Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ames_rn

Any ideas on how I can spruce up this exterior

Ames RN
3 years ago

I would like to paint and maybe add some shutter and columns? (Are decorative shutters old school)to the front entry raised ranch. but there is a stairway on the side....how could I make it work? how much would this cost typically and who do I contract? An architect or a contractor? The 2nd home is the inspiration

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

You have no space to do anything similar for a portico the kleft side is too tight a nice awning over the door is probably it. I would choose a new paint color that actually works with the brick, a new front door and enlrge those windows over the garage and then go to work on the landscaping.

• Ames RN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow thank you so much for responding. Those are great ideas

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

BTW I love this color with brick

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I think that inspo pic is totally feasible. I would just continue the brick on the base of the columns instead of stone. And I’d white wash all of it. I would replace the garage door with something bigger , if possible or at least paint it. The front door should also be replaced with something bigger. Maybe black? (For both the garage and front door) do you want to do the same material you use for the Columns as a new railing? Or maybe just replace that also in black? Definitely add a new light over the door

Your house seems really well kept btw the grass is beautiful!! Rlly rlly green

I would add some boxwoods to the landscape also!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

If you have a large budget, enlarging small windows may be feasible. Once you start talking about structural changes to an existing home, you are talking about a bigger budget. Structural changes affect interior and exterior elements. An architect can help you come up with a more substantial entrance with a roof for protection during wet weather. A contractor is the person you hire to get the work done. Because the house has brick trim now, continue with matching brick for the entry structure. Enlarging the ‘look’ of the windows over the garage is easier and less costly than enlarging the actual windows: you can add shutters to both. The other windows don’t need shutters. The windows in the garage door are the wrong shape for the style of the house...rectangular windows would look more appropriate. You may decide to replace the garage door since you can’t change its windows. The garage door can be painted to match the exterior color so it becomes less prominent.

• asbeck1965
    3 years ago

You can go a few different directions here depending on the style of house you want. The good news is aside from being a split level, the facade is neutral. My first thoughts would be to go contemporary and minimalist. But that isn't for everyone.

But if you had the desire to really maximize the impact, I would go the direction in this picture.

Without pointing to every feature, the overall reason the facade in the photo is appealing is because it is balanced. Your current facade has too much uninterrupted narrow lap siding. Make changes that create balance and also accentuates specific architectural details. I would get a designer to help guide you and get a plan.

I agree you need a cover or roof above the front door to offset the space above the door. The overall style of the house you want will dictate if that is a gabled, shed, or wood/metal awning.

Below are a few suggestions but certainly not all the options available. Good luck on your journey!

1. Change the siding on the left side bump out with vertical board and batten.

2. On the right side, add brick or stone at ground level to balance that with the existing brick to left.

3. If changing windows, take the opportunity to address the scale and increase the size according.

• asbeck1965
    3 years ago

For some reason, the picture did not post.

• Ames RN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gorgeous! I love this community forum...very helpful suggestions. Thank you everyone for your input

• Zabi tat
    3 years ago

You could give your door an update too! Zabitat offers decorative, privacy, storm doors, blinds and more. Email marketing@zabitat.com for an updated mockup of your door and see what it could look like! www.zabitat.com 855-813-3111