Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Au revoir Season 2020

seil zone 6b MI
3 years ago

It's the end of the season here. I won't get any more blooms now until June 2021.\

Watercolor Home Run

Lowell Thomas

St. Patrick

Golden Wings

Softee

End of Trail bouquet of buds with color. Hoping the warmth of the house will encourage them to open

Comments (36)

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    3 years ago

I feel you Seil! I had my first frost about two weeks ago and my tomatoes, coleus, and cannas were zapped, but my petunias are still hanging in there!
    My roses have buds, and it's highly likely I won't see much more than this.
    Last year we went from "normal autumn" to that record cold the first week of November and the last of my blooms were on Halloween.
    Today, in the garden...
    Munstead Wood, Fragrant Cloud, Quietness (who does have more buds, but more closed), and my sweet little Perle d'Or (whom, though I adore, has been dwindling. Definitely not climate appropriate even in my most protected location).

Steven

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Welcome to the good-bye roses club! We're a little bit sad, but a lot hopeful about spring coming and new roses/blooms!! We're having temps today of 11C/54F!!!! The snow is melting everywhere...but no worries...more tonight. LOL I took my Stainless Steel bush out onto the driveway. I'm hoping its hip will ripen more.

My favorite is your Watercolor Home Run!!! It's really, really, pretty!!! I love everything about it!!! Your Lowell Thomas is lovely...

Gather ye rose petals whilst you may.

So I'm glad you're taking advantage of your last blooms and bringing them in. Do you have a lot of buds that didn't get a chance to open?

3 years ago

I have a couple bushes with hips (Chianti here), a couple bud shots of Madame Anisette, and the bush of Quietness.

It's so cool and wet today. 39°F and raining. Ah, autumn's progression into the still of gardens in the North winter

Steven

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Oh they all look so lovely for their final show of the season ! I hope they brought you all lots of joy this summer.

Mine are gearing up for a flush that maybe ( fingers crossed! ) will be good! Everything for the past couple months has just roasted or looked ragged . I’m feeling optimistic!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like you still have quite a bit blooming MGT!

No Carol, not a lot of buds. They have their fall flush in September and so they don't really have enough time to cycle for another flush before it gets too dark and too cold.

No snow here yet. We haven't really even had a hard frost. Just a light one the other night. All my annuals are still fine. But they'll be toast soon I'm sure. I planted my spring bulbs today and dug out the summer bulbs to store for the winter.

Lillyfinch we are all counting on your pictures of beautiful blooms to get us through the winter, lol!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Seil - well, hopefully, that made it a little easier if you didn't have to sacrifice so many buds.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    3 years ago

Love these photos! I have come to love late October. The cool weather brings out the best colors. Those final few determined blooms mixed with ripening hips is a glorious and bittersweet farewell. Sweet dreams roses, see you again in June.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

So many gorgeous blooms for the season’s grand finale. I should probably cage my baby roses (once bloomers) so the rabbits don’t make it part of the Golden Corral all you can eat buffet they think my garden is.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Seil, do you still grow Red Intuition? If so, what is your impression of this rose?

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry, Mas, but RI is gone now. I did like it and it lived for 6 years but the last polar winter took it. It was a pretty typical HT. Tall, narrow, upright growth habit. Very distinct bloom cycles about 8 weeks apart. Very black spot prone. The blooms were not huge but good sized. No fragrance. Very thick petals so blooms lasted a long time both on the bush and cut.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Thanks, Seil! I do no spray so black spot prone is not good. Blooms are gorgeous, though. :/

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Red Intuition is fairly bs resistant in my garden. I do spray but you can still tell which get more bs than others. Might just be the particular strain/s of bs here or there. Red Intuition is a bloom machine here ( NC) with good vigor.

We're expecting a freeze pretty soon but right now the fall flush is upon us. We've had rain this summer from four hurricanes coming up this way from the gulf. Hurricane 4 will get here in a matter of hours. Just 30 mph winds.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ratdogheads - good thinking! It's hard to be positive during fall. Personally Fall is my least favorite month. But, it's a good thing everyone is different. :) :)

Noseometer...yup, join the snow brigade. LOL What are those luscious blooms?!!! LOVE!!!

We're expecting really nice weather the end of this week and on to the next...

11-13C/52-55F!!! This will be more time to stick my Stainless Steel rose outside to further ripen the hip! Yes!

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    3 years ago

Snow brigade?! This is the desert! Well, I'll take moisture if we get it. But bummer that the roses are over. 6 months is a long time to wait. I come from a warmer more moderate climate than this. This just seems wrong, even after 20 years.

