Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Recommendations for faux Christmas trees?

Sueb20
3 years ago

I don’t think there has been a recent post on this. For a few reasons, I’m thinking of going with a fake tree again. We had one for years because of middle DS allergies, then when he grew out of those, we got real trees for many years. Now I‘m thinking the convenience and non-shedding-ness of a faux tree are appealing. And, if we are home a lot, maybe I leave it up longer for extra holiday cheer?

I would like a fairly tall and narrow tree since our ceilings are 9’ but our rooms are not large. Any recommendations for brands that offer good quality trees?

Comments (24)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Do you like them w snow? I got a snow covered one from Terrain (Anthropologie) and I love it. TBH tho it's very hard to hang ornaments on it. I don't think they have mine here but they have lovely trees for sure!

https://www.shopterrain.com/categories/christmas-trees

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

Several years ago I wanted a pre-lit slimmer tree and I’m happy with the one I got from Treetopia.

Sueb20 thanked Joaniepoanie
  • Oakley
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Last year I downsized to a 4.5 tree I ordered from Amazon and out of all the trees I've had that cost $$$$, the appearance of this tree when lit just blew me away. I put it on a table, not the floor. My tree

Here is National Tree Company's website on Amazon for slim trees. If I were to go back to a taller tree I'd get one from this company.

ETA: Notice the good ratings on their slim trees. Also, the years I had the white tree with lots of colorful ornaments, we had a ton of compliments. Go white!

Sueb20 thanked Oakley
  • roxanna7
    3 years ago

IMHO, especially if you want a very natural-looking fake tree AND tend to be generous with the ornaments, the tree I whole-heartedly recommend is the Noblis Fir. (Note spelling.) It is offered at GrandinRoad.com, and Christmas stuff is now 20% off there. Comes in several heights. These are not lit, but it is easy enough to put up your choice of lights. I am 74, and managed to put this together easily by myself, including the lights.

One of the best aspects of this particular tree for me is that the branches are spaced widely enough with tweaking that there are lovely spaces for big or extra-long ornaments.

My Christmas decorating style, honed over many decades, follows the "too much is just enough" philosophy. My Noblis tree is utterly covered with so many ornaments that there is not a single space left for another. I place them from the branch tips all the way into the area around the trunk.

Full disclosure here: My tree has been in place in my living room for the past four years. This year will be the fifth. Never took it down, as I was extremely pleased at how it turned out. Besides that, I am getting too old/frail to go through all the annual bother. AND I cannot recall where all the boxes are to put stuff away, anyway. (Perhaps I ought to consider dusting it this year....)

=)

Sueb20 thanked roxanna7
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

We have been through 2 expensive trees over years, bought at a local garden store aNd loved both of them, bu it was time to downsize a couple of years ago. We just didn’t need to decorate a 9‘ tree anymore. Bought one that is 7.5’ with a lot of lights at Hobby Lobby and am happy with it. And this was after pouring through around 50 sites online including Wayfair, Grandin road, etc. Not really but it seemed like it. I need to actually feel the branches as I don’t like the plastic feeling ones. I prefer the ones that have more of a fabric like feel that will fluff up if that makes sense. Good luck!

Sueb20 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

A friend of mine recommened Balsam Hill as a brand. The most realistic will be pricey, but it is worth looking into.

I thought about doing a faux tree here, but it simply feels "weird" putting one in a log home.

Sueb20 thanked artemis_ma
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had read something (somewhere) praising balsam hill too...I like their variety of size options. Looking at this one:

• Oakley
    3 years ago
    Sueb20 thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I always think the slimness is a giveaway that a tree is faux, but it seems some prefer them?

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah but the slimness is what I’m after!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Oakley. I think I am going to have to shop in person for this. We do have a good local garden store that sells fake trees that are on display. It’s really hard to see what the trees really look like online.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Why do people prefer slim trees? Seems’many do. I agree in person is best!

• ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

I saw this review recently. It will either help or thoroughly confuse you :)

https://lifeonvirginiastreet.com/?s=Christmas+trees

• jmck_nc
    3 years ago

We ordered one from Balsam Hill and it was garbage so we sent it back. We ended up with one from Home Depot that we saw on display and it is great. I can't recall the brand. If possible to see in person that really helps with the decision. We had fresh trees for many years when we put up a 12 ft tree but along with downsizing our house we downsized and simplified our tree!

• jmck_nc
    3 years ago

Also, they always sell out early so the sooner the better.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mtn, as I said in my OP, my rooms are small. Typically the tree takes up like 1/4 of my little library room. Small rooms plus wide doorways = skinny tree.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I was going to say, I would have to look at the tree. You should be fine (safe) going to garden centers I don't have a clue what brand our trees our (yes, I have a variety of trees stored away). The one I use in our master bedroom is flocked and we love it. It's a petite tree but a beautiful shape. It's not slim, but since it's smaller, it works great. I'm 5'2 and do not want a tree shorter than me LOL! That tree is probably 5 ft, but we put it in a basket and the Mr. put's pieces of wood at the bottom to raise it up to basket level, so that makes it a bit taller. We always, always have at tree in our bedroom. Main tree, which this year is going in great room instead of sun room, is a slim variety. I'm guessing 6 or 6.5. We bought it at a local floral/gift shop right off of display one year at their Christmas Open House!! I had to purchase it after Christmas. Love it. It just seems more places the slim tree works. There are slim trees in nature and I guess I don't pretend that it is real. We put up a tree Thanksgiving and no way a real tree would last that long. Good luck!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Oops, sorry... i get an F in reading comprehension. I think the white ones are fun but if your decorations are traditional, green is best.

• jill302
    3 years ago

Our favorite tree is a Barcana tree. We have received many compliments on it. Our tree will be 24 years old this year, and still very beautiful. We have the Alaskan Fir tree which has enough space between the branches to hang ornaments deep in the tree, the needles are very realistic.

Barcana trees are on the pricey side, we actually bought our’s under a similar situation as Tina Marie, we saw it at a designer’s store and bought it for pick-up after her post-Christmas sale for less than half the price we could find it anywhere else. A new Barcana tree like ours is available through Crate and Barrel and Overstock. The trees come with a 25 year warranty.

We like our tree so much that we are planning on replacing our second tree, a silver tinsel, with another Barcana Alaskan Fir tree.

Sueb20 thanked jill302
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just wanted to check back in — I ended up ordering a National Tree Co tree from Lowe’s and I’m pretty happy with it! I only wish I had ordered a slightly taller tree, but that’s okay. It’s a good size for the room (which is small) and has lots of branches, was easy to set up, etc. We set it up and threw some lights on it; ornaments can wait until Friday. Or maybe even Thanksgiving night since all 3 kids will be here.

The tree was unlit — I wanted to be able to do my own lights. They aren’t as bright as they appear in this pic!

• jill302
    3 years ago

Very pretty, glad you found a tree that works well for you.

Sueb20 thanked jill302
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

Roxanna - no need to dust the tree. It's "snow". Yeah, faux snaux. Ha!

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

Looks so pretty, Sue 🎄

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd