Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noami_santoslamb

help with pot bound Bird’s- nest fern

Hello I just got this bird’s- nest fern about 3 days ago and I noticed it’s súper door bound. I looks healthy and had some new leaves so I don’t think it has root rot. I Need help figuring out if I should re-pot it. And if I do, how to do that without harming the plants roots too much, and killing it.

Pleaseee help me I don’t want to kill it.

Comments (6)

• MA D
    3 years ago

I would most likely not repot it quite yet, give it a bit of time in its new residence. These guys can be a little melodramatic. If it’s seemingly healthy and still producing new leaves, it’s okay for now. You will likely have some really solid growth in the meantime. I have made many mistakes by repotting immediately after purchasing a new plant and caused undue stress. In fact, my biggest rookie mistake was the constant itch to repot at the first sign of roots.

With that said... You COULD definitely size up an inch or two when you’re ready to pot. I would pot in a loose peat based mix. (Or coco coir blend if you have any), and NOT disturb the roots, as they look fragile. I would plop that in a new pot with a 1/3 of soil and just fill the potting mixture around it and allow it to loosen on it’s on. It is not always necessary to loosen and spread the roots.. Unsure where you are in terms of humidity but I live in dry Colorado climate and use pebble trays for all my ferns and they respond very well. I have two birds nests in the shower l and they are very happy and have no crisping, which occurs easily in them. I hope this helps!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Like MA D, I also live in dry Colorado. I have found that a wicking system works well for ferns for me.

This Rabbit's Foot fern came in a handy wicking pot at Lowe's. I just put it in this Talenti jar where I can retain about an inch of water for the wick but not have the bottom of the pot touching.

I transplanted this Button Fern into this clear orchid pot, added a wick, and it sits in this glass vase with a water reservoir

This seems to be the only way I can keep ferns alive here in drysville.

• MA D
    3 years ago

Good call. Both of your ferns look fantastic! My little button fern is very sad right now and my rabbit foot is nowhere near this fluffy and green. (The latter was over potted and I’ve just been rolling with it) I have always shrugged off the moisture wicks for the sake of pot aesthetics but I definitely see the value and I’m going to give it a whirl. Thank you for sharing!

• Noami Santos-Lamb
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your replies! I will hold off on te potting and see how it does! I make my own potting mix from substrate, perlite, and orchid bark but I will get coco coir and add ir to the mix once it’s time to move to a new pot.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Naomi, my button fern is in a mix like you describe. Some potting soil, perlite and orchid bark. I just leaned a little heavier on the portion of potting soil with it than I do with my other plants (such as aroids or hoyas).

• Noami Santos-Lamb
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!