I feel lost with my kitchen design, please help!

HU-16337133

We are building our kitchen from scratch and althoug i have several renders from my kitchen provider we dont feel 100% convinced regarding color and design combination with countertops and backsplash.

The kitchen is small (you can see the plan attached) so we followed the recommendation to go with white or light colors, but i dont want my kitchen to look too simple 😭 I want it modern and elegant. So i dont know if move to dark topo and nogal wood.

We will have light wood floors (one of the image attache), and the proposal so far is matte white or moccaccino cabinets with frosty carrina from CaesarStone or Calacatta Nebbia from Color Surfaces backsplash and countertops.

what do you think? Would you recommend another color combination?

I am attaching renders and photos from the space.

First you get an actual kitchen designer not some cabinet salesperson . If you want help from here you need to post a to scale floor plan showing all walls windows doorways and the plumbing if it can’t be moved. You also need to supply appliance sizes . I will say in a small space I would not do wall ovens and a cooktop just do a range. Is this a house or an apartment? We need info also.

Please help on designing my kitchen I am still struggling

Okay... where do I begin? I see several issues a first glance. The fridge should NEVER be next to an oven or any appliance that emits heat. On the cabinet molding detail I would say ALL of NONE (do not mix a shaker doors with a traditional molding details on the door faces. Your island cook top area steps down from 36"h to 30"h... if the 30"h areas is a prep area and will have people sitting there - keep the first aid kit handy... some one is bound to get burned. Instead, make the prep area bar height, think of it this way - higher is better as you get older. Also, the dishwasher might feel more natural on the right of the sink if you load with your right hand. Kitchens are basically designed on a triangular platform (draw a line from the fridge, to the sink, to the range/oven/appliance that emits heat, and back to the fridge - you should have drawn a triangle each time). I'll leave you with this thought... rethink it again or call in the Calvary!

Please help with design, I am lost

Can you put elfa shelves (many configurations, and currently on sale) on the two sides, and how about putting in clothing rods in the back? Or how about something like the ikea wall shoe storage on both sides, and a stacked clothing hanging system in the back? (so the clothes rack in the back, and the shoe storage to the sides)

HELP PLEASE I am trying to design an island in my kitchen/dining room

You do need to post a floor plan with doors / windows and counters. This is a very small space for an island, but it might fit depending on the layout........ However, it is extremely doubtful that it will seat 6.......

I Need help with my design ... I feel like something is missing :(

Those green walls need to be painted a more neutral color that will match with that brick fireplace. You need an area rug to soften the room. That African style artwork does not match that space. And those pillows are way too colorful and busy. Take the colors from the fireplace as your lead on colors for that room.
  • cawaps

That is a very narrow aisle. Do you need counter seating? Because if I could, I would get rid the overhang and move the peninsula back to make more floorspace in the kitchen.

I think the light colors work. You could add interest with different pendants. Are there going to be knobs or pulls for the cabinets? That's another place to add interest.

• JuneKnow

With actual numbers, code required clearances, appliance specs, and safety measures input into that, no, it won’t work. It’s a pretty fantasy that will scorch and turn brown, have glasses fall of the counter, won't allow the fridge to open, won’t ventilate it’s capture cooking byproducts, and only has room for one small person. But no room for that person to cook. Just to raid the fridge and the get burned taking stuff out of the MW, because there’s not a safe landing space. And there’s no prep space to cook. .

Thanks for your answers i am attaching the área map and some photos. I hope you can help me with your advise on layout.

Is a house but the kitchen and dining área are small, the kitchen was closed so we open the wall to have continuity. And we would love to have a breakfast bar which is the area you see on the proposal.

The pink line is where the breakfast bar would be.

The blue line is a door to a service area and the yellow line is a window.

The appliances we have also attached.

i really appreciate your help.

Plumbing can still be modified (Gas and water)

Yanin

@cawaps @Patricia Colwell Consulting

Btw i had no idea about quartz on backsplash 😰

The aisle is of 80 cm between the refrigerator and the opposite cabinets and of 90 cm between the hob and the sink

we know is a very narrow aisle but we think we dont have a lot of option 🥴

• JuneKnow

80 cm isn’t big enough to get a fridge in and out. You’d have to build the kitchen around the fridge and hope it never conks out and needs replacing. Or you’d have to disassemble the kitchen to swap it out. It’s unworkable.

Completely stop and start over. You cannot move forward with a kitchen that cannot physically work.

Even if the fridge is 74cm depth? 😣 @JuneKnow

• latifolia

You have been given good advice: ignore it at your peril. You want an elegant, open space, but have designed a cramped, unworkable kitchen.

The pink area is a real problem. Every aisle needs to be at least 1 meter, and that entry should be bigger. People will congregate there and no one will be able to pass by.

Have you already purchased the appliances? You need ones sized for apartments. A 60 cm. range is your best bet.

Stop focusing on the finishes and re-work the layout.

@latifolia do you think another configuration would be possible? I think in fact we have appliances for apartment 🥴 The fridge was one of the smallest for 4 people.

• latifolia

We lived in a European apartment for fifteen years, so I know the compromises involved with a small kitchen. To me, it seems that the computer program is making your space look larger than it is.

You might get some large moving boxes and put them exactly where your designer is proposing your cabinets. Remember that countertops overhang the cabinets by about 25 mm, so you lose almost 5 cm.

The French door fridge is a great idea because the door doesn't open as wide. Can you find a taller, counter-depth one?

The advantage of a range is it doesn't take up counter space like a wall oven does. That might give you enough space to squeeze in a pantry cabinet. Will you have a dishwasher? If so, you may be able to get by with a single bowl sink.

@latifolia yes! French door allows me to open even in a 80cm aisle However @JuneKnow is right, is not practical 😥

What do you mean with a range? I have the oven already

About the sink, the idea is a single bowl in fact

i think the question would be how to adapt a bar 😢 or where to put the sink if i dont have the península

• Buehl

Actually, even 1m is too narrow for an aisle (that's 39-1/3") Aisles should be at least 107cm (42").

To be blunt, you don't have room for a peninsula with seating. Even without, it cannot be very wide or deep. Instead, create an "L" along the left & bottom walls and keep seating in the Dining Room at a table. Your space is so small that even from the Dining Room people will be able to easily visit with you while you're working in the Kitchen. Trying to cram seating into a small space is going to result in a very cramped home. Is that what you want? Breakfast bars, peninsulas with seating, islands, etc., need more space than what you have. I know they're all the rage, at least here in the USA, but not all Kitchens can support them. Perhaps if you took that wall b/w the Dining Room & Kitchen down completely and sacrificed your Dining Room table, you might be able to fit it, but table seating is much more comfortable than bar seating when eating a meal. Tables are also more conducive to family meals and family bonding.

Other suggestions:

• Reduce the sink to 685mm or 762mm or whatever is closest (27" or 30")
    • Get a range instead of a cooktop + oven. You cannot afford the space separate appliances take up.

Something like this:

Note: The dimensions on your layout are difficult to read. They're blurry and too light against a rather dark background and, in some cases, overwritten by either other dimensions or notes. I hope I've read them correctly.

Appliances:

• 27"W x 27"D range
    • 27"W hood
    • 18"W DW
    • 33"W x 20"D counter-depth refrigerator

The dimensions are all in inches, but they should give you an idea of what will fit.

• doods

Not a pro... could you not flip kitchen and dining area?

@Buehl i was exactly thiking something similar

i was thinking the cream rectangle could be a small bar (with no cabinets below) Like the next photo And the blue rectangle on the dining could be a vitrine with the same material than the kitchen Also like the next photo.

And the Orange cabinets but around 40cm

What do you think?

• Buehl

The refrigerator cannot be next to the wall like you show. You need 6 or 7 inches b/w the wall and refrigerator to allow the doors to open fully for access and cleaning.

The bar you show in the upper right, across from the refrigerator, cannot be any more than 9 or 10 inches deep. You need a minimum of a 42-inch aisle b/w the refrigerator and the counter edge across the aisle. Remember, too, that with the exterior door there, that will be a busy aisle. Normally, I wouldn't put anything there, but you need additional storage space for pots/pans, prepping tools/bowls, small appliance, etc., so the shallow bases + uppers provide it inside the Kitchen where you need it most.

You need workspace b/w the sink and corner. 36" is the minimum, but there's no way that's going to happen, so you will need to utilize the space around the corner b/w the corner and range.

You also need at least 42" b/w the wall and the end of your peninsula. If you really want counter seating, then you will have to extend into the Dining Room, there isn't enough space to put it in the Kitchen like you show. Any counter there will make it very difficult to access cabinets (or DW) that are along the wall and under the counter. Even in the pic you posted, those cabs will not be easily accessed. It would be one thing if you had a lot of storage space elsewhere and could afford to void out that corner, but you don't.

Maybe you could get a portable island with a small "perch" overhang that is drop-leaf. It could be stored in a corner in the Dining Room when not in use.

Honestly? You're trying to cram a lot into a small space. Your Dining Room is so close that it doesn't make sense to provide counter seating when it doesn't really fit. I don't know if you even have room for a table + counter seating like you show. You need 60" b/w the table and counter with seating (48" to 54" if no seats at the counter). You also need at least 36" b/w the table and each wall...and that's just for people to slide/squeeze by the seats when someone is seated there.

The vitrine...I would not put a vitrine there unless you are obsessive about keeping the inside very, very neat. Note that in the pic you posted it's not used for real storage, it's used for displaying a few items. What you need is pantry/food storage. Make that a series of shallow, tall pantry cabinets and you'll be much happier in the long run.

I don't think the layout you posted is true to the spacing, unless I read the measurements incorrectly (which is possible since they were blurry and difficult to decipher).

In the end, it's up to you. All we can do is give you advice. It's your Kitchen, so do what you want in the end. At least when you decide what to do you will be making an informed decision based on the pros/cons we've mentioned here and you will go in with your eyes open knowing what you're sacrificing to get your "wants/nice to haves" (as opposed to "needs").

Good luck!

• Fred Red

My 2 cents, good luck.

Thanks @Fred Red