Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Rugs: synthetic but natural looking

bbstx
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’ve hired a decorator to help fluff up my house. There are 2 rooms we are focusing on, LR and MBR. MBR is getting the biggest make-over, including a new rug. The decorator has suggested a jute/chenille rug for the bedroom. Nothing has been ordered yet.

The day after she was here, DH had a profuse nosebleed. Fortunately, he was in the guest room (MBR is out of commission while we await new bed). It took me quite a while to sponge the blood out of the linen bedskirt, but only 2 seconds to clean up the polypropylene rug. I got to thinking that if his nosebleed had happened on a jute/chenille rug, it would have been a goner.

Now I want a rug that looks like a natural fiber (jute, sisal, seagrass) and is SOFT to walk on but is made of polypropylene. I have found 2 sources, SisalRugs.com and ThePerfectRug has this one. Have you ever dealt with either of these companies? Do you have another source for natural fiber looking polypropylene rugs?

btw, I know using polypropylene is anathema to many. However, my needing easy clean-up overrides everything else.

Comments (11)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Can't help you with the specific rug, but will endorse olefin and or polypropylene for carpeting. I've used that in most of my house and have loved it for its fade and stain resistance.

Just be aware that it crushes easily so it's best as a low height carpet or one densely packed for a better look.

bbstx thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

The Perfect Rug seems to have a lot of good reviews on Site Jabber, I’d go with them.

Another fan of polypropylene in certain rooms. In fact, I’m waiting on this one for our kitchen (cabinets are knotty alder, the color should look great. I hope). Supposed to be here this weekend.

Keep us updated, I’d love to hear what you think if you order one of the jute looks! I have a real one I love (entry runner, 15 yrs old and going strong), but I’d be interested in a poly one, too.

bbstx thanked Jilly
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

Another fan of the poly rugs. We bought our first ones when the kids were little and we had huge dogs and put them in the foyer, laundry room and front hall. Those things lasted for years until we got a puppy who decided that the carpet fringe was delicious and then went on to chew the rugs. We replaced them with newer ones and when we moved gave them to the kids - they must be 20 years old by now. We bought them at Macy's, Orvis and even the big box stores.

I love the look of jute and sisal but would never buy them, they do absorb dirt, crumbs and liquid and some are not comfortable when bare foot. So if you find some please report back.

bbstx thanked maire_cate
  • Fori
    3 years ago

After spending some quality time with my dog I decided that I would save several thousand dollars and not get that nice rug for my living room until he's gone. I am very pleased with my cheap rug.

It's faux wool so not a replacement for sisal or jute and I don't know that you can get a decent looking faux grass rug. If you find one and it's actually soft, it seems like that would be a big deal that you must report on!

bbstx thanked Fori
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jinx, I’m unfamiliar with Site Jabber. Thanks for doing the legwork for me! Where is your rug from?

I’m going to order samples from Sisal Rugs and from The Perfect Rug. The decorator is coming this afternoon. I want to make sure I know what her vision is before I start ordering samples Willy-nilly.

Didn’t realize it would crush easily. I’ll keep that in mind.

Any other places I should look? I googled “sisal-look polypropylene“ to find the two places I mentioned. I tried looking on Overstock but quickly fell down a rabbit hole and lost my concentration.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Bb, ha, I totally agree about Overstock! Funnily enough, that’s where I ordered the nuLOOM rug above. I actually saw it on another site, then Overstock came up in a search ... and had the best deal. It’s the first time I’ve ever ordered anything from them. They’ve been great about shipping updates, etc so far.

bbstx thanked Jilly
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There was a young woman on here who bought a rug from Overstock that she first saw on Horchow. She said she saved a couple thousand dollars! It takes focus and perseverance!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Does anyone have experience with 100% polyester? This rug from RH looks pretty good. Do you think the style name, Rafina, is supposed to make us think of raffia?

• Lars
    3 years ago

The only thing I know about polyester is that if you wear the wrong shoes, you can experience static cling and getting shocked after you walk on it. I've had this experience with upholstery also and make sure I don't wear certain shoes with it, but we've gotten rid of that upholstered furniture anyway, which was a kind of chenille.

bbstx thanked Lars
  • ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

Do you read the Young House Love blog? They recently added a sisal-like rug on their stairs.

https://www.younghouselove.com/diy-sisal-stair-runner-install/