Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seattlegirl

Help Decorating Our New House in England

seattlegirl
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Our new house is a new-build with smaller rooms and an open plan combined kitchen/dining/family room. It also has a separate snug.

I'd like some design advice about storage and furniture layout, and whether our current furnishings will work in the space. Also suggestions about colors: I have to choose kitchen cabinet colours, floor colours, and paint colours next week! Here's a floor plan of the space and a VERY rough video walk through.

little thetford · More Info

Here's a photo from another house in the same development.

The floor plan for the kitchen/dining room/family room is slightly different & a little smaller - but gives an idea of the scale

The space needs:

• storage, storage, storage! - the kitchen is on the small side with limited storage, so I'd like to add as many cupboards/cabinets as possible.
  • an electric fireplace in at least one of the rooms. I have one in my lounge currently and love it. It has underfloor heating, so no need for radiators.
  • large collection of books - should these be in the open plan area or in the snug? I like the idea of a dining room library, but also like the idea of a book-lined, cozy snug.
  • cookbooks (a separate collection from the regular books) - in the open plan area near the kitchen
  • liquor/wine storage. Something like this would be great.

Eclectic Hall · More Info

• a small desk area in each space (ideally that can be folded or shut away when not working) Something like this if we can fit it in.

Concealed Desk Cupboard Workspace With Shelves · More Info

• a reasonable sized flatscreen tv in each room - not too big. But I hate tvs high on the wall above fireplaces.
  • dvds (in snug)
  • cds - on bookshelves currently, but can go into pullout drawers
  • is there room for a banquette/nook?
  • lighting. Above dining table, in sitting areas. Suggestions?
  • 2 bar stools for overhang at end of peninsula. I'd like a stool that swivels and has a back and armrests.

Furniture I already have that can be used in the space if possible:

• Hulsta sideboard (88.5" long x 18.5" deep, 29" tall) - light wood colour (birch). I'm wondering about using it as a tv stand?

Current House · More Info

• table 70" long x 32.25' wide - light wood colour (birch?)
  • six parsons chairs
  • Natuzzi sectional couch - it's huge 89' x 35" sofa plus with 71" x 35" right side return (106" x 89" total length when combined). Tan/camel colour. Is it too big for these spaces?
  • Would our full length curtains/pelmet work in the new space over the sliding doors? We have two sets of these in our current dining room french doors to the outdoors and our front living room.

We also have two sets of these full-length curtains in gray/blue with brown flowers.

I'm open to changing completely but if we can save money by re-using anything it would be great!

Other notes:

• We are budgeting for built-ins and I've found a talented carpenter who can build whatever we need.
  • As far as colours - I like grays, camel, rust, stone. Warm neutrals. I also like some teals, blue/grays, pinks, browns, chartreuse and some greens. I like F&B Elephant's Breath but have never used it.
  • I want the ceiling to be something other than white. Suggestions?
  • I've always wanted to try seagrass wallpaper.
  • I like L-shaped sectionals, nooks, and prefer informal, relaxed, cozy spaces. I want a peaceful, comfortable, lived-in space. I'm not a minimalist but I don't like seeing too much stuff. I like seeing books and favorite possessions but not a lot of clutter. I like shaker, Scandinavian, rustic, industrial and modern.
  • The house will be shared with my husband, our 10 month old Siberian Husky puppy and a cat.

I've attempted a draft layout as a starting point, but I don't know...

That's supposed to be a banquette between two cabinets. I was going for something like this, but I don't know if there is enough room.

Dart Studio | Roncesvalles Rowhouse · More Info

Or this, but less traditional/formal:

Dining · More Info

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

How about first supplying a floor plan large enough to read the dimensions of the rooms?

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If zooming on the floor plan doesn’t work to read dimensions, hopefully this photo helps.

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    3 years ago

I can read the dimensions, but I'm not sure that I understand the plan. It looks as if the utility room and half bath have no access from inside the house. And how will you use the snug?

In the LR/DR layout, it might be a tight squeeze around the end of the sectional. If this is true to scale, you might consider putting the short side of the L against the wall, or having the short side on the other end.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LR/Family Rm is 11’6” x 22’
    Snug is 11’0” x 15’11”.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Paul NY -
    You enter the powder room from the utility room.
    The snug will be a den/tv room/occasional office. Possibly a library if I put a bookshelves in there.
    Thanks so much.

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

You enter the powder room from the utility room.

Is there supposed to be a door from the kitchen into the utility room that I don't see on the plan?
    The snug will be a den/tv room/occasional office. Possibly a library if I put a bookshelves in there.

That's what the American architect Sarah Susanka, who designs small (but expensive) houses, calls an "away room." It's for whatever activities are incompatible with what might be taking place in the LR/DR ("family room" is what she calls it, but the function is the same). If there is a TV in the family room the away room might be for work at home, school homework, or anything that requires quiet. If there is a piano in the family room, the away room might be the TV room.

• lizziesma
    3 years ago

I find the banquette and dining set redundant. Maybe I misunderstand your plan.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi BeverlyFLADeziner.
    Thanks for the heads-up re the hard to read floor plan.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Paul NY
    Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Yes, that’s it. An “away room” is what I’m after. 👍🏽

Hmmm. I THOUGHT there was a door between the kitchen & utility room. I hadn’t noticed it wasn’t on the floor plan! I’ll check it out when I’m next there, thanks for flagging it.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi lizziesma

No, I think you’re right. It is redundant. And I don’t think it’ll fit in this space.

I’ve just always wanted a banquette and have clipped all these photos of them over the years... 😂.

Thanks for reviewing this and for your input.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Paul NY,
    Thanks for the sofa suggestions too. Good idea.

• er612
    3 years ago

Your options may be limited with your current sectional but definitely doable.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Er612

Good to know! Thanks so much for laying out those two options. It really helps me visualise it!

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beverly
    I like your ideas. We will look into a round table and reconsider the seating. Thanks for sharing your suggestions.

• Newideas
    3 years ago

Could you reverse the swing on the main entry door? Right now it opens into the wall instead of the hallway.

• seattlegirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Newideas
    Thanks, I’ll check with the builder.