent wall, or a vertical strip. it just depends on the tiles involved.

so post a diagram of the accents youre talking about, with the tile you're talking about.

Shmoo thanked Beth H. :
  • Shmoo

Thanks Beth, I’ll try to get good photos for you.

Also, I’ve definitely taken your comments about horizontal lines to heart. A lot. But because neither of our shower heads will be centered, I was afraid it would look goofy. I’d want to do 2 of them one on each wall. One wall has the controls at the entrance so the shower head is moved inward a bit. Other wall has the bench so that shower head is moved in a bit too.

What would you think of doing vertical through the niche from the floor to the ceiling? I’m afraid the rest of the wall being white would be boring.

Beth H. :

I like that idea. and the vertical accent can be off center. have you look at pictures? try searching on google images, or even pinterest, shower wall accents, or something along those lines.

Shmoo thanked Beth H. :
  • thinkdesignlive

Really hard to comment without a plan. Also think about threshold material as that is a visual break from floor to shower floor and is ideally a solid continuous strip.

Shmoo thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Shmoo

Thinkdesignlive, the threshold will be white quartz, which is the knee wall and base for shower glass.

• felizlady

IMO, bathroom floors and especially shower floors are best if in a non-slip-finish tile with sanded grout. A bathroom is the last place you want to fall due to all the hard surfaces and edges. Safety first!! Our home bathrooms have non-slip stone-look porcelain mosaic tile floors. Even if they get dripped on they are not slippery.
    When I go to a hotel, I request a non-slip mat for the shower. If they don’t have them, I fold a bath towel and lay it on the shower floor. A slick porcelain tub or shower/tub combo is the most dangerous place in a hotel. Add a bit of shower gel
    and you have the recipe for disaster.