Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_lee119

Where would you place the fridge in this kitchen?

sam lee
3 years ago

Hello Guys,

I'm hoping to get some opinions on what I could do to make my kitchen layout more functional. Specifically, I could use some input on where to place the fridge. In the current spot, the fridge seems to make the kitchen more narrow than it already is. Also don't want to put it next to the countertop as there is a window there that lets in much needed light. I'm thinking there has to be a better way, I just can't think of any.

Also as you can see the kitchen is slightly outdated, I plan to DIY most of the light work such as flooring, backsplash, etc. For budget reasons, I'm not wanting to knock down any walls or reroute gas lines if I don't really have to. I do not have much experience in home remodeling or design so any input from you all would be awesome.

Comments (73)

• dejavudes
    3 years ago

A counter depth fridge would be number one in my opinion regardless of all else.

sam lee thanked dejavudes
  • sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Andrea Morrell USDA Z5 / CAD 5B Interesting input, if I can achieve better sight lines by just moving a few pieces around, I'm definitely gonna give it a shot.

-D/W is portable, I can probably get rid of it if need be.

-At the moment, not 100% sure if the fridge water dispenser is connected but I doubt it. I don't see any water connections on that side of the wall. Will check this.

-The grey box thing is like a cable connection, I don't think I really need it.

I know its not exactly professional but is this "blueprint" useful for you guys? The entire kitchen size is about 97in X 177in. Countertop is 22in X 112in.

@howistyle Thx for you input as well, I definitely want to keep the sink window, kind of a sucker for light. Which entryway would you close?

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-187528210 thx for you comments! I like the look of cement too, does the material stand up to normal everyday use?

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@felizlady I definitely want to keep the cost as minimal as possible. Aside from a full blown remodel, if something can produce a good effect, I would consider it. What type of floors would you consider? I might be overthinking, but should the flooring in the rest of the house factor into the decision of the kitchen floors?

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@anjiz yeah the 3 doors here is making it tough for sure. Does this help? If we need actual scale drawings, I will have to figure out how to do that. Also here is a pic of the area surrounding the kitchen.

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Maureen thx for the comments, I'm really liking the open shelving..seems like it would make the kitchen more spacious. And the subway tiles are definitely coming haha

• howistyle
    3 years ago

Thanks for the floor plan Sam, I'm sure the kitchen gurus on this site can assist with this additional info. For sure live in the space for awhile to get a better sense of the overall flow and what works for you and how you cook. At first glance I would be tempted to close up the doorway off the front entrance and look at doing a larger cased opening between the kitchen and dining area. It looks like that room and living area both have large windows and if you like natural light, that will help pull even more light into the kitchen. Start searching Houzz photos for small kitchen ideas and start saving pics that you are drawn too. One thing to consider with your gas stove, it would be much better to move that to an outside wall so you can vent the exhaust outside. Not sure where what looks to be a very tiny vent above your stove goes to now, but if you like to cook, that would be what I would focus on changing first. Keep us posted on your progress and congratulations!

sam lee thanked howistyle
  • sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm honestly surprised at all the love the blue kitchen tiles are getting. Since you guys are so into it, just for kicks...here is a pic of the bathroom!

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@thinkdesignlive thx for the solid advice! I think I will actually tape off that doorway and see how it feels

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I love the bathroom - the kitchen not so much. I can’t see past the poor layout to love that tile.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

And yes your floor is drab but it looks like newer vinyl tile - yes? I wouldn’t spend one cent on the floor until you hash out the layout. Even buying a counter-depth fridge right away could be a mistake. Because if you do decide to tweak the layout you may be disappointed in the size you bought if it limits your ability to improve the layout.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Flooring in the kitchen doesn’t have to match the rest of the house, but it would look best if it is similar in color or at least isn’t too bold next to the other flooring. There is some good quality vinyl flooring available these days. The first thing you need to do is make a to-scale drawing of the kitchen space on graph paper and finalize the layout of the kitchen. You didn’t show us what is at the far end of the sink wall beyond the window: would that be an area for a table and chairs?

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

@sam lee. I don’t see why the cement won’t stand up to daily usage. I also like the bathroom. I think with little work it will look awesome

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@houssaon this is genius, I'm really feeling it. Seems like this would allow for more functional space without needing to reduce any entry ways. I'd have to see how much this will cost but seems like a great option. And thx for drawing up too!

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@thinkdesignlive @felizlady totally agree with you, will try not to spend a penny until I figure out the layout of it all

• anjiz
    3 years ago

Sam, I am certainly not one of the kitchen designers I was talking about, but I would continue the straight run of cabinets underneath the window as I showed in blue. Without the trim, I think you’ll be able to get by underneath the window. Then you can decide to close the door marked in a green X (or not). You will have to walk a bit further to the dining room, but you can then have a continuous run of cabinets on the opposite side as well, making this a galley kitchen. Not sure you want to mess with adding new cabinets to the old though? At that point it may make more sense to just do all new cabinets throughout.

• Trem Wills
    3 years ago

I’d be in the camp to close entry to dining too. You could get a nice galley kitchen out of that. Good luck!

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@anjiz not a bad idea either..pondering

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

What about moving the doorway in the front hall to the middle of that 97 inch run. Cabinets/counters are 25 inches deep - if the entry point was somewhat centered, you'd be able to have cabinetry on both sides.

sam lee thanked Design Girl
  • Abigail Hummer
    3 years ago

I like the idea of living in it. For example, see how you bring in groceries. My last house always through garage, this house - opposite, through front door. that will tell you where you would be most pleased with closing one of those 3 entries, then adjust from there. I enjoy the charm of your older home! keep us updated.

sam lee thanked Abigail Hummer
  • sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl I see where you’re going with it. I will have to play around with what Id want to place on each side, but will give definitely give your Idea some thought

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I agree, Design Girl, move the entry door to the middle is a more flexible option. A counter height table could be used by the window with stools tucked under.

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl @houssaon this does look pretty good to me, thanks so much for suggesting. Definitely going to explore this

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@sam lee - In looking at a long range plan, can you tell me what the black areas in your whole house diagram are. There seem to be several black areas where it looks like the house is not connected. For instance, there is a small black rectangle on the left of the foyer (closet)?- There is also a black rectangle in one of the bedrooms (closet?) and another black section where it looks like there is a space between what could be two bedrooms. If you could better explain the layout, it would help us give you better ideas for a long range plan for your home. I wouldn't want you to do something to the kitchen, when something else would be better for the long haul. How long do you plan to live in the home? A few changes could really help the overall flow.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Not generally done, but you could reverse the swing of the garage door so it opens into the garage and doesn't risk interfering with what's going on in the kitchen. That space right of the range could be handy as a custom pullout for utensils as shown on the left here - just a little splurge!

Amherst Kitchen pull-outs · More Info

Unless you discover that you're more prone to bring groceries in from the front door, I might just remove that door into the foyer. With only the dining and garage doors, and since you obviously have hot and cold water lines for the fridge and dish washer, your options would open up for the foyer end of the space. Can you get by with a smaller fridge?

Condo Remodel, Washington DC · More Info

Here's a beautiful galley

apartamento residencial l vila olimpia · More Info

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl Yup you are spot on, any black space within the house is a closet. Here are some screenshots of the whole house. Feel free to make any suggestions :-) Taking all the pro bono advice I can get!

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste funny you mention this, my father suggested the same thing about the door. Do you think it still makes sense if the other side of door has 3-4 steps down?

Thanks for the pics, yeah I'll probably save up for one of those counter depth fridges which seems like it would fit well. The dishwasher is actually not hooked up its one of the portable ones

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@sam lee - Can you give us some measurements of the wall with the windows. In other words, how much room (inches) do we have from the wall with the garage door, to the window over the sink, and the other window on that wall. We need this to layout a better functioning kitchen. Also how wide are the windows (include trim in this number). I'd also like the measurement of the dining room. How far down can you move the doorway into the dining room before you hit what looks like a support beam. Trying to figure out how much room (inches) you will have on that wall where the stove is if you move the dining room doorway to the left. My thoughts are that the larger window closest ot the front door will need to be changed to allow cabinets and counter below. Thanks.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I was looking for wheels on that DW. My mom had one. Is the fridge ice maker not hooked up either? Are you referencing the garage having steps? I'd be more concerned about the door hitting the car parked there.

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl unfortunately I don't have most of those measurements at moment, will have to measure this wknd will I go. I know the dining rooms is 100in from patio door to the opposite wall. The dining entry door to that beam...is about 20 inches roughly I'd say

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste Not 100% sure about the fridge water/ice hook ups...but I doubt they are..there is no water connection on that wall as far I can tell. I will check that this wknd as well. Yes there are a few steps from that door to the garage, I would have to be there to experiment a little to see if it can hit the car. My dad is on board with the idea though haha

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

The steps might just provide the distance you need for the door swing not to hit the car!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I don't think changing the swing of the garage door is a good idea. Especially if there are steps involved.

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl check it out, would love to hear any suggestions you have

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like it didn't attach earlier

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

Perhaps, least expensive option. (1) add countertop and (2) move fridge.

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@MDLN thanks for the suggestion, I am pondering...what would you put opposite of the counters?

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did some measurements and taped off current doorway yesterday. With door moved to the center I can still fit normal sized refrigerators on the non window side

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• houssaon
    3 years ago

That will solve one problem. I like have space on either side of the range, which is why I suggested moving the open to the dining, too. But if budget doesn't allow, just having the front entry moved will be a big plus.

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@houssaon i actually taped that too, check out the opposite side

• sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And here is shot of whole room for context

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

This is very rough as you didn't post an actual to scale drawing of the current space. It would require moving the doorway that leads into the dining room as close to the beam that separates the LR/DR. I really think that in able to get something functional, you'll have to replace the kitchen window closest to the front door with one that will allow cabinetry underneath.

sam lee thanked Design Girl
  • sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl ty this is still helpful. What is the thought behind swapping the fridge and stove placement? I was thinking I’d just move the fridge more to the left if that doorway is centered

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

Since you don't have a vented range you should first explore best ways to get it vented. That should determine the best location for it.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

Because if you can do the fridge/range swap you could explore opening up that area over the range so you have some connection to your living spaces

Additionally, if you do this swap - you could just change the swing on the garage door so the 36" counter to the right of the fridge in Design Girl's plan is a place to plop groceries as you come in.

• AbbyJoy
    3 years ago

Hi Sam, a little late to this discussion... I'm wondering if you would use the entry door from foyer? If not, I would close it off, I think it'd make a nicer foyer too. You could move refrigerator there with shallow pantry cabinet on one or both sides. I agree with other suggestions - moving dining room door left for more counter either side of stove, changing swing of garage door, extend counter under window. I like the flooring, but not with cabinet color. Wonder what color would coordinate with the blue tile?

I really like your house!

sam lee thanked AbbyJoy
  • sam lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@AbbyJoy thx for the comments! Personally I like centering that doorway by the foyer, it seems like it would “flow” better than closing it off because I think having an entry there makes kitchen access easier from the bedrooms side. That said..most of my own people along with many in this forum prefer to close it. I haven’t decided yet, but I taped off that entry for now to see how it feels.

@thinkdesignlive yes thats exactly what I’m doing now..trying to see where I want to vent the range