The roses in the bouquets are: Radio Times, Dee-lish, Bishop's Castle, Evelyn, Boscobel, Munstead Wood and Sonia Rykiel. Darn, I forgot to cut the Marie Pavie and Desdemona flowers.

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    3 years ago

I have a few roses who were so close to opening up their first blooms but it got cold before they could. I was looking forward so much to Beverly and Mountain Music’s maiden blooms! So close.

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    3 years ago

Almost had a first for Heritage and Munstead Wood too. Ah well, next year!

I did get a few beautiful blooms from Angel Face, Earth Angel, and Tiddly Winks. Those will have to do until Spring.

3 years ago

LauraLG - with buds that size, if you cut them and brought them in, they should be able to open up.

3 years ago

LauraL, those were so very close!
    You're final blooms look wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing!

Steven

3 years ago

noseometer, I am so surprised at the snow you've gotten!
    Marquette (in da UP, Dontcha Know!) has gotten a bunch as well. I'm always amazed by the weather differences and changes across the state as seasons progress.

Steven

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    3 years ago

Noseometer - I was wondering if that would work or not. I just figured they wouldn’t open. I think I’ll go clip a few tomorrow! I have 2 on Munstead, 2 on Heritage, 1 on Mountain Music (my most anticipated), 2 on Desmond Tutu and a few on Life’s Little Pleasures but I think those are a bit small to try to add into a bouquet.

Steven - Thank you! Most of these were planted in late August and September. I wasn’t expecting blooms but was really excited about getting those buds!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Noseometer - Ooops!!! LOL...I didn't look...you're from New Mexico!!!! And you had snow??!!!! What in the world???!!!

Laura - that is discouraging. I'm glad you got 2 blooms...but you wuz robbed. Your Angel Face is incredible!!

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Laura, bring them inside. They will open for you. Is a great way to enjoy your last blooms.

3 years ago

rosecanadian - I know! It's so early and so much. Usually we get snow around Thanksgiving.But here at nearly 7,000 feet in elevation, the weather is highly variable. Or it's just another weird thing about this weird year.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laurel, I cut any buds that have color showing and bring them inside. They don't all open but a lot of them do. When you bring them in snip a tiny bit off the stems under tepid water, not cold water, and put them in a vase of room temp water. That encourages them to open.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Noseometer - yes, you are situated very highly elevated!!! We're at a more manageable 3,438 miles.

Seil - those are good tricks of the trade to know!

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    3 years ago

Sigh...

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awww, ratdog, that is so sad!

3 years ago

I feel for you! It seems like such a long time before we can expect the next blooms.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Awwwww...it seems so vulnerable. Like Charle Brown's Christmas tree.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

I need to get out and see who is stil blooming

This has been the most incredible Oct that I can remember. Not to make anyone sad but we have been in the upper 70s. But it will all change in the next two weeks.

Getting dark so early always bums me out. Yuk! I basically have only a little time on the weekends to get anything done and I have so much to do. Oh well, in the bigger picture what good does stressing out do ? It kind of defeats the whole purpose of gardening.

Seeing my frozen elephant ears, dahlias and zinnias was kind of sad though.

Normally the end of rose season heralds the beginning of the holiday season and even that is a bust this year. I guess what we will do instead of one big Thanksgiving is several very small diners. I guess we are all being more creative this year.

Crimson Glory still blooming. Such a beautiful color and fragrence.

Happy Halloween everyone.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Kristine - Now I'm regretting now getting Crimson Glory....that's fabulous!!! We're getting really warm weather next week...up to 15C/59F!!! Calgary gets Chinook winds which really warms things up. But the next weekend we're back to freezing temps and snow. LOL...but this week is going to be great! Yeah...this time of year can really be a bummer when you see all of your beautiful flowers and plants get pummeled by the cold. Good news is that I'm already past that...and soon you will be too. It's tough right now for you though.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Kristine, that bloom is gorgeous! Is the fragrance really strong?

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love your CG, Kristine!

We're expecting 60s this week too. Hoping to get the rest of the yard locked down for winter.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Crimson Glory has a wonderful fragrance.

Carol. I dont think that you would be disappointed if you get if you grow this one.

Veterans honor is still blooming her little heart out

The bloom in the vase is past 3 weeks.

Easy Does it is still loaded with blooms.

My big job is going to be separating my daylilies and replanting in fresh soil. I wonder when I should do that ?

I cleaned out my new bed which sadly has the neighbors Vinca taking over. I spend so much time fighting the Vinca. The weeds are bad enough.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Seil - it's a lot of work to get the garden ready for winter. Pace yourself...

Kristine - There's something to be said about those older red varieties for wonderful fragrance! :) I googled Vinca...pretty flowers...but invasive is as invasive does...too bad she/he planted it in the first place.