Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stack176

Should I add a floating shelf over my sink?

Ash Y
3 years ago

Hi all, I’m getting into the finishing details of my kitchen. I have 30” cabinets over my sink, and about 28” between the counter and bottom of the cabinets.

Now unfortunately I’m pretty short (5‘1”) so reaching up into that cabinet above the sink is doable but I have to stand on my toes. So I’m considering adding a shelf under the cabinet, maybe 10 or 11 inches deep, for plates and bowls and glasses that I use frequently.

However, I also have to contend with my electrical box which is the big white square on the wall and can’t be moved. If I put a shelf it will have to go right above the electrical box so I’ll have at most 8 inches between the shelf and bottom of the cabinet. Is it worth it do you think? Would it look too crowded?

Appreciate any advice!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I would not install the shelf with the light position.

• Ash Y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean? Are you talking about the overhead or the undercabinet lights? I honestly never even use the undercabinet lights but my contractor threw them in for free so I let him install.

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

I wouldn't do it - the 8" won't give you much space, plus you'll block the light (I assume that is a box for a light).

• ceilsan32
    3 years ago

Have you seen the pull out/down shelf from Hafele? It would solve your problem of accessing items easily. Putting items on a shelf over the sink near that electrical box will be too tight a fit. I'm genuinely surprised that the box was placed so closely to the sink, given the potential for water splashing.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

What is in the room behind the electrical box? If that is the laundry or a bathroom, you could perhaps have the electrical box reversed into that space. It really should not be in the kitchen or near a sink. If you can’t move it, at least cover it with something.

Ash Y thanked felizlady
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

A shelf would be way too tight there. Get a nice step stool to store somewhere in the kitchen.

• Ash Y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I live in a condo building, the other side of the wall is the hallway/elevator. Trust me i have already moved as much as I'm allowed to.

No one seems to like the shelf idea so perhaps I'll store plates/glasses in other cabinets and put items I don't use as often in the ones above the sink.

• MaryBocaTX
    3 years ago

Hi Ash - I’m sure you have finished the reno by now, but just in case...I would DEFINITELY put a shelf there! Even if it were just 8 inches of space. I am 6’1” but my BFF is 4’11.5” (don’t try to say she’s 4’11”!) and she would go crazy w/o that shelf. Especially if there were limited storage. I mean, you’re staring at a wall anyway, why not use it for your everyday plates, glasses, bowls, etc.?

you’ve probably already backsplash-ed the whole area and this comment is moot, but I wanted you to know that I agree with your original gut feeling. And if that electrical box doesn’t have to open all the way back against the wall (under the invisible shelf) then you could also do a shelf that changes direction... something like this:

Anyway - just a thought. I’m sure you’re enjoying your new kitchen!