Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Pictures of early flowering sasanquas?

luis_pr
3 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of sasanqua varieties that are flowering now? I am looking for some to buy and thought some of you guys with cameras may be able to help me decide which one(s) to get.

If you have, please also tell me the name, your location and when did they start blooming for you?

Thanks in advance, Luis

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you are planning to buy them at a nearby outlet go look at what they have because you will be limited to that selection anyway - there is no point in going to a garden center armed with a list of cultivars learned about elsewhere only to discover they don't have most of them.

Where I am on the West Coast the supply of these particular plants tends to come primarily from Monrovia. So that what they are sending out is what will be encountered, in any given year.

https://plants.monrovia.com/search?w=camellia%20sasanqua

Of course, if you are planning to have certain kinds shipped to you from elsewhere that is different.

As far as checking regional performance goes there may be local publicly accessible plantings where Sasanqua camellias are on display, outstandingly successful individual kinds can be discovered. However as with soliciting comment from all over the web looking at what is present in nearby arboreta, botanic gardens and demonstration gardens may often result in the discovery that local vendors are not offering the same specific kinds at this time.

• luis_pr
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, I have several dozens already and am looking to add more but of the early flowering type... purchased either locally or by mail but not necessarily shipped now. I have already gone to local gardens and nurseries and inquired from mail vendors. Did you have any pictures of your early flowering ones?

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Setsugekka, Northern Lights, Apple Blossom, and hiemalis Hiryu

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

These are all from my earliest bloomer, which opened its first bud 9/12/20 this year. It sometimes starts in August. I bought it at the local farmer’s market as Kanjiro, but I think it is Slim and Trim. The foliage is quite small, even for sasanquas. In general, flowers are not magenta or chartreuse, but a paler and cooler pink.

• luis_pr
    Original Author
    3 years ago

undertheoaks, my Kanjiro has slightly bigger leaves so you may be right but, wow, you know what, I like the contrast between the pink unopened flower bud in Picture 2 of Slim&Trim against the lighter green foliage of whatever that other plant is. And your Setsu reminds of a White By the Gate (a japonica with formal double blooms) but blooms much later. Thanks for sharing.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Luis, the light green plant is Illicium 'Florida Sunshine'. I love it next to the dark green foliage of camellias.

luis_pr thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago

Luis, why don't you tell us where YOU live? Then people can make suggestions.

luis_pr thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • luis_pr
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, man. Looks like Houzz has made some changes as that zone/location information is not displaying any more. It used to show Hurst, TX and Zone 7b/8a. Your info displays that but everyone else's does not. What's up with that??? Hmmm..... I sent them a complaint.

PS - I just noticed that on October 6, I posted a comment elsewhere and it currently shows the location and zone information but in this forum, this post does not!

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Hiryu, last of Northern Lights, Apple Blossom, and NOID stowaway in Apple Blossom’s pot.

luis_pr thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions