mattlauriem123

Balboa Mist purple undertones help!

Laurie M

I recently painted my dining room Balboa Mist and loved it so decided to paint the adjacent kitchen the same color, but it looks slightly lavender. We are painting the oak cabinets and trim Simply White and getting new flooring soon so wondering if we can downplay the lavender by changing these things? We are also going to try different light bulbs as it’s really noticeable at night. I know we went about these changes all wrong and should’ve started with flooring and then cabinets but wanted the walls to match since the dining room and kitchen are right next to each other. I’m also painting the hutch in the dining room since it clashes. Can anyone offer any advice?

• Laurie M

I keep trying to add photos but it’s not working for some reason.

What are you looking to do with this space? A full remodel?

Need help to remodel my carpet stairs.

Pictures of the existing project/colours are always helpful, but I think if you are planning on painting the risers, go with either a cream or grey to echo the flooring and match/coordinate with the other painted surfaces in the house. For the treads I would suggest either an oak or maple (depending on the wood grain style you prefer) and staining them a darker tone to compliment the other wood tones. Don't forget to think about the railing and newel post too! Here is a picture of a stair with white risers and wood treads to give you a general idea of the look: Good luck!

Need help with baby room - wall paint color

I would paint the walls "decorator white" Benjamin Moore and then do a stripe on the wall, either a band of orange at the top or you could do a wall in white and blue stripes. Or paint the walls a light grey with bands of navy and blues and greys on the center of a wall.

BM Sheep's Wool or Balboa Mist?

on the fandeck, sheep's wool is lighter but balboa mist is greyer. our very large and high master bedroom is balboa mist and it never feels heavy, but at the end of the day you have to decide if you want beige or grey. when you look at a paint color on a strip, look all the way down to the bottom of the strip to see what the color will look like 'when its all grown up'. thats where you can see the undertones. (BM historic colors (HC) don't work that way. the colors within a strip are independent of each other).

Balboa Mist, Abalone, or Classic Gray

Do samples of the Balboa Mist first. I absolutely love that color but it turned a cold blue in my north facing kitchen. I ended up using Wind's Breath which is slightly warmer (though sometimes I do see a hint of peach with it)
  • Laurie M

In the kitchen, we are going to replace the floor and paint the cabinets and trim Simply White.

Amazing I think that’ll be great! Also some nice hardware will go very far in this space as well as window treatments and lighting ☺️
    Can’t wait to see!!

• mdefree

Balboa Mist has slight purple undertones. Balboa Mist is a gorgeous color and with your white cabinets you will love it more! I would encourage you maybe check into sw pure white or BM oxford white than simply white.

• Laurie M

I will look into those whites thank you! Do you think the white will pull the grey out more than the lavender? I was thinking nickel hardware would look nice and a darker floor, maybe darker brown or a mix of grey and brown.

Anything can go with white cabinets.
    I happen to love gold!! Flooring sounds good. I’m thinking mix of gay and light brown sounds nicer

• Laurie M

Thank you I think a mixture would go better especially since we have brown laminate in the living room that is right next to dining and kitchen (it’s a trilevel).

O ok got it. Sounds like you know a lot
    Of what your doing!! 👍👍👍

• Laurie M

Thanks but not feeling very confident now that the Balboa Mist turned out so differently in my kitchen compared to my dining room!

Its funny because I’m the picture I happen to not see much lavender but of the two I’d say the DR is more lacendary I think any doubts of the kitchen color will go away after painting it white. 🤞🤞🤞

• MarleneM

Hi Laurie, balboa mist is a nice colour, but it does have a slight purple undertone. It is not as noticeable in rooms that have brighter warmer natural light as in south facing rooms, so this can be why you’re driving a difference between kitchen and dining room. Does your kitchen face north or northeast by chance?
    I think you should continue on with getting rid of all the yellow toned wood and replacing floor as this will help. If it’s possible to do, you may want to look into adding more lighting to kitchen. Adding recessed lights would help a lot. I’m including an article below that you may find informative.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-gray-walls-look-less-purple-105492.html

• Laurie M

HU-187528210 - thank you! I’m thinking the white cabinets will help a lot too.

Marlene - it’s interesting because the dining room is east facing, but there’s a large window. The kitchen is south facing, but just one window so not as much light. We just ordered new bulbs for our track lighting that are 4,000K after researching light temperatures and will see if that helps. We may need more lighting as I always seem to want to turn the light on and it’s already on ha! Excited to paint the cabinets and see if that helps. The article you included was very interesting and informative thank you so much. I have a lot to learn!

I really appreciate the input! My husband‘s eyes are starting to glaze over when I talk to him about these things! :)

• sar555000

Consider that you are working with yellow-orange oak or pine furniture too. Which makes gray nearly the worst choice for walls, purple undertone or not. Light bulbs are not the problem. Your paint color is. Check maria killam web site for advice on this issue. Or some of the other great color advice web sites.

• Laurie M

Thanks, I will look at that website! It will be a relief to get the cabinets painted. I'm doubting if white is the right way to go, but we will just try a few cabinet doors and assess. Thanks for the input!

• Marylee H

https://campchroma.com/balboa-mist-oc-27-benjamin-moore/

An objective analysis of Balboa Mist.

• Laurie M

That was so fun to read thank you!

• Marylee H

• Marylee H

• Marylee H

• yeh_yeh

I have Balboa Mist throughout all the common area, Simply White for all ceiling and all trims/doors, my kitchen cabinets are in a standard white from the factory that is almost identical to Simply White (I was going to do custom color with Simply White but it was so closed that I just went with the standard white), and light oak flooring. Like others have said, Balboa Mist does have a slight purple undertone but I don't notice too much of it in my home. I have recessed light in 3000K throughout the house. I think my Simply White ceiling reflects more light and probably makes the purple undertone less noticeable. Simply White is a warm white and goes very well with all my 4 gray paints in the house (Balboa Mist, Classic Gray, Shoreline, Silver Satin). I would recommend wait til after you repaint the cabinet to see how it turns out. I think if you use a flooring that's less yellow and more light brown will help tone things down too. Good luck!

• Laurie M

Thank you, Marylee and yeh-yeh! Thats reassuring to hear the Simply White goes well. I do like the idea of a light brown floor but not sure how we will tie in with the adjoining entryway and living room that’s laminate oak with yellow tones yikes. Will do cabinets and trim and then do flooring last. May look at vinyl flooring and laminate because if cost restraints.

• Marylee H

I have to say that personally I wouldn’t team Balboa Mist & Simply White, for the reason mentioned above, in that they don’t have quite enough difference in Chroma to make each feel the most fresh next to the other.

Working with a minimum difference in Chroma of 0.2 helps with contrast. That and the fact that Balboa Mist shifts purplish for you at times, would mke me seek an alternative in that space.

• Laurie M

Thanks for the nudge, Marylee. I'm going to order the BM Oxford White, SW Pure White and BM Simply White Samplize samples unless it's looking like shipping will take too long in which case I'll order samples. Better to be sure. :)

• kasmit00

same thing happened to me, I painted my room balboa mist (but lightened it 50%) because the room is dark. now it looks lavender to me. I want something that is a very light greige without the purple undertone :-(

• Marylee H

Hi - if you are still committed to Balboa Mist, check the Chroma of the white colours you are thinking of sampling. You are looking for that minimum difference of 0.2. between them So a Chroma less than 0.42 or more than 0.82

Kasmit00 - if you are getting flashes of purple colour shift with Balboa Mist, it‘s worth moving further clockwise on the Color Wheel away from that Hue Family neighbourhood. Sometimes even a few degrees will do it.

If you are also finding it too dark then you are looking for a colour with a Value higher than 8.40 also.

• Marylee H

Lighter than Balboa Mist, further clockwise than Balboa Mist, only testing in your space will decide whether that is enough of a move to minimise the purple colour shift.

• Laurie M

I just read all about hue, value and chroma. I literally don’t know anything about color but learned something about it today - at least a little bit! Looks like the BM Oxford White might work since the chroma is .35. The SW Pure White is .44 do not quite the -.2. Thank you!

• Marylee H

Isn’t it useful to be able to zoom in upon different colour attributes? 🌈

Included here are a few more whites which fit the 0.2 difference.

• Marylee H

If you find Oxford White looks at all green or blueish, consider BM OC-151 White, PPG Delicate White or SW Extra White.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

The reason for your dilemma is that you are not approaching the job in the right order. You should start with the most permanent items and work from there. It's infinitely easier to select a paint color after changing the flooring and cabinetry than the other way around. Your flooring choices may be in the range of 5 or 10, but wall color choices are in the thousands. Painting the cabinets is a big job for a professional, and costs thousands of dollars, but you can do the walls yourself for next to nothing. And cabinets dominate a kitchen, so their color is more important than the wall color.

That is why you select wall color last. And have all the adjacent colors in place when you select the wall color, since all colors are affected by anything surrounding them, including what's outside your windows. Lastly, you need to test out the colors in your room, with your lighting, during different times of day and night, because as you have seen, what looks good in one room can look vastly different in another room. This is especially true of neutrals, as you can see from Mary Lee's posts, their underlying hue can skew to a totally different color depending on the light (color inconstancy).

My advice would be to hold off on painting the kitchen until the other projects are done.

• Laurie M

Thanks, Marylee, I do see OC-151 and SW Extra White in a lot of blogs. I definitely won't want greenish or bluish!

Diana - thank you so much for your input, and I agree with you, but doing things backwards because filling the wood grain and painting the cabinets is going to be a project for my hubby the next few months, and we won't have money for the flooring until after Christmas unfortunately. I know it seems ludicrous to possibly end up changing the paint color after we paint the cabinets and replace the flooring even though we centered everything around that in the first place. This morphed into a bigger project after just painting our dining room last May during quarantine and then deciding to change everything. I appreciate your good advice and will hope we have a happy ending. :)

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

I get it, Laurie, things take an unexpected turn sometimes and we must adjust. Good luck with your project!

• Laurie M

Thank you, Diana. :